Non destructive crop

PhilM
Mitglied

Non destructive crop

Beitrag von PhilM »

Crop tool is destructive, the regions that are outside of the crop area are deleted.

I would like to be able to crop without discarding the original photo.
So to be able to come back and edit the crop. Or to make different versions of the crop.

The work around I found is to create an empty layer on top of my picture.
Use the rectangle selection to crop only the new layer.
And then invert the two layers.
The empty layer then acts as a canvas of the printing area.
You can then move the above layer that contains the entire photo (not cropped) to fine tune the framing.

The bottom empty layer can be scaled (alt S) to change the size of the printing area

It becomes a bit tricky when you have a bunch of layers, you have to make a group to be able to move the stack as a whole.

Would be nice to have a "Print area" layer to simplify.

Anybody has a better solution ?
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: Non destructive crop

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Switch to Document mode, and the crop tool becomes non-destructive.

Use View-->Hide border content to hide items beyond the canvas.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

Yes, "Document Mode" does non-destructive crop.
But at the end, before you save to jpg (or other) or print, you have to perform a "Layout/Document/Scale" mode : resolution to make the dpi of the document match the dpi of the original photo.
Otherwise, the photo will be scaled to the document resolution (using the appropriate algorithm) witch is what I try to avoid.

Best regards

Phil
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

PhilM hat geschrieben: Do 12 Apr 2018 18:12 But at the end, before you save to jpg (or other) or print, you have to perform a "Layout/Document/Scale" mode : resolution to make the dpi of the document match the dpi of the original photo.
You shouldn't have to do that. If the document had 100 dpi in Picture Mode, after switching to Document Mode it will have 100 dpi, too.
PhilM hat geschrieben: Do 12 Apr 2018 18:12 Otherwise, the photo will be scaled to the document resolution (using the appropriate algorithm) witch is what I try to avoid.
Maybe there is a misunderstanding, but there shouldn't be a scaling. Given the following situation:
- Open a JPEG
- Switch to Document Mode
- Change the the resolution of the document via the Document Attributes to a different value.
- Save as another JPEG.
The resulting JPEG has the same pixel size as the original, but a different resolution.

Martin
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

Thank you Martin for coming up to clarify.
Let me try to explain.

I am trying to do non-destructive crop.
As suggested by Herbert, in document mode, crop is non-destructive.

But my goal is to keep the original number of pixels of my image (photo) without resampling.

This is my attempt :
Open my 16Mpx image.
Set the document size (printing size) to 40 by 30cm.
As a consequence, my dpi result at 292dpi.
Change from Picture mode to Document mode.
Unlock my layer.
Stretch my picture by shift mouse dragging one of the corners.
Position my picture on the document.
This is my tentative crop that will be submitted for evaluation ; to be adjusted later.

At this point, my layer dpi has dropped to some other smaller value because of the setretch (like 195 dpi).
The document dpi remains at 292 dpi (even if the document itself contains no pixels).

If I save this work as jpg, my file will contain a 292dpi cropped image.
My picture has been resampled to match the document resolution.

It is my guess that PL will do the same at the time of printing ; resample all layers to the definition of the document.

Note : in image mode, I could do non-destructive crop by putting an empty layer underneath my picture as a "Print area".
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

IMO it is a lot simpler to:
- turn on document mode
- select the crop tool
- in the tools settings set the unit of the ratio fields to "cm" and enter 40x30, don't check "resolution"
- now crop your document

By cropping the dpi value is automatically adjusted to the best value ensuring the 40x30cm result.

Martin
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

SUPER !

You are right. It is just simple.
The trick was to uncheck the "Resolution" in the crop tool. I did not picked that up.

I can then crop as many times and sizes as I want.
Crop can also be bigger than the picture.

Exactly what I was looking for !

Is there any reason to work in "Picture Mode" ? Document mode seems more powerful. Is "Picture mode" there because of backward compatibility ?
Can I make "Document mode" the default mode ?

Many thanks for your help.
Best regards.

Philippe