Merging selected layers

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Merging selected layers

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I have been working with PhotoLine to replace skies and also generate reflections of the new sky in any water elements in the image. Mostly this has been to make sure I know how to do the tasks required in a sky replacement using PhotoLine as I don't generally do sky replacements, preferring my photos to reflect how the scene actually looked when I took the image. But in doing this work I have had to generate multiple layer pairs including the ground and sky, and water elements and an inverted sky for the reflections and could not find a way to do one of the things I wanted to do - select multiple layers so as to merge them. Not flatten the image, but merge specified layers.

I can merge a layer with the layer directly below it in the stack my using Merge Down, but I was unable to find a way to select more than one layer at a time so as to merge multiple layers at the same time. Is this possible in PhotoLine? And, if so, how?
shijan
Mitglied

Re: Merging selected layers

Beitrag von shijan »

1.In Layer List Select required Layers.

2.In Layer List Mouse Right-Click on Layer name area or on layer space right from the name area (anywhere but, not on layer Thumbnail or Layer Eye icon)

3. Select "Merge Layers" command from menu.

P.S. Same as any other command, you can add "Merge Layers" command icon to any custom toolbar or to middle click Context Menu.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

> 1.In Layer List Select required Layers.

But that is the problem. I can not select more than one layer in the layer list. I have tried using the Control key, the Alt key, the Ctrl-Alt keys and every other combination that I can think of and can not seem to select more than one layer at a time. As soon as I select a second layer the first selected layer unselects.

So what am I doing wrong?
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Guess you Command-click on Layer Thumbnail instead of Layer Name area :)
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Another possible source of your problem could be unchecked option "Mark All Selected Layers" in Layer List Panel menu. Make Sure it looks like this:
Bild
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

shijan hat geschrieben: So 19 Dez 2021 01:01 Guess you Command-click on Layer Thumbnail instead of Layer Name area :)
No. That does not work either.

No matter where I click on the layer and no matter what key combination I try (of those I have tried) when I select a new layer the previously selected layer deselects.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

shijan hat geschrieben: So 19 Dez 2021 01:52 Another possible source of your problem could be unchecked option "Mark All Selected Layers" in Layer List Panel menu. Make Sure it looks like this:
Bild
That is already set to Mark All Layers.

Based on the responses I assume I am the only one seeing this behavior, so it must be something that is set or not set in the app. I just don't know what that might be. Fortunately I can do what I want without this, but it is clear that something on my system is amiss and I just don't know what.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Yep, seems you broke something. Delete Preferences folder and see if it helps.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: So 19 Dez 2021 00:54 But that is the problem. I can not select more than one layer in the layer list. I have tried using the Control key, the Alt key, the Ctrl-Alt keys and every other combination that I can think of and can not seem to select more than one layer at a time. As soon as I select a second layer the first selected layer unselects.
The Layer List uses the usual modifier keys: Shift to select ranges, Ctrl (on Windows) or Command (on macOS) to add another layer to the selection.

In the Preferences at "Working > Special" you can activate a checkmark with "Layer List with selection field". This way, you can see whether extending the selected layer with Shift/Command/Ctrl works. Additionaly, you can use the checkmark to add layers to the selection.

Martin
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: So 19 Dez 2021 12:17 In the Preferences at "Working > Special" you can activate a checkmark with "Layer List with selection field". This way, you can see whether extending the selected layer with Shift/Command/Ctrl works. Additionaly, you can use the checkmark to add layers to the selection.
Thank you. The checkmarks simplified everything. Now I can just check the layers I want selected and merge them.

From what I can see the original problem is that when I selected a second layer the highlight of the previously selected layer became darker, leading me to believe that it was no longer selected. With the checkmark I can see that it is still selected and a test of merging them showed that things are working as I expected, other than the old layer not "looking" like it was still selected.

I guess I have been having "teething" problems as I learn PhotoLine, but each day I seem to learn something new that makes working with it easier and faster, so I am grateful to the advice I get on this forum.

Thank you all.