And yet, there is one final exception to even this rule! That is texts. You can use Text to clip layers below, but you can't use the luminosity values of the text layer. There is no drop down for this. So in essence, Text can only be used as Shape/Silhouette clips. I think luminosity for texts should be enabled too. Just like vectors. Because texts are just a sub-class of vectors as far as pure rendering goes.shijan hat geschrieben: Di 29 Sep 2026 02:02 Clip is the old good "normal" PhotoLine mask. "Show" option usually should be unchecked for it. It could be placed inside layer or remain as standalone layer or grouped with layer(s).
Clipping Mask was introduced in 25.00b8(or something so) version and mimic how mask works in Photoshop. "Show" option usually should be checked for it. Layer(s) should be placed inside it.
Clip have special options for vector layer.
Clipping Mask don't have any options.
clip.jpgclipping mask.jpg
Neue Testversion 25.60b3
-
Vivi_Ram
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 421
- Registriert: Sa 28 Sep 2024 17:04
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
-
Vivi_Ram
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 421
- Registriert: Sa 28 Sep 2024 17:04
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
I think I've stumbled upon a bug here.
I am working on a fun YT thumbnail, and as soon as I apply perturbation or rasterisation effect on the layer marked in Red in the layer stack, PL crashes. https://drive.google.com/file/d/17_JiHz ... sp=sharing - The file is here.
I've shared the event log and .dmp file on email. Thanks!
I've shared the event log and .dmp file on email. Thanks!
-
shijan
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 2033
- Registriert: Mo 23 Dez 2019 15:21
- Wohnort: Ukraine
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
Well, yes names are similar. Name "Clipping Mask" is just a naming from Photoshop, so it is logical. Name "Clip" always was used in PhotoLine, so why change it?
Text is somehow special and unfortunately don't works in same way as vectors. For example Text don't works as mask inside Isolated Group set as Clip. Here is PLD example
Text is somehow special and unfortunately don't works in same way as vectors. For example Text don't works as mask inside Isolated Group set as Clip. Here is PLD example
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
-
Vivi_Ram
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 421
- Registriert: Sa 28 Sep 2024 17:04
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
Well, yes names are similar. Name "Clipping Mask" is just a naming from Photoshop, so it is logical. Name "Clip" always was used in PhotoLine, so why change it?
If people are used to it, yeah, it's best to stick to it. Perhaps, the manual needs to clearly differentiate this and explain use cases for each. Especially because text is an exception, and you don't expect a drop down in the properties panel for setting clip behaviour.
If people are used to it, yeah, it's best to stick to it. Perhaps, the manual needs to clearly differentiate this and explain use cases for each. Especially because text is an exception, and you don't expect a drop down in the properties panel for setting clip behaviour.
-
Vivi_Ram
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 421
- Registriert: Sa 28 Sep 2024 17:04
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
I've also isolated what I think could be the source of the error.Vivi_Ram hat geschrieben: Di 29 Sep 2026 15:01 I think I've stumbled upon a bug here.I am working on a fun YT thumbnail, and as soon as I apply perturbation or rasterisation effect on the layer marked in Red in the layer stack, PL crashes. https://drive.google.com/file/d/17_JiHz ... sp=sharing - The file is here.
I've shared the event log and .dmp file on email. Thanks!
1. It has 200% Transparency
2. It is a monochrome layer
3. It has multiply blend mode
Removing all that and changing it into a greyscale layer fixes it. So there's something in that particular combination of things. Perhaps the .dmp file I shared can tell you more.
-
Vivi_Ram
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 421
- Registriert: Sa 28 Sep 2024 17:04
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
In the instance that you want to create a text/vector/raster composite mask, and still want to retain the text to come through in the mask, the answer is to make it into a placeholder. Then, you can even virtually duplicate the placeholder and continue to work on it. In the scenario that you need to view both the mask and its output in real time, you can tile the placeholder mask and the file side by side and continue to edit it.shijan hat geschrieben: Di 29 Sep 2026 15:05 Well, yes names are similar. Name "Clipping Mask" is just a naming from Photoshop, so it is logical. Name "Clip" always was used in PhotoLine, so why change it?
Text is somehow special and unfortunately don't works in same way as vectors. For example Text don't works as mask inside Isolated Group set as Clip. Here is PLD example
Screen Shot 2026-09-29 at 3.59.35 PM.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
-
Martin Huber
- Entwickler

- Beiträge: 4300
- Registriert: Di 19 Nov 2002 15:49
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
It's a completely different logic.Vivi_Ram hat geschrieben: Mo 28 Sep 2026 17:56 @Martin :There you go! I might be doing something wrong here.
