Web Export - EXIF Save Option?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Web Export - EXIF Save Option?

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Would it be possible to add a "Save EXIF" option for the JPG file-type on the "Web Export" dialog? I use that so often, and I just as often forget that it won't save the EXIF info until it's too late and I've done all my editing and shut down PL32 to go onto my project.

I realize I can use the normal save or save-as functions that allow for it, but I often use the Web Export to see if there's any way I can make the file smaller, or to at least compare the compression techniques.

I'm not sure, but I also get the feeling that the JPG compression from the Web Export seems more efficient somehow. Does it use the exact same compression methods as normal save and save-as JPG?

I don't believe the other file-types (PNG, JP2, and GIF) in Web Export support EXIF, would be nice if they did though.

(It would be nice too if that Web Export dialog could be resized larger too. I like to zoom in to see how many artifacts are being created and it's hard to get several sample areas all in the same small preview area, when comparing different compression methods.)
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

I think many users of PL32 will have problems to understand what EXIF, IPTC, XMP, ICC and so on is. Normally you don't need such things for web graphics, so I think it would be not good to implement it to the web export function.
There is no difference between saving algorithm of the web export and save/save as.
I will try to get the dialog scalable.

Gerhard
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:Normally you don't need such things for web graphics, so I think it would be not good to implement it to the web export function.
I guess with so many photography forums and things that I'm involved in, where people need to know EXIF info, I (and others) depend on that a lot. Plus most all good browsers are now programmed to show the EXIF info on image properties on the right-click menu. It comes in very handy when trying to compare photos posted on photography web pages. Especially for knowing what make and model of camera created that photo when the poster forgot to mention it. Then I just right-click on the web-page image to get that info. (Even web-page galleries online are programmed to retain EXIF info when they auto-downsize them for display.) This is why I have to go back and redo all my photos once I realize that the Web Export option didn't save EXIF. As well as for my own needs when I go back to check a photo that I downsized to see which camera I used for that one. Then I have to try to find the corresponding image (often a different filename by then) that I created it with.

I'll just try to remember to not use that option in the future. (Still, would be nice if it had it as an option though.)

And thanks for the further info on both methods using the same compression techniques. As well as looking into making that dialog re-sizable. (Though I'll probably not use it as much anymore, now knowing that I'll never save EXIF with it.)
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Just a note to say: Gerhard was kind enough to let me have a peek at v13.90. Wait 'til you all see the nice improvements he's made with regards to the Web Export tool, among others. :-)
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Koyaanis hat geschrieben:
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:Normally you don't need such things for web graphics, so I think it would be not good to implement it to the web export function.
I guess with so many photography forums and things that I'm involved in, where people need to know EXIF info, I (and others) depend on that a lot. Plus most all good browsers are now programmed to show the EXIF info on image properties on the right-click menu.
Gerhard, I would be with Koyaanis on this. Did I mention that I am a long time user of Canvas? Which is owned by ACD, which has programs in the image editing and managing area for PCs, ACDSee and so forth. As a result of that linage, a new person has popped up on the
Canvas forums there who is involved with using ACD's image products (not Canvas) for electronic scrapbooking and photo albums on the web.

Apparently, this has grown into a HUGE business in the USA -- there are billions of dollars in it now. Many users in this working in this field would want the EXIF data embedded in images, so having PL32 enabled to embed it could well be a selling point to them. Failure to embed might be a deal breaker.

I would suggest PL32 would be ideally suited to the needs of the more serious electronic scrapbooker, while being easy to use for the beginner.
Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com