How Do I Burn and Dodge?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
mojosam
Mitglied

How Do I Burn and Dodge?

Post by mojosam » Wed 05 Sep 2018 03:43

I wasn't able to find this subject addressed directly in the forum or elsewhere. PhotoLine is making me feel very stupid. I obviously don't understand the basic philosophy behind how PL "thinks".

All I want to do is darken the window in this photo. I have tried a bunch of different ways. What you see here is just one of many.

Ideally, it seems that all I would want to do is to create an adjustment layer of some sort, select the window, then somehow darken it.

What you see here is a different approach. I duplicated the image. I thought that I'd mask the duplicate layer so only the window is visible. Then I'd lower the exposure on that layer. I was unable to mask anything. The tools don't work.

Anyway, can someone point me to a simple explanation of how to burn and dodge? Or set me straight on the philosophy of how PL thinks, so that the process for burning and dodging becomes stupidly obvious.
PLDarkerWindow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

russellcottrell
Mitglied

Re: How Do I Burn and Dodge?

Post by russellcottrell » Wed 05 Sep 2018 05:38

Start with a curves adjustment layer. Do whatever you want to the window. Then use a color filter to limit the effect to the highlights, since the window is much lighter than its surroundings. Then fill the mask with black and unmask the window with white, to keep the effect off the light bulb and so forth.
ss1.jpg
ss2.png
ss3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

russellcottrell
Mitglied

Post by russellcottrell » Wed 05 Sep 2018 05:40

ss2.png
ss3.png

russellcottrell
Mitglied

Post by russellcottrell » Wed 05 Sep 2018 05:41

It's evidently one attachment at a time . . . .
ss3.png

mojosam
Mitglied

Post by mojosam » Wed 05 Sep 2018 08:28

russellcottrell wrote:
Wed 05 Sep 2018 05:38
Start with a curves adjustment layer. Do whatever you want to the window. Then use a color filter to limit the effect to the highlights, since the window is much lighter than its surroundings. Then fill the mask with black and unmask the window with white, to keep the effect off the light bulb and so forth.
Thank you so much for the help. I think I was fairly close to understanding it, but then I went off the rails somewhere. I've read the "Introduction to Photo Editing with PhotoLine" that you've published elsewhere. The Layer Masks page seems to address this, but somehow I got confused. Maybe I temporarily overloaded my brain.

One of the things that was frustrating me earlier is that I couldn't get the automask wand to work. I guess it doesn't work in adjustment layers? I ended up painting with the brush as you suggested. That worked fine.

However, the contrast between the window and its surroundings is so big that the automask wand would be perfect. It works on the Background layer but not the Curves layer. I get the impression that I'm not supposed to make adjustments on the Background layer. So when would I use the automask wand? It seems very useful.

russellcottrell
Mitglied

Post by russellcottrell » Wed 05 Sep 2018 16:55

Use automask on the background layer (or some other image layer) to make the selection. Then add an adjusment layer and it will be applied to the selection. The "image" of an adjustment layer is its mask, which starts out uniform so automask doesn't do anything. If you go back and use automask on the adjusment layer that you painted on, it will make a selection based on the existing mask.