greenmorpher wrote:What exactly do you mean :clarified with an overlay layer"
You can try it like this:
1. Duplicate the original image into a layer, set the blend mode to Overlay
2. Make the layer grayscale
3. Invert the layer, ie. make it negative
4. Take gaussian blur and apply it to the layer - I used radius 20 for the owl pic.
5. Adjust the strenght of the effect with Opacity
6. I used Unsharp Mask as the final sharpen effect with radius 1.2 and strenght of 300% (but I did that in linear space, so the effect is somewhat different from normal sRGB editing)