Standard-Order of Raw Adjustment Filters

Hier diskutieren die Anwender von PhotoLine untereinander
Tida
Mitglied

Standard-Order of Raw Adjustment Filters

Beitrag von Tida »

Just a principle question about the order of filters, which appear as soon as I open pictures in raw.

Especially, I don't understand, why Denoise-Filter is placed so late. I would mean, that it should be the first filter before Histogram Correction. In extreme cases I see a much better effect, when I place it first...

Furthermore, it makes little sense to use Unsharp Masikng, as usually sharpening should be the one of last overall applied filters.

Is it possible to customize the standard order, that is applied as soon as you open raw? I mean without using a new Layer Preset...
bkh
Betatester

Re: Standard-Order of Raw Adjustment Filters

Beitrag von bkh »

You can specify an action which will be executed when the raw has been opened (in Preferences —Files — Raw). You can use this action to reorder/add/delete filters, make presets etc.

The first histogram correction adjusts the gamma value, which has an effect on denoising in PL, afaik (different strength of denoising for shadows vs. Midtones). Choose what works best for you, similarly for other filters. Sharpening is the last step in my version of PL.

Cheers Burkhard
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Standard-Order of Raw Adjustment Filters

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Tida hat geschrieben: So 07 Okt 2018 22:40Especially, I don't understand, why Denoise-Filter is placed so late. I would mean, that it should be the first filter before Histogram Correction. In extreme cases I see a much better effect, when I place it first...
Denoise does a linearization of the image data before doing its work. In order to do this it checks the image profile (which is usually the document profile) and extracts a gamma value from that. As Burkhard noted, the histogram adjusts the gamma, so before the histogram has been applied, this extracted gamma will be wrong.
So usually the Denoise should be after the Histogram.

Martin