[Part 2] Large List of Suggestions and Requests for Photoline UI and Tools

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
shijan
Mitglied

Re: [Part 2] Large List of Suggestions and Requests for Photoline UI and Tools

Post by shijan » Sat 27 Jun 2020 08:40

UI icons redesign.
Current PhotoLine icons still far from perfect and looks very random. Some have very basic pixel look, some use gradients and dull shades. Due legacy drop shadow effect a lot of icons are off-centered. There is also completely different Icons group inside some adjustments tools.
Take a look at last versions of Photoshop, they take huge amount of attention to UI and icons (they change icons and UI over time almost in every version and due those experiments sometimes good looking things start look ugly, but in the end they came to really nice solid look). Just refresh existing icons with slightly bolder and crisper look.
Last reference example from macOS 10.16 Big Sur with rounder corners and bolder lines looks OK https://photo2.tinhte.vn/data/attachmen ... image.jpeg But in some situations monochrome icons may look less readable. Color icons may provide better visual representation of tool functionality and usually easier to locate and separate by human eye. The problem is not in color or monochrome icons but in icons style.
For example take a look at Blender or Cinema 4D icons https://i.ytimg.com/vi/91wGj87ZmzE/maxresdefault.jpg They use simple but very nice looking colored icons that fells like part of the UI style, but not as separate random images. Icon colors are not randomly selected but work as additional visual indicators. Each color represents a group of similar specific tools. Quality icons design is rather complicated and time consuming task. There should be separate icon sets for Dark and Light UI theme as well as for low DPI and high DPI displays. Simple automatic scale or invert usually don't works well.
Formally icons are only cosmetic improvement that almost don't affect application usability but consumes huge amount of time for drawing.
Last edited by shijan on Mon 29 Jun 2020 09:06, edited 3 times in total.

russellcottrell
Mitglied

Post by russellcottrell » Sat 27 Jun 2020 19:38

What if you only had curves, dehaze, light/shadow, the paintbrush, and unsharp mask?
IMG_2580_old.jpg
IMG_2580_new.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herbert123
Mitglied

Post by Herbert123 » Sun 28 Jun 2020 05:26

Going to chime in here. I feel it is everyone's right to suggest improvements, and many of Shijan's suggestions have been great in my opinion and ones I would like to see as well. A number have been implemented, and have been real small improvements. Some I think are a bit specific, but I understand, having worked in a wide range of software (3D, animation, VFX, video, coding, etc.), where Shijan is coming from.

I think it is important to realize everyone harbours different wishes and requirements - in particular for a broad range application like PhotoLine which combines high-end image manipulation/comping, vector editing and general DTP functionality.

I myself have reported many, many bugs over the years and suggested many improvements: many of which were implemented and some were not. I feel it is also important to allow space for all of us PhotoLine users to provide constructive comments and suggestions for improvements - even if those suggestions might run counter to our own individual wants and preferences.

Shijan's suggestions for improvements are helpful. What is not helpful is name calling, or blowing up over a specific request, and this only occludes the fact that everyone here loves working with PhotoLine: seeing emotions run high in this thread only demonstrates and highlights this.

Tomorrow is a new day. Let's make it a positive one. :)
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait

shijan
Mitglied

Post by shijan » Fri 10 Jul 2020 04:43

Better Tiling logic for multiple windows:
Current (Tile Vertical):

Suggested (Tile Vertical):
Last edited by shijan on Fri 10 Jul 2020 04:49, edited 1 time in total.

shijan
Mitglied

Post by shijan » Fri 10 Jul 2020 04:47

Exclude minimized (docked) windows from tiling.
Currently minimized (docked) windows produce empty space during tiling:

shijan
Mitglied

Post by shijan » Sat 11 Jul 2020 00:14

Enable or disable masks from multiple selected adjustment layers.

Currently adjustments layer masks may be enabled or disabled only one by one. Not too convenient: