8bit PNG optimization

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
wmjordan
Mitglied

8bit PNG optimization

Beitrag von wmjordan »

Please take a look at this www.tinypng.com​ which provides 24bit PNG to 8bit PNG (with partial transparency support) quantization service support. In the lower part of their web site, there is a demonstration of the output.

Is it possible to optimize the quantization algorithm in PL to make 8bit PNG like them?
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: 8bit PNG optimization

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Nice result. On a closer look I see that the alpha channel is not only reduced, but has also lots of erroneous pixels in it. I'd have to look for my Png-tools and descriptions, I guess Png allows to treat alpha as element of each color when reducing.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

If you are on Windows, dowload ColorQuantizer, and set it up as an external program. CQ is THE best PNG optimizer I am aware of - and it gives you the option for a quality mask as well as quite in-depth optimization options.

http://x128.ho.ua/color-quantizer.html

TinyPNG is nice, but CQ is far more configurable and controllable.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
wmjordan
Mitglied

Beitrag von wmjordan »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:If you are on Windows, dowload ColorQuantizer, and set it up as an external program. CQ is THE best PNG optimizer I am aware of - and it gives you the option for a quality mask as well as quite in-depth optimization options.

OMG, it is a must have! Ultra fast and high quality!
Christopher
Mitglied

Beitrag von Christopher »

wmjordan hat geschrieben: OMG, it is a must have! Ultra fast and high quality!
What is OMG???
Gruss Christopher

IMatch zur Bilderverwaltung, Capture One und DxO PhotoLab
als RAW-Converter und PhotoLine (x64) zur Bildbearbeitung.
Es geht auch sehr gut ohne Abobe Produkte und Adobe's Abomodell.
Betriebssystem Windows 11 22H2
Eurgail
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eurgail »

Oh, My God. :-)
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

wmjordan hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:If you are on Windows, dowload ColorQuantizer, and set it up as an external program. CQ is THE best PNG optimizer I am aware of - and it gives you the option for a quality mask as well as quite in-depth optimization options.

OMG, it is a must have! Ultra fast and high quality!
Yep, one of the web's best kept secrets. It works wonderfully well with Photoline's external app link: send a layer or layer group, and optimize it. Nothing else comes close to its control and options (as far as PNG optimization goes, of course).

Set it up like that, and CQ feels as if it was part of Photoline all along! I assigned the F10 key to fire up CQ.

I use it both for web export and game assets: export a layer group, then I click "auto crop borders" (icon to the left of the info button) in order to auto-crop the graphic's transparent borders, and resizing is also possible (a ridiculous number of resampling methods are available), which is very handy when working with high resolution assets.

Another boon: Photoline lacks an indexed colour mode. With CQ it is possible to control an indexed colour palette on export quite precisely. Click on any pixel in the preview, and that colour is selected in the colour palette. Then right-mouse click on that colour to edit (replace) it, for example.

Also, try clicking on the small colour palette icon directly to the right of the OK button: many dithering algorithms to choose from (including Photoshop's "pattern" dithering, which is quite nice). The priority for rare colours and the dithering amount may also be controlled here.

It's a great tool if you need high level PNG export control.
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

It really took some tweaking, but in the end CQ made a nicer and smaller Png from the original Panda picture, even though it was already meant to make tinypng look good. But some description about "rare colors" and "do not mix colors" would be nice.

XiMagic quantizer offers Lab and YCrCb, free number of colors and a nice way to compare different settings, but it lacks the Alpha channel, quality mask and the ordered patterns. But in general it seems that I would prefer CQ now.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
wmjordan
Mitglied

Beitrag von wmjordan »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:It works wonderfully well with Photoline's external app link: send a layer or layer group, and optimize it. Nothing else comes close to its control and options (as far as PNG optimization goes, of course).
Thank you for the detailed introduction. I am new to this tool. Could you please guide me how to send the layer or layer group to that tool?
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

wmjordan hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:It works wonderfully well with Photoline's external app link: send a layer or layer group, and optimize it. Nothing else comes close to its control and options (as far as PNG optimization goes, of course).
Thank you for the detailed introduction. I am new to this tool. Could you please guide me how to send the layer or layer group to that tool?
1) In the main menu choose Filter-->External Programs-->Manage External Programs
2) Click on the + button. Navigate to where you saved the CQ executable, and select it. (Mine is cq_2.exe)
3) set the exchange format to PNG.
4) choose "Layer" instead of "Ask".

That's it. Click OK to close the options. You will now be able to select a layer or layer group, and choose CQ in the external program list.

To assign a shortcut key: Edit-->Options-->Usage-->Keyboard Layout. Navigate to the CQ link under Filter-->External Programs-->CQ_2. I assigned F10. Click in the "New Shortcut" field, and hit the F10 key. Next, click the "Assign" button to assign that shortcut to the CQ command.

Done!
wmjordan
Mitglied

Beitrag von wmjordan »

Thank you for your kind guidance!
I've successfully set up PL to use CQ.
It is really so cool to be integrated into PL.

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: 1) In the main menu choose Filter-->External Programs-->Manage External Programs
2) Click on the + button. Navigate to where you saved the CQ executable, and select it. (Mine is cq_2.exe)
3) set the exchange format to PNG.
4) choose "Layer" instead of "Ask".

That's it. Click OK to close the options. You will now be able to select a layer or layer group, and choose CQ in the external program list.
J0s3f
Mitglied

Beitrag von J0s3f »

Here is a nice overview of PNG optimization tools. I use ZopfliPNG mostly.