Improvements

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Slug45
Mitglied

Improvements

Beitrag von Slug45 »

Some improvements that would be great:

1. A function like "Mergue Layers" in Photoshop. This function mergues the currently selected layer and the layer below this one (you don't have to select them in the Layer panel). I like this function a lot, is very visual and the process is very fast. The way I do it in PL32 is via an action:

1st step: Layer> Management> Activate Previus Layer
2nd step: Layer> Management> Add Next Layer to selection
3rd step: Layer> Reduce to One Layer

2. It would be great if I could assign a shortcut to this action (and/or any other) instead of running it via Actions Pannel (I use the keyboard a lot).

3. The refresh speed of the preview in Filter's window. It would be great if the speed of refresh of the preview would be much faster (no lag please!).

4. Make the Copy/Paste process faster:

When I do a copy/paste in the same document, I do a selection, then I copy it, paste it and what I got then is a selection layer and a new layer with the pasted selection in it. The next step I follow, is to select the Selection Layer, then delete it, then select the new created layer, move it where I want to and go on working.

It would be great if It could work as Photoshop does.The process is the same, but you don't have to delete the selection layer. Once you do a paste, the selection dissapears and you got a new layer with the selection pasted in it so you can move/transform it inmediatly.

5. And finally, smoothing in brush tool so when U draw a curve, the curve would be a smooth curve and not and arc made with straight lines. Scatter and rotation of the brush would be cool too.

Congrats again for this good piece of software I'm really enjoying. I hope u find all this useful.

Cheers.
(Please, excuse my poor english)
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

To point 4: Afer chossing the selection you can use "Tool > Lasso > Convert selection to layer". You can give that function a shortcut (I used Ctrl-Y), and you can also find it in the contextmenu of an image if there is a selection.
Slug45
Mitglied

Beitrag von Slug45 »

Hey, nice tip. Thanks!.
Sus
Mitglied

My own (not so) small list

Beitrag von Sus »

I like PL32 a lot: it is small in price and size, it is powerfull and it is stable.
But there are some minor things that keep me from becoming ecstatic:

Browsing.
1. When browsing a filelist the program stalls when it encounters an avi file.
For this reason I use Irfanview-thumbnails as input selector for PL32.
2. In the browse list the last opened file could be visualy marked.

File info.
3. Once the file is opened it would be nice to see its
- list ranking fe 3/50
- date
- proportion fe 1.333
in addition to the size and zoom factor.

Tool info.
4. When making a rectangle selection showing the proportion fe 1.333 would be helpfull.
5. When scaling a document the default entry field should be the horizontal size iso the mode.
6. Adding an external filter to a list in a custom bar can completely upset an existing list.
7. An option to list the external filters alphabetically would also be nice.

Tool effects.
8. A fullscreen preview (without menu) would be a bonus.
9. Histogram correction could be made interactive
(ref Smartcurve http://www.free.pages.at/easyfilter/curves.html but 64bit).
10.The Undo(document) is used very often, a Undo(layer) would be the max !
11.It would be nice if the paintbrush size could be adapted DURING painting, not just before painting.
12.A colorpicker that can take any color from the screen (not just the active layer) would be nice.
13.The HDR tool is usable but it would gain a lot with the implementation of the SIFT algorythm.

Saving documents.
14.'Save Session' would make a return to the job safer after being called away.
15. An option to save a file with the 'last used' extention would be welcome.
16. A simillar method could be used for the filename of imported/scanned files
for example 'Scanned' iso 'Untitled'.
17. When closing documents the question 'Save changes?' should accept a 'NO TO ALL' to speed up the process.
18. When opening 'next picture' there should be no question 'Save document'
if the only action on the open doucument is a 'scale document' followed by an 'Undo'
that is, when the undo list is empty.

