Photoline under OSX / MAC

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
JulianZI
Mitglied

Photoline under OSX / MAC

Beitrag von JulianZI »

Is photoline now fully supported under OSX?

If yes, why is it not available for purchase in Apple App Store. I see competing products become instantly members of the best selling products, even those which are very new to the market.

Photoline can do more than those products and looks well on OSX. (Although I think it would be good, if there would be a modal view, too.)

I know, Apple takes a large bite from the income through AppStore - but on the other hand that AppStore is a huge market and I can imagine Photoline will sell 5 times as often easily.

I can imagine a Photoline edition only for MAC which uses the OSX integrated RAW development. It should hide the "Bildübersicht" and integrate the Apple browser instead. When it be on the AppStore for 40-50€ I imagine many people will look at it and buy it. I would.
Coil
Mitglied

Re: Photoline under OSX / MAC

Beitrag von Coil »

photoline supports mac os x for a long time.
personally i think that the apple app store sucks (and yes, i`m an apple user too) :mrgreen:
JulianZI
Mitglied

Beitrag von JulianZI »

Coil hat geschrieben:photoline supports mac os x for a long time.
personally i think that the apple app store sucks (and yes, i`m an apple user too) :mrgreen:
If it "sucks" or not, is not the point and this is also a matter of perspective. Affinity is selling through app store only and they get huge attention.

The point is: would it be possible to sell a lot of copies through that channel?
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

JulianZI hat geschrieben:Is photoline now fully supported under OSX?
Exactly what do you mean by "now"? It's been fully supported at least since I started using it back in 2009. Change the icon display to grey w/o shadows and it will even look like a Mac application.
JulianZI hat geschrieben:If yes, why is it not available for purchase in Apple App Store. I see competing products become instantly members of the best selling products, even those which are very new to the market.
Legal reasons. Have a look at http://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.ph ... ore#p17151.
JulianZI hat geschrieben:I can imagine a Photoline edition only for MAC which uses the OSX integrated RAW development.
Not sure what you mean. The simple raw development as in Preview? Looks ok for standard photos, but you'll have to live with Apple's standard for de-noising, sharpening, no highlight recovery, … Afaik, nothing else is availabe to third party apps.
JulianZI hat geschrieben: It should hide the "Bildübersicht" and integrate the Apple browser instead.
You can access the Apple media browser from within the "Open" dialogue, just like most other Mac apps, but of course, this doesn't have the capabilities of PL's "Browse" dialogue (move, copy, rename, metadata change, …). I would be surprised if Apple allowed third party apps to modify the Photos library in that way – apparently, they don't even allow external apps to be used from within Photos.

Cheers

Burkhard.
JulianZI
Mitglied

Beitrag von JulianZI »

bkh hat geschrieben:
JulianZI hat geschrieben:Is photoline now fully supported under OSX?
Exactly what do you mean by "now"? It's been fully supported at least since I started using it back in 2009. Change the icon display to grey w/o shadows and it will even look like a Mac application.
This question was rhetoric :-)
bkh hat geschrieben:
JulianZI hat geschrieben:If yes, why is it not available for purchase in Apple App Store. I see competing products become instantly members of the best selling products, even those which are very new to the market.
Legal reasons. Have a look at http://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.ph ... ore#p17151.
Ok, understood.
bkh hat geschrieben:
JulianZI hat geschrieben:I can imagine a Photoline edition only for MAC which uses the OSX integrated RAW development.
Not sure what you mean. The simple raw development as in Preview? Looks ok for standard photos, but you'll have to live with Apple's standard for de-noising, sharpening, no highlight recovery, … Afaik, nothing else is availabe to third party apps.
I have no knowledge here - but it seems so that some competing products are using this lib. And it is good if the image first look inn the editor as it looks in the preview.
bkh hat geschrieben:quote="JulianZI"]
It should hide the "Bildübersicht" and integrate the Apple browser instead.
You can access the Apple media browser from within the "Open" dialogue, just like most other Mac apps, but of course, this doesn't have the capabilities of PL's "Browse" dialogue (move, copy, rename, metadata change, …). I would be surprised if Apple allowed third party apps to modify the Photos library in that way – apparently, they don't even allow external apps to be used from within Photos.[/quote]

This all I know - but I also see how the people love polished GUIs. Well, its just a suggestion and an idea how to sell some more. For me personally I do not care about the GUI.

EDIT: Mit der neuen Beta sieht das Programm nun super aus unter OS-X.