Paste a grey image to control a working layer

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
pallad
Mitglied

Paste a grey image to control a working layer

Beitrag von pallad »

I am a new user of PhotoLine (V14.11), having moved from Photoshop Elements. I hope that someone can describe how to use an existing grey-scale image to control a working layer and keep the effect of the grey-scale image editable.

I have worked out how to paint a grey-scale image onto the “Special Channel” of a working layer and any changes that I make to the Special Channel are reflected in the activity of the working layer. However, I want to use an _existing_ grey-scale image for this purpose. I have tried copying and pasting the grey-scale image into the Special Channel but the Special Channel does not seem to accept the grey image.

I don't think that I want to use a mask to simply select the pixels that the working layer is applied to because as far as I can understand the result is not an editable layer that controls the activity of the working channel.

I would greatly appreaciate step-by-step instructions to use an existing grey image to control a working layer and then edit the grey image to alter its effect on the working layer.

Regrads,
Pallad
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Paste a grey image to control a working layer

Beitrag von Hoogo »

A simple way would be to turn the grey layer into the desired working layer: Menu "Layer > Modify working layer >..."
If the working layer already exists with all its adjustments, you could copy the grey image to the layer this way:
-Activate the grey image
-Menu "tool > change channels", move black to the clipboard.
-Activate the working layer
-Menu "tool > change channels", move the clipboard to black.

You could also use the clone brush to move the content of one layer into another, but that seems to be a bit weird for this purpose to me.
pallad
Mitglied

Beitrag von pallad »

Thank you! This is just the information that I wanted.
Hoogo hat geschrieben:A simple way would be to turn the grey layer into the desired working layer: Menu "Layer > Modify working layer >..."
This works exactly as you describe provided I make sure to first > Layer > Convert layer type > To=Monochrome or To=Grey image
Hoogo hat geschrieben: If the working layer already exists with all its adjustments, you could copy the grey image to the layer this way:
-Activate the grey image
-Menu "tool > change channels", move black to the clipboard.
-Activate the working layer
-Menu "tool > change channels", move the clipboard to black.
Thanks also for this tip. It is just the sort of thing that I want to do and I never would have found it otherwise.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

From version 14.11 on you can select the working layer and the gray image and combine them with "Layer/Reduce To One Layer". The gray image has to be in front of the working layer.

By using layer modes like "Multiply" and "Screen" you can create combinations of the current content of the working layer mask and the gray image.

Martin
Antworten