PhotoLine is an all-purpose image and graphics editor. You can enhance photos, export pictures for web pages or create PDF files for printing.
And PhotoLine is offering everything, that is required for professional work: CMYK and lab color space, color management with ICC profiles, adjustment layers, and 16/32 bit depth per color channel. Aside from that you can import, edit and export vector graphics and PDF files.
The most important new features of the new version 19 are:
- new image functions like “Dehaze” and “Color To Transparency”
- enhancements in the graphics and layout section: variable line styles, document color lists, placeholder layers, ...
- Extended PDF export: spot colors, overprinting, PDF/X1a and PDF/X3
Aside from that there are numerous small enhancements and performance improvements.
Dehaze removes stray light in photos caused by fog, haze or smog. As a result, the colors in the image are stronger, and a slight color cast may be removed.
Dehaze doesn't modify the image, but creates an adjustment layer, so you can post process the result.
The Wipe Effect is similar to the motion blur, but it blurs the image only in one direction and the original image data are unmodified.
For the wipe effect, you will need an image with transparency, and only the transparent areas will be changed.
The wipe effect can also be used as an adjustment layer.
Color To Transparency
Color To Transparency creates transparency based on a predefined color. It also removes this color from semi-transparent areas, so that the result can be better placed on a different background. There are two working modes:
- a simple mode for images in front of a homogenous background
- a more complex mode, which allows more customization
Color To Transparency can be used as an adjustment layer, too.
The Rotate View Tool
The Rotate View tool can rotate the display of the active document. The document itself is not changed.
You can rotate the document in two ways:
- by clicking and dragging the mouse in the document
- by entering a rotation angle in the Tool Settings
The Rotate Tool
The Rotate Tool allows you to rotate the active layer. In contrast to the Layer Tool, you can start the rotation process by clicking & dragging anywhere in the document.
By clicking with the mouse the pivot point is set. If you define no pivot point, the center of the layer will be used.
Using the Vector Lasso you can create the lasso using curves and lines - similar to a vector layer.
The handling corresponds to the Curve Creation tool. By clicking and dragging new curve points are created, simple clicking creates line points.
Painting, Pencil, ...
The Painting tool, the Pencil, ... are now supporting the blending modes like Darken, Multiply and so on.
The Copy Brush can now scale and/or rotate the source data.
Additionally the source can now be the source layer, all layers until the active one and all visible layers.
Document Color List
View > Lists
In the document color list, you can create colors and thus assign the active document. This color list is saved with the document and also reloaded. Each color in the document color list must have a unique name.
If you change an existing color in the document color list, all places where that color is used in the document, will be adjusted accordingly. It does not matter whether the color appears in a text layer, a gradient color or an effect.
PhotoLine is now supporting spot colors. They are created in the Document Color List.
Spot colors are important in combination with the PDF export.
Tint colors are derived from a base color. The base color can be a normal color or a spot color. They are always a mix of the base color and white.
Tint colors are created in the Color Editor.
Color fields are now showing the color model coded using the corners:
- RGB: all corners are there
- Gray: missing lower-left corner
- CMYK: missing lower-right corner
- Lab: missing upper-right corner
A small point in the respective corner signals a spot color.
Gradients now have a control to change the gradient of the brightness.
Enhanced Line Styles
- Line styles can now have a variable width. The Vector Drawing tool converts the pressure of a graphics tablet pen directly in a line style.
- Line styles can now be inside, outside or on a vector path.
- The line style editor has been extended accordingly. It can now create and edit line styles with variable width.
- The line style editor can now be displayed permanently on the screen.
- The line style editor is now accessible via the popup list of line style fields, too.
Placeholder layers have no own content, but show the content of an external file.
Placeholder layers can be created using the corresponding tool or by dragging a file to document while holding Alt (Windows) or Command+Alt (OS X).
Layout > Vector
You can now convert a vector outline to the corresponding filled vector layer. This way you can use the outline for clipping or manually edit it.
Move Layer(s) To Left Border and Move Layer(s) To Top Border
Layout > Alignment
You can now move the marked layers next to each other on the left side and on the upper side of the active layer.
- Guides can now be defined using formulas. In the formulas you can use “w” for the document width and “h” for the document height. This way you can create guides, that are self-adapting to the size of the document.
- With a new helper dialog you can automatically lay out guides creating lines and columns.
- Using the Layer Attributes you can lay down, that a given layer is no longer used for automatic guides. This can reduce excessive flickering of automatic guides.
Overprinting is a property for printing documents in print shops.
With overprinting a layer replaces only the color channels of the background, which are used by the layer. Overprinting can be activated in the Layer Attributes.
Overprint is important in combination with the PDF export.
PDF Export: Support Of PDF/X1a And PDF/X3
In the preferences/options under “File > PDF” you can now activate the creation of PDF/X1a and PDF/X3 compatible files. Additionally you can control the bleeding
Assigning Colors To Gray Images
If an image layer has the kind 8 bit gray, you can assign a color to it using the Layer Attributes. The image will be displayed using a gradient from white to that color.
- Optionally it doesn't automatically make the active layer visible.
- Marked layers are now optionally shown with a lighter selection color.
- If the layer settings are different to the standard values, the Layer List will show the layer intensity and the display mode.
- You can define shortcuts for switching to next next/previous display mode.
- Command line support on OS X
On OS X PhotoLine is now supporting command line commandos, too.
- DDS import
Cube textures are now imported on different pages.
- JPEG 2000
Now with ICC profile support
- JPEG export
Simple images with a vector clipping path or a vector layer mask are now saved as JPEG with clipping path.
- Edit Vector Points tool
You can now copy and cut selected points.
- Edit Vector Points tool
You can now paste vector data as subpath.
- Stamp tool
Reset button for resetting the stamp size
- Quick Mask tool
Now with option to remove speckles
- Hue Editor
Now with Lab mode
- Gradient tool
Optionally creates a vector layer
- Liquify tool
The liquify image can be copied, pasted, loaded and saved now.
- ICC Profiles
ICC profiles are now loaded from the “ICCProfiles” folder inside the settings folder, too.
- Simple Browse
Now with sort order
- Color management
Optionally used Little CMS
- Custom Icons
If there, PhotoLine is loading the file PicturesUser.pld from the “Help” folder inside the settings folder.