Equivalent PS command "Equalize" (wish)

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
gennadiy
Mitglied

Equivalent PS command "Equalize" (wish)

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Hello dear developers and everyone else.

There is action for Photoshop PPW "Modern Man from Mars" (D.Margulis).
I'm trying to create an action to work PL.
PS action uses the command "Equalize".

The PL can partially replace it with "Optimize Contrast" command, which can be used per channel (Lab).
In PL it works the image area.

In PS it can work this way:
1. Select the image portion using the lasso
2. Contrast defined in the selected area "transferred" to the rest of the image:
1.jpg
2.jpg
Is it possible to implement similar in PL?
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Equivalent PS command "Equalize" (wish)

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

What the name means and what the internet says, the function finds the brightest and the darkest point in the selected are and uses this for a "Curves" or "Histogram" correction.
So you can do the same in PhotoLine - but you can't record it.
Since I don't see a meaningful use for such a function, I think it's an old thing in some photo software. That's why it has no preview or adjustment layer.
At the moment we don't plan to implement this in PhotoLine.
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

I wrote down the process in the form of action:
1.jpg
(There is in particular:
L Optimize Contrast
a->L swap Optimize Contrast L->a swap
b->L swap Optimize Contrast L->b swap)

He creates for later use in a method Margulis:
2.jpg
3.jpg

I would like it to has the option to "Optimize Contrast",
which works on the selected area, spreading its effect
for everything else (like PS - Equalize).
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

In PL, you can use the fact that PL can compute automatic histogram corrections on selections.

Try the following (which could be made into an action quite easily)
  • Make a selection
  • Create a histogram correction adjustment layer
  • Change to HIS mode (unfortunately, PL doesn't offer Lab here if your image is RGB)
  • Select I channel
  • click on auto-adjust for current channel
  • de-select
  • fill the entire adjustment layer with while (this will apply the adjustment to the entire image)
This gives a result which, applied to your sample image, is very close to your result.

If you absolutely have to work with Lab channels, you'd have to convert your image to Lab (16 bit) first.

With this approach, you can even fine-tune your results with the adjustment layer.

Alternatively, if you don't want to work with adjustment layers: with your selection, start a histogram correction, press the auto-adjust button, take a note of the values, cancel, de-select and make a histogram correction with the recorded values.

Cheers

Burkhard

P.S. If I understand the action you just mentioned correctly, it does an "Equalize" for each of L,a,b separately, by swapping the channels into L. In PL, this is much easier – you can do the auto-adjust for all three channels in a single step.
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Thanks, I'll try.

Here I would like this option:
5.jpg
I think the developers would not be very difficult to add.
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

bkh hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Sep 2019 08:43 you can use the fact that PL can compute automatic histogram corrections on selections.
Unfortunately, "histogram corrections" and "optimize contrast" produce different results,
differently distributing pixels, the first working on the edge, and the second is evenly distributed.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

gennadiy hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Sep 2019 09:56 Unfortunately, "histogram corrections" and "optimize contrast" produce different results,
differently distributing pixels, the first working on the edge, and the second is evenly distributed.
Ah, I thought you only wanted to apply it to small and relatively low contrast selections where the effect is similar.

Otoh, it should not be hard to add an "optimize based on selection" option to PL's "Optimize Contrast".

Cheers

Burkhard
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Sep 2019 07:41 What the name means and what the internet says, the function finds the brightest and the darkest point in the selected are and uses this for a "Curves" or "Histogram" correction.
So you can do the same in PhotoLine - but you can't record it.
Since I don't see a meaningful use for such a function, I think it's an old thing in some photo software. That's why it has no preview or adjustment layer.
At the moment we don't plan to implement this in PhotoLine.
I mean this:
viewtopic.php?p=46423#p46423