Loading DXO-DNG files

MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Loading DXO-DNG files

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I work on a Mac so these comments refer only to the Mac software.

I have found that PL can properly open and process dng files produced by the Adobe dng converter. I don't normally have any need to convert my raw files into dngs so this comment is mostly an aside, but it does have some bearing on the reason I made this post.

I normally use PL as an external editor for Dxo Optics Pro where it replaces my old (and gone) version of Photoshop CC. My normal processing involves sending tiffs to PL from OP when I need pixel editing, making whatever changes I need and saving it back to OP where I can, if I need, make further changes. But, as an experiment, I tried to send a dng from OP to PL and found that PL will not properly open the OP dngs.

As I said, this is not really a problem for me since I can just go back to using tiffs, but pretty much all of my other pixel editors will properly open the OP dngs - Photoshop Elements, Photoshop CS5.1 (on the Windows side), and even some of my older workflow software - Capture One 7 and Lightroom 4. Given that, I assume the dng files produced by OP are properly formatted, but since PL will not properly open and display the information I thought I would post this, along with the offer to upload some dng samples, in case the PL developers wanted to pursue this to find why it will not open the files.

The dng images from OP are very large - on the order of 150 MB, but I can easily put them in some cloud storage for downloading if there is any interest.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Loading DXO-DNG files

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

if you want to get a comment, I would need a sample image.

Gerhard
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:if you want to get a comment, I would need a sample image.
I have uploaded one of the files to dropbox. Here is the download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jihtlgf8k2t5 ... h.dng?dl=0
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: I have uploaded one of the files to dropbox. Here is the download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jihtlgf8k2t5 ... h.dng?dl=0
Were you able to retrieve the file?
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

I got the file now. Most of my programs here can't read it.
I try to find out, where the problem is.

Gerhard
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:Most of my programs here can't read it.
Any luck so far? Just curious.

If it matters I can open this file with much of the software on my system - Photoshop CC, Photoshop Elements 13, Photoshop CS 5.1, Lightroom, CaptureOne versions 7 and 8, Acorn and the Arcsoft Photo Viewer+. Those apps that I have that do not open the image mostly do not handle dng files at all.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

the beta versions of PhotoLine can read it since 18.90beta7.

Gerhard
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:the beta versions of PhotoLine can read it since 18.90beta7.
Is there a link that I can use to download the beta? I did not see one on the pl32 website.

Thank you.

Never mind. I found it.
Falaffel
Mitglied

Beitrag von Falaffel »

Hy,

look here.
Grüße
Robert
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Falaffel hat geschrieben: look here.
Yes. Thank you. I have it now.
Phlar
Mitglied

Beitrag von Phlar »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:the beta versions of PhotoLine can read it since 18.90beta7.

Gerhard
Sorry, PL might be able to read it. But it still displays it wrongly in 19.03. This is annoying :roll:
Bild
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Phlar hat geschrieben:Sorry, PL might be able to read it. But it still displays it wrongly in 19.03. This is annoying :roll:
even version 19.50, which is the latest version - you missed something, can't read it.
It is so, because dcraw can't read it. That's so because they write a DNG format that is incompatible to everything else. Why? I have no idea. If you have a documentation to this special DNG format, I will have a look on this problem.
Phlar
Mitglied

Beitrag von Phlar »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:
Phlar hat geschrieben:Sorry, PL might be able to read it. But it still displays it wrongly in 19.03. This is annoying :roll:
even version 19.50, which is the latest version - you missed something, can't read it.
It is so, because dcraw can't read it. That's so because they write a DNG format that is incompatible to everything else. Why? I have no idea. If you have a documentation to this special DNG format, I will have a look on this problem.
Hallo,

hatte auf englisch geantwortet, weil es ein englischer thread war.

Also, es handelt sich um DxO OpticsPro, das ein RAW unter anderem als DNG speichern kann - kann es aber interessanterweise selbst nicht importieren :shock: Allerdings wird das erzeugte DNG zum Beispiel von XnView einwandfrei gelesen. XnView verwendet laut Info ebenfalls "dcraw".

www.xnview.com
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

PhotoLine 19.51 liest es auch - schon wieder veraltet :-)