Once more: Linux?

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Once more: Linux?

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:(...)
and a couple more page management tools such as page templates and multiple guide systems.
Yes. The DTP feature set is another area of PL that has room for enhancement.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Not trying to convince anyone. Just posting the sudden growing number of Linux desktop users, which is interesting. Also interesting to see that the number of Linux desktop users are now at 36% compared to Mac users (2.27% <=> 6.32% of market share). Windows share also increased, while the Mac share seems to be trending downward.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/report.a ... imeframe=M
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomb=0
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Michael Roek-Ramirez
Betatester

Beitrag von Michael Roek-Ramirez »

Hi Herbert:
I agree totally to your statements with one exception:
>Not trying to convince anyone<
You should ;-)
Just want to rise my hand again..... in favor of a Linux (preferrably Ubuntu) version.
I just got a WIN 10 Computer...... OMG!! (no other comment).... just migrated it to Ubuntu!

Regards
Michael
PD.: "I have no idea how hard it would be to compile a Linux version with the current Mac and Windows code base in the first place. I do realize maintaining three OSs probably requires more man power as well."I am not sure about that. There are multisystem frameworks available. If it will take a few years...does not matter.... the discussion was going on for years already.... maybe PL is alrfeady set up on such a framework?
I am frequently using a web designer software -> http://quickandeasywebbuilder.com/ .....available for Mac, Linux, DEB, Win... and that is a one-man-thing.
I am not sure about the number of interested AND buying users, but I am sure it will be a real success!
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Michael Roek-Ramirez hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Mär 2017 04:56 I am not sure about the number of interested AND buying users, but I am sure it will be a real success!
That's highly doubtful.

Consider that the city of Munich in Germany has long been the "poster child" for moving from Windows to Linux -- the city is now abandoning Linux to return to Windows:
http://windowsitpro.com/windows/linux-d ... ls-germany

It makes much more sense to maintain and enhance PL's compatibility with the surging Win10.
Ken
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

photoken hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Mär 2017 10:01 Consider that the city of Munich in Germany has long been the "poster child" for moving from Windows to Linux -- the city is now abandoning Linux to return to Windows:
http://windowsitpro.com/windows/linux-d ... ls-germany
Seems they misquote the original article – which only says that Munich has established an expert group to consider the move back to Windows. I haven't found any news on whether a decision has been made yet– the article is now more than two years old, so I guess that Munich is still using Linux.

But either way, I don't think that this has a lot of implications on the "PL on Linux" question.

Cheers

Burkhard.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Mär 2017 10:55 I haven't found any news on whether a decision has been made yet
The decision was made last month:
http://www.itnews.com/article/3170630/l ... ndows.html
bkh hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Mär 2017 10:55 But either way, I don't think that this has a lot of implications on the "PL on Linux" question.
Except for the fact that it's yet another nail in the coffin of "Linux" on the desktop....
Ken
Eurgail
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eurgail »

The decision in Munich was not based on technical issues but on the lobbying of the (new) mayor Dieter Reiter.
I'm not a Linux user and agree that the Linux market is not pretty interesting for PhotoLine, but the latest developments in Munich just make me sick because of their undemocratic, pureblind and selfish properties.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Eurgail,

I don't see how the developments can be considered "undemocratic" -- a dozen years ago, the city council voted to migrate to "Linux", and now the city council voted to return to Windows. All that seems like democracy in action to me....
Ken
Eurgail
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eurgail »

In Munich you have a grand coalition, so you can decide many things, if you just reach an agreement with you partner. But that's the system, fine. It's not the decision itself but the way it came:
Dieter Reiter was head of devision in economies before he has become the mayor and thus was leading involved in the move of the microsoft headquarter Germany from a suburb into the city. He describes himself officially as "Microsoft-fanboy" and after he got elected he used every chance to criticize (better to torpedo) the LiMux project. You can say it's his passion to give "Microsoft their city back". By public funds, he engaged a consulting company called Accenture, an official long year Microsoft partner, to motivate his plan, but Accentrure's review was too sophisticated, so he just drew his own conclusions for a faster change: A system that took ten years to get build completely should be replaced now within three years (until 2020).
I call it undemocratic not because the system gave the chance to this people that one hand could wash the other, but because this one man made a dicision only for himself and without respect to the well-being of the people of munich.

P.S.: I could send you many links from tech sites reporting and discussing this but their all in german...
Michael Roek-Ramirez
Betatester

Hi folks:
There are more one-man-companies switching to Linux:
I had been using a Freeform Database http://www.wjjsoft.com/download.html for many years but the programmer did not want to open his mind for Linux, just started to build a Mac version. I switched to a Linux based database and two years later - all of a sudden - the Linux (amd64) version popped up!

There must be a reason out there.
Regards
Michael
Michael Roek-Ramirez
Betatester

Photoken:
How many of the employees of Munich City do you think are doing image processing?
Regards
Michael
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Michael Roek-Ramirez hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Mär 2017 14:30 How many of the employees of Munich City do you think are doing image processing?
A lot more than before, now that they have access to the large variety of image processing software available for Windows....
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Eurgail,
Sounds like you've been following all the details of this for some time. Do you live in Munich?
Eurgail hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Mär 2017 12:57 P.S.: I could send you many links from tech sites reporting and discussing this but their all in german...
Yeah, but that wouldn't do much good for me -- unfortunately, the translation services provided by bing and Google leave a lot to be desired.... :(
Ken
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

In the latest GDC 2017 report (http://reg.techweb.com/GDCSF17-StateOfGame) 7% of the more than 4,500 developers who responded to the survey are releasing their game(s) on the Linux platform. That is quite low compared to Windows and Mac. Still, if your development platform supports a painless and straightforward export to all platforms, I think it is worth it releasing your game on Linux as well.

According to Humble Bundle stats (http://cheesetalks.net/humble/) that 7% matches the Humble Bundle stats at 6.86% of revenues over a time period of about 6 years. Suppose you make $100,000 on a game released on Windows and Mac, then it will bring in around $7,000 in terms of Linux revenues.

Not much compared, but still a freebie $7,000 - IF and WHEN your development tools allow for a direct Linux export with no extra work. Only then does it make sense, in my opinion.

I have started work on a game that I will (hopefully) release within 18 months - when I do, I will release a Linux version as well. The game engine I chose is true multi-platform, btw: Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Of course, I don't think such a straight-forward Linux build for PhotoLine would be possible. If my guess is right, I think some of the dev tools/APIs/frameworks used by the Hubers are Windows and Mac only. That would complicate a Linux build, and in that case it would probably not be worthwhile.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Eurgail
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eurgail »

photoken hat geschrieben: Do 09 Mär 2017 03:09 Eurgail,
Sounds like you've been following all the details of this for some time. Do you live in Munich?
Yes, that's right - either. :|
Antworten