White and Grey Points

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
johngie
Mitglied

White and Grey Points

Beitrag von johngie »

I've just bought this great software - why/how have I missed it until now. Coming from PSP it's easy to learn but I can't get to grips with the White Point dialog at all. I'm used to doing this in Nikon Capture, where you can define and adjust the white, black and neutral points in the image just by pinning the respective points ontto the image with the mouse. That's how I expected it to work here, but it doesn't. In fact it seems to do nothing useful at all, so what am I missing?

All I want to do is:

Make a brightest highlight white
Make a deep shadow black
Make a point that's supposed to be grey a neutral grey

Just like Nikon Capture, in other words!

Regards
John
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: White and Grey Points

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Try menu "Tool > Curves..." or right-click on the layer in the layer-palette, there you can find the same function. I think you are looking for the 3 pickers in the curves-tool.

EDIT: You should turn the preview off before picking colors, otherwise Photoline will read the already adjusted colors. That's the button with the eye in the lower-left corner.
johngie
Mitglied

Beitrag von johngie »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:Try menu "Tool > Curves..." or right-click on the layer in the layer-palette, there you can find the same function. I think you are looking for the 3 pickers in the curves-tool.
Thanks for the help. It (sort of) worked, but rather awkwardly compared with (say) Nikon Capture NX which implements this function perfectly, straightforwardly and without fuss, straight from the toolbar.

John
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

I also have difficulty with this. However, while I haven't used the Nikon software myself, I know a Nikon wielding PSP expert who always makes the point that from where she sits, the Nikon software is simply unbeatable in this one function. She ALWAYS does the white, black and neutral points in the Nikon software before moving her pictures into PSP.

So you might be looking for the holy grail here. I'm planning to do some serious work with this in PL32 in the next few days; I have some rather badcly exposed travel photos taken 4000 kms away -- and therefore just a tad unreapeatable! -- which I need to turn into reasonably viewable pix.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com