it takes quite a long time before it starts up (around a minute)
It appears to be limited to Windows. Just timed the process for comparison: When I purge all data (similar to rebooting) and start this Beta, it's up in 4.3 seconds, even though my system is a tad older and less beefed up than yours:
Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 11.39.30.jpg
Opening a 44 MegaPixel TIFF @16bit with a size of ~ 210 MB from an external FireWire 800 drive via Thunderbolt takes 1.2 seconds, from an external USB 3.1 drive 1.9 seconds.
[ Update: ]
Just timed another file. A 113 MegaPixel TIFF @16bit with a size of 670 MB from an external FireWire800 drive via Thunderbolt takes 3.2 seconds.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
Hoogo hat geschrieben: So 11 Aug 2024 16:23
Have you tried holding the shift key during startup? That should ignore the file browser window during startup.
THANK YOU! I had completely forgotten about holding down the shift key.
It works again! A few days ago I had a spontaneous blue screen of death, and PhotoLine was open with larger files. Something must have happened to a file or temporary file (perhaps corrupted?), because every time I tried opening the File menu it would lock up.
Issue solved!
Many thanks again. I was about to reinstall PhotoLine, so this saved me hours of pain!
...so the same issue reappeared, and I am now pretty certain what is causing it.
I have been working with a very large PLD file that consists of at least 12-14 high resolution scans. The file is approx. 8.5 GB large, and saving / opening this file takes a long time (several minutes).
Last time PhotoLine locked, it happened after I was working with that file. Then I moved the original folder and held down SHIFT while starting PhotoLine. And PhotoLine worked fine again.
A few days ago I opened that file again to work on it, and now PhotoLine again takes forever (several minutes) to open. And each time I save a file it takes several minutes before PhotoLine becomes responsive again.
And during this time it locks Windows and I am unable to switch between applications with the alt-tab key or the windows task bar.
Somehow PhotoLine keeps loading or checking that file in the background. At least, it seems as if that is the case.
Will investigate further.
*edit* Yes, I can confirm that after renaming the folder that contains the large PLD file, and rebooting PhotoLine while holding down SHIFT resolves these issues.
Which makes me wonder why a heavy pld file in the history will slow down PhotoLine's File menu, saving, and opening PhotoLine itself.
How did you do this? I've never had such a huge PDF/X-4 file (these file types generate the largest file size you can get).
Just opened a file with 64 pages, containing 32 high res TIFF images. File size 173.1 MB. Time for PL to open this document: 5.8 seconds.
However, I've never generated files for printing with PL, but with Scribus. So maybe there is a difference in generating PDF files between PL and Scribus, or there is something in your file that blows up the file size (hidden or invisible elements?).
Then I saved the PDF from PL with a different name. Images @300 dpi. Saving process took 2.9 seconds, file size grew to 255.6 MB, that means the PDF saved with PL was 82.5 MB larger.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Di 20 Aug 2024 00:32
I have been working with a very large PLD file that consists of at least 12-14 high resolution scans. The file is approx. 8.5 GB large, and saving / opening this file takes a long time (several minutes).
Last time PhotoLine locked, it happened after I was working with that file. Then I moved the original folder and held down SHIFT while starting PhotoLine. And PhotoLine worked fine again.
A few days ago I opened that file again to work on it, and now PhotoLine again takes forever (several minutes) to open. And each time I save a file it takes several minutes before PhotoLine becomes responsive again.
Just to make this clear: Even saving a small file is extremeley slow, just because a large file is in the recent files?
Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Di 20 Aug 2024 00:32
And during this time it locks Windows and I am unable to switch between applications with the alt-tab key or the windows task bar.
Somehow PhotoLine keeps loading or checking that file in the background. At least, it seems as if that is the case.
Will investigate further.
*edit* Yes, I can confirm that after renaming the folder that contains the large PLD file, and rebooting PhotoLine while holding down SHIFT resolves these issues.
Which makes me wonder why a heavy pld file in the history will slow down PhotoLine's File menu, saving, and opening PhotoLine itself.
I can't reproduce this here. Saving doesn't access the files in the history.
@Martin It's so strange. I've worked with really large files before (larger than this one) and never experienced these issues before.
- I've removed/renamed the large file.
- I've started PhotoLine with SHIFT pressed down.
It then runs fine for a while. But just now PL starts acting up again. I am working with an entirely different project currently. It is a 1920x1080 game design mockup file. Quite a fair number of layers, and only 42MB file size.
The really strange thing is that when I use the toolbar button to save the file, it just works. All menus work as expected, but when I:
- click the File menu, or
- use the shortcut CTRL S, or
- use the shortcut CTRL W to close another file that is open (not matter what kind of file)
...PhotoLine locks up for several minutes. And often the blue highlighting of a menu item that I happened to hover over will flicker when I move the mouse over PhotoLine's screen.
During that lockup I cannot use CTRL-TAB or the start menu.
