PL logo revisited

Hier findet man Beispielbilder
Here you can find sample images
photoken
Mitglied

PL logo revisited

Beitrag von photoken »

I wanted a vector rendition of the PL logo, but all I could find was a low resolution bitmap image.

So, I started messing around. :wink: It was good practice and I learned some things about working with PL.

Here's the result, against a harmonious gradient background:
PL logo 02.png

You can see the following changes I made:
  • Instead of creating the look of a glossy button, I simplified the effect by using a simple inner emboss.
  • I changed the font to Bauhaus93 because it's a more stylized font than PL uses, yet the Bauhaus93 font is very readable, even when this logo is viewed at 2% magnification. Also, I wanted a very heavy weight font that would not be overwhelmed by the embossing effect.
  • I added a simple inner emboss to the letters.
  • I adjusted the gradient on the colour bars to more clearly express light coming from above.
  • I applied a Curves adjustment to the colour bars, using Lab mode to reduce the gamma in order to make the colours less intense and distracting.
Here's the PLD file of the logo itself:
PL logo.pld
Enjoy!
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Falaffel
Mitglied

Re: PL logo revisited

Beitrag von Falaffel »

Hy Ken,

looks very nice.
Grüße
Robert
Torsten
Mitglied

Beitrag von Torsten »

It looks very old fashioned.

Cheers Torsten
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Yes, old fashioned, but in a very pleasing way :)
Not in the way "unchanged for 20 years", but in the "retro" way that makes a bottle of 70's Fanta look pleasing today.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
gmhofmann
Betatester

Beitrag von gmhofmann »

Wrong abbreviation. Please make "PL" instead of "Pl" :D
Torsten
Mitglied

Beitrag von Torsten »

Yes, a brand like Fanta can ever bring a retro bottle on the market. But hardly a PL users will say oh cool that have revived the old logo of the time.

Cheers,
Torsten
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

gmhofmann hat geschrieben:Wrong abbreviation. Please make "PL" instead of "Pl" :D
Nope. That's the all caps in the Bauhaus93 font. Here's a comparison between the lowercase and uppercase:
bauhaus.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:Yes, old fashioned, but in a very pleasing way :)
My thoughts, exactly. I know the current trend is for extremely simple rendering of logos, but that looks kind of crude and somewhat boring to me. On the other hand, the former trend of throwing all kinds of effects at a logo, making it look like glossy glassware was too much, and rather distracting.

Just trying to find a balance. :)
Ken
Martin Stricker
Mitglied

Beitrag von Martin Stricker »

Ich bin froh, dass ich die PL-Icons die ich entworfen hatte nicht mehr zur Nutzung frei gegeben habe. Was mich aber erschreckt ist, dass dieses redesign sogar gefallen findet. Bleibt mir nur noch die Hoffnung, dass es nicht verwendet wird.
Sorry, couldn't write this in english.

@ photoken
Your redesign is unbalanced and clumsily.
What about doing a new design with your own ideas?

Martin
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Martin,
You're utterly and completely wrong about everything, but thanks for playing, anyway.
Ken
laienspieler
Mitglied

Beitrag von laienspieler »

Martin Stricker hat geschrieben:Ich bin froh, dass ich die PL-Icons die ich entworfen hatte nicht mehr zur Nutzung frei gegeben habe. Was mich aber erschreckt ist, dass dieses redesign sogar gefallen findet. Bleibt mir nur noch die Hoffnung, dass es nicht verwendet wird.
Martin
Ich teile diese Hoffnung.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Sorry Ken, although I appreciate the effort, I would have to agree with some of the other opinions shared here that that logo design looks less than ideal. The font choice reminds me of a seventies style, and the layer effect does not help either...

Having said that, I applaud a rethink of the current logo - especially the one on the website and at the top of this forum. Which is quite terrible indeed. Someone needs to start this discussion, so why not here?
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:I applaud a rethink of the current logo - especially the one on the website and at the top of this forum. Which is quite terrible indeed. Someone needs to start this discussion, so why not here?
Because I carefully chose the subject of this discussion -- it's revisiting the original logo. In other words, I think the original logo is nice, and has some good features, so I created a variation on the original theme.

By all means start a discussion about a logo re-design, but make it in its own discussion (probably in the General Discussion forum). Rest assured that I'll submit this variation there, too. :wink:
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: The font choice reminds me of a seventies style,
Good eye -- That's because Bauhaus93 was designed circa 1970, based on typeface designs first proposed in 1925. You seem to be implying that this is a bad thing. Why?

For the billions of people who do not pay attention to the history of typography, the letters will simply be accepted as clean, bold, stylized text.

For those who are aware of the history of typography, the use of Bauhaus93 should be seen as an homage to the German origins of PL, and as adding a richness of meaning to the logo.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben: and the layer effect does not help either...
I'll take another look at that.
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

OK, I've fine-tuned the logo (here displayed against a harmonious gradient background):
PL logo 02.jpg
The inner emboss on the letters was too subtle, and looked kind of weak, so I boosted its strength.

For the roundel, I lowered the strength of the highlight, and increased the strength of the shadow (which was not very obvious in my first rendition).

I did much more to the colour bars: used a light gray for the gradient's highlight; changed the midpoints of the gradients so the bars look more rounded; and lowered their contrast.

All of that created a clearer distinction of the importance of the elements -- the letters are now obviously the dominant element, the roundel is sub-dominant; and the colour bars are subordinate.

The logo also is very readable at very small sizes when used as an icon,
PL logo icon.png
but an interesting effect occurred when reducing the logo: the embossing effects disappeared at those very small sizes and left the letters looking off-center. Since the embossing effects are layer styles, it was quick and easy to temporarily disable the embossing effects when reducing the size.

Here's the updated PLD file:
PL logo.pld
Ken