Cut Mask: How is it different from clipping. They behave virtually identically.
- Cut Mask: You want to modify the appearance of your graphic, but not its shape. The graphic in this context is the cut mask (an image or a text/vector layer), and the children modify its appearance. The children can cover the complete cut mask, but don't have to. If they don't cover it completely, the original graphic will be visible. On export as PDF or SVG, the whole composition will be converted into an image.
- Clipping: You want to clip parts of your graphic. The graphic and the clipping layer can be anything, but usually the clipping layer is a vector layer or a text layer). The appearance of the clipping layer doesn't matter, it isn't used and will never be shown. Only its shape is important. This is the native kind of clipping of file formats like PDF and SVG.
It clips everything below it in the same Z-order.Vivi_Ram hat geschrieben: Mo 28 Sep 2026 17:56 Correct me if I am wrong here: The way I understand it is this -
1. (Real) Clipping Mask - Take a vector object and use it to clip an object above it - like a cookie cutter and everything within the boundary of the vector object is visible. Everything outside is invisible. You group all the objects you want to be visible within the mask. The vector object clips everything within it in the same Z-order in the layer stack. This is simple enough to follow.
I will fix that.Vivi_Ram hat geschrieben: Mo 28 Sep 2026 17:56 (...)
In any case, the behaviour I am pointing out is different. In the PLD file, I have set up two cut masks with the same vector shape. The first cut mask uses the virtual copy of the image. It is not getting clipped. Now, if you switch that layer off, you'll see the second cut mask, which works as expected. That's another thing confusing me.
-
Vivi_Ram
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 421
- Registriert: Sa 28 Sep 2024 17:04
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
Thank you, Martin! Could you also enable luminosity, path, shape, transparency for text. It would be quite useful. I'm thinking of mock ups.
With transparency enabled for texts, you can create complex overlays easily to simulate shadows.
Yes, your explanation also makes complete sense now. So I was right about the inability to cut mask virtual layers. I was going crazy trying to explain it to myself.
With transparency enabled for texts, you can create complex overlays easily to simulate shadows.
Yes, your explanation also makes complete sense now. So I was right about the inability to cut mask virtual layers. I was going crazy trying to explain it to myself.
-
Vivi_Ram
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 421
- Registriert: Sa 28 Sep 2024 17:04
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
Found yet another oddity in clipping behaviour.
So try this. Have an image and draw a vector circle over it. Now, if you right click on the eye and set it to clip. You'll see that all areas outside the circle are gone. But now invert the clip in layer properties panel and now hide the circle. By the same logic as clipping, you should see a circle shaped hole with checker pattern. Instead you see white circle. Now if you group this inverted clip with the image, you'll see it correctly punches hole through the image. That behaviour should happen outside the group too.
So try this. Have an image and draw a vector circle over it. Now, if you right click on the eye and set it to clip. You'll see that all areas outside the circle are gone. But now invert the clip in layer properties panel and now hide the circle. By the same logic as clipping, you should see a circle shaped hole with checker pattern. Instead you see white circle. Now if you group this inverted clip with the image, you'll see it correctly punches hole through the image. That behaviour should happen outside the group too.
-
shijan
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 2033
- Registriert: Mo 23 Dez 2019 15:21
- Wohnort: Ukraine
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
I guess this happens because you just use Document Mode and set Background Color to white. If change Background Color to Transparent, you will see transparent pattern.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
-
Vivi_Ram
- Mitglied
- Beiträge: 421
- Registriert: Sa 28 Sep 2024 17:04
Re: Neue Testversion 25.60b3
Fair enough. That works.
Here's one final edge case I've discovered. It is what I call composite masks made of a combination of vector, raster and text... It is much simpler to see it than explained in a comment. The file is attached.
https://limewire.com/d/MrgqX#OCEzNfXHA8 - File is here.
There are a number of problems going here:
First of all, the red mask group does not clip as it should.
If you use the placeholder layer as the mask, it works properly for a second. If you group the placeholder with the green shape below it, then minimize PL and come back to the file again, you'll see the mask is not rendering correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6HGiSBl_4 - Here's the video for it.
Here's one final edge case I've discovered. It is what I call composite masks made of a combination of vector, raster and text... It is much simpler to see it than explained in a comment. The file is attached.
https://limewire.com/d/MrgqX#OCEzNfXHA8 - File is here.
There are a number of problems going here:
First of all, the red mask group does not clip as it should.
If you use the placeholder layer as the mask, it works properly for a second. If you group the placeholder with the green shape below it, then minimize PL and come back to the file again, you'll see the mask is not rendering correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6HGiSBl_4 - Here's the video for it.