As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with the large file. Or perhaps it does, since it is still part of the XML file. I recall now that I did install two new fonts, and one of those did not function properly in PhotoLine, i.e. the type didn't display properly, while it did in Windows.
Anyway, I am sending you my photoline xml file straight away.
der_fotograf hat geschrieben: Mi 21 Aug 2024 07:34
The file is approx. 8.5 GB large,
How did you do this? I've never had such a huge PDF/X-4 file (these file types generate the largest file size you can get).
Just opened a file with 64 pages, containing 32 high res TIFF images. File size 173.1 MB. Time for PL to open this document: 5.8 seconds.
However, I've never generated files for printing with PL, but with Scribus. So maybe there is a difference in generating PDF files between PL and Scribus, or there is something in your file that blows up the file size (hidden or invisible elements?).
Then I saved the PDF from PL with a different name. Images @300 dpi. Saving process took 2.9 seconds, file size grew to 255.6 MB, that means the PDF saved with PL was 82.5 MB larger.
It's not PDF files I am working with.
I scanned in 1200dpi 16bit files at quite large dimensions (had to do this in pieces).
The point being that I can work precisely. And remove the halftone pattern. I takes a long time saving that file though.
Although I agree that it is a tad overkill, I have worked with much larger files before in PhotoLine. At this point I am not even sure if this file is the culprit / cause. Hopefully Martin will be able to figure something out now that I have sent him the XML settings file.
And besides: I am not currently working with that large file, so why would PhotoLine lock up in the first place when saving a 42MB file? That is the mystery.
Anyway, IMHO your file sizes appear to be way out of this world.
On the other hand, I guess that there is something in your system (memory management, cache) or the PLD file that is causing the delays and slow-downs.The developers will find out…
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
der_fotograf hat geschrieben: Do 22 Aug 2024 06:59
My apologies, instead of PLD I read PDF…
Anyway, IMHO your file sizes appear to be way out of this world.
On the other hand, I guess that there is something in your system (memory management, cache) or the PLD file that is causing the delays and slow-downs.The developers will find out…
No worries! Some of my files get quite big. And it's nothing compared to 3d files that I work with...
Yesterday evening I removed all entries of that larger file in the XML settings. I noticed those entries were still present in the XML even though I used SHIFT while starting PhotoLine.
Today I had PhotoLine open all day, and so far no slowdowns or lockups yet. Fingers crossed!
Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Mi 21 Aug 2024 21:54
The really strange thing is that when I use the toolbar button to save the file, it just works. All menus work as expected, but when I:
- click the File menu, or
- use the shortcut CTRL S, or
- use the shortcut CTRL W to close another file that is open (not matter what kind of file)
...PhotoLine locks up for several minutes. And often the blue highlighting of a menu item that I happened to hover over will flicker when I move the mouse over PhotoLine's screen.
This is quite strange and I can't replicate that with your PhotoLine.xml.
There shouldn't be any difference between Ctrl+S and the "Save" icon.
PhotoLine doesn't access other document files when saving or closing a document or opening a menu.
There are two unusual settings in your PhotoLine.xml:
File > PLD > Fast Saving: This usually speeds up saving (especially with network drives), but if you have a high memory load, this can slow it down. So with your 8 GB+ file you might try turning it off.
Browse > Creation > Browse File: "Save in user folder": This is less efficient than "Save in image folder". Nevertheless it.
Both options might be a bit slower than the standard options, but nevertheless you shouldn't get the effects you are seeing.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 30 Aug 2024 16:09
Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Mi 21 Aug 2024 21:54
The really strange thing is that when I use the toolbar button to save the file, it just works. All menus work as expected, but when I:
- click the File menu, or
- use the shortcut CTRL S, or
- use the shortcut CTRL W to close another file that is open (not matter what kind of file)
...PhotoLine locks up for several minutes. And often the blue highlighting of a menu item that I happened to hover over will flicker when I move the mouse over PhotoLine's screen.
This is quite strange and I can't replicate that with your PhotoLine.xml.
There shouldn't be any difference between Ctrl+S and the "Save" icon.
PhotoLine doesn't access other document files when saving or closing a document or opening a menu.
There are two unusual settings in your PhotoLine.xml:
File > PLD > Fast Saving: This usually speeds up saving (especially with network drives), but if you have a high memory load, this can slow it down. So with your 8 GB+ file you might try turning it off.
Browse > Creation > Browse File: "Save in user folder": This is less efficient than "Save in image folder". Nevertheless it.
Both options might be a bit slower than the standard options, but nevertheless you shouldn't get the effects you are seeing.
If you find out more, I am eager to hear.
Martin
Thank you for looking into this. I removed any entries of the large file in the settings xml file, and since then I haven't experienced any issues anymore.
The odd thing is that if I open that file, at some point PhotoLine starts acting up. And yes: saving the file via the icon in the toolbar will then work, but even 1 click on the File menu will lock PhotoLine up for minutes. And also when I try to use the keyboard shortcuts for saving or closing a file (ctrl s / w).