PL on Mac: fix for slow launching after OSX.4.10 update

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
greenmorpher
Mitglied

PL on Mac: fix for slow launching after OSX.4.10 update

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

I don't know whether this is universal, but I found that after I updated the Mac OS X.4.9 > OS X.4.10, the launching time for PhotoLine ballooned from one of two seconds to a minimum of 14 seconds and as much as half a minute or more. Disk Utility "Repair Permissions" made no difference.

I fixed it and got PL launching with a happy smile in practically no time again by dumping the PL preference folder from ~user | Library | Preferences | ....

The launch after this was immediately fine (no need to restart the computer or even empty the trash) but asking me to register. Thsi was no trouble, as I keep the registration numbers ready to hand on a WP document so I can copy and paste them when necessary.

A couple of other things are looking a bit unhappy following the installation of OS X.4.10 update, so I am fiddling with them too -- in one case, doing a reinstall.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

I did the update to 10.4.10 when it was available and had no start problem. PL32 works like it did before. If your one is very slow I think the update did remove a color profile or anything else that you had setup for default. Since you deleted your setup files, I think we can't find out what the problem caused.

Gerhard
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Yes, I thought of that after, Gerhard (the mouse moves faster than the brain, sometimes). But it is working fine now. As I said, though, a couple of other things were misbehaving, so I had to fix those too. Looks as though it was some peculiarity about my set up, as I suspected from the outset.

I just thought I would post it in case someone else was having trouble.

Cheers, Geoff

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Hello Gerhard

The launching of PL 32 has slowed down again. I did have some system trouble a few weeks ago, but it had already slowed down before that.

I've sent the Preferences Folder off to you by email so you can see if there is something corrupted in there.

Cheers, Geoff

greenmorpher
Mitglied

Hiya Gerhard

Thanks for your emailed reply. I thought I would reply here to bring your solution to others.

Yes, the extra filter plug-ins definitely were the culprit. I removed the Preference selection of their folder, and the launching time went down from about 15 seconds to 2. When I went to preferences and chose the folder again, it took 12-14 seconds for PL32 to load them.

Excellent. I have reduced the number and now it takes about 8 seconds. The preference to use them isn't sticking for the moment, but that's fine. Most of the time I don't want them -- I can load them when I need them.

Cheers, Geoff