Closing.
19. Close all windows (without further questions) would speed up the final task.
akeller
Mitglied

Re: My own (not so) small list

Beitrag von akeller »

Zuletzt geändert von akeller am Do 28 Okt 2010 19:40, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Improvements

Beitrag von Hoogo »

What do you mean with "interactive histogram correction"? The missing preview of the picture?
Sus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Sus »

Thanks for the response Andreas .
To change the size of a tool...
This is a great feature, but it does not work with the leftside mousebutton pressed, that is, during painting.
Double click on the color field...
My fault, I should have been more specific, so:
Open an image and put another, smaller image in a layer on top of the background.
Activate this layer and use the color picker and try to get a color from the background:
you will only get colors from the active layer or white, not from the rest of the screen.
Besides, filters that allow color picking mostly don't allow to change layers while open.
Zuletzt geändert von Sus am Do 30 Apr 2009 11:43, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Sus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Sus »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:What do you mean with "interactive histogram correction"? The missing preview of the picture?
No, I mean that the effect of a correction is immediately visible in a new, updated histrogram.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Sus hat geschrieben:...Activate this layer and use the color picker and try to get a color from the background...
The color picker has an option whether it should read the active layer or all layers. That option also applies to pressing ALT in the brush-tool.
Sus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Sus »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:The color picker has an option whether it should read the active layer or all layers. That option also applies to pressing ALT in the brush-tool.
Bingo! Thanks for the tip Hoogo !
(under Windows it is the Control key that does the trick)
Sus
Mitglied

Re: Improvements- 24BPP PNGs

Beitrag von Sus »

In version 15.1 opened 24BPP graphic PNGs are saved only as 8BPP if less than 256 colours are present.
After editing in PL32 an external program like Irfanview is required to turn them back into 24BPPs .
NoSi
Betatester

Beitrag von NoSi »

Hi.
Sus hat geschrieben:In version 15.1 opened 24BPP graphic PNGs are saved only as 8BPP if less than 256 colours are present.
After editing in PL32 an external program like Irfanview is required to turn them back into 24BPPs .
If you use less than 256 colors it makes no sense to store the PNG with 24BPP - because it has only 8BPP. Saving it externally as 24BPP has no improving effect to the image.

Best Regards,
NoSi
Screencasts zu Photoline: http://www.buoa.de • Win 10x64 / PL64, immer und ausschließlich die aktuellste Beta-Version.
Sus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Sus »

NoSi hat geschrieben: If you use less than 256 colors it makes no sense to store the PNG with 24BPP - because it has only 8BPP. Saving it externally as 24BPP has no improving effect to the image
You are right as far as quality is concerned but some programs work only with truecolor (24BPP) PNGs.
A saving option in PL32 would be a better solution.
Thanks for your answer.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Blemish and Scratch removers

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

I'd like to see blemish and scratch remover tools similar to those in Photoshop Elements and Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo to speed the process of making minor corrections to an image. The scratch remover in those two programs is invaluable in cleaning up old photographs. The blemish/spot tool saves time by not having to select an area to copy first.

Keep up the good work!
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Old Radio

Scratches and dust spots fixing is probably the first tool anyone ever had in an image program.

Have you tried menu bar > filter > quality > remove dust/scratches ? You can set the size of blemish you will correct, so you can do several passes, ramping it up as you go, until you get to a point that satisfies you.

You speak of the blemish / spot tool P'shop that doesn't need a reference beforehand. So it draws on the surrounds to fill the blemish.

Sounds good to me. I wonder whether it is that hard to do? I have had the strong impression that the Repairing Tool (the brush with the bandaid) is influenced by the area surrounding the repair in addition to the reference area. Am I wrong? I don't know. But it seems to me to be so and has interfered with what I wanted to do some times.

Come to think of it, the global "Remove dust/scratches" references surrounding areas, doesn't it, so what you're talking about Radio, is putting that into a tool which applies it only to a specific area.

It would be good.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

Get "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" to deliver your words with real zing; and "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter" to learn to step safely in the publishing minefield. Amazon or www.worsleypress.com