new test version 1490b8

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
lutz
Mitglied

new test version 1490b8

Beitrag von lutz »

Hello,
The advantages of the 64 bit OSses and "PL64" sound great.
I do not have a 64bit OS yet. Would the PS plugins work in 64 bit?

The new Photoline version:
http://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1632
okapi
Mitglied
Re: new test version 1490b8

Beitrag von okapi »

No, unfortunately at the moment they don't work. But as Gerhard Huber mentioned, as soon as there will be a 64bit version of PS (CS4) out, there will be certainly third party plugins available for 64bit.

Michael
Loadus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Loadus »

Just tested the beta in Windows Vista 64-bit and Kubuntu. Massive speed in Vista, I was actually kind of stunned. Works in Kubuntu too, layers have the redraw issue, but that's a Wine glitch. Imagebrowser crashes when closing, but again that's an image redraw issue and I'm pretty sure the crash happens in Wine, not in Photoline. I got to run it in the console to see all the debug messages. But it works, that's the main thing! :D

In 64-bit Vista, radius 40 Gaussian Blur into 4K image (4096x2304 - 16-bit/ch) applied in less than a second. Nice work, guyz. ^^
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

When trying to print a 10819x2025 JPG panorama using poster mode in a 4 panel layout (horizontal only), I get one of those "fatal error" alerts and I have to shut PL32 down using the task manager. The same photo prints just fine from PL32 v13.9 using the same poster-print settings.

At least the docking of the toolbars and panels seems to work now (FINALLY!, what a pain in the arse that has always been). It worked somewhat okay in v14.1, but in v14.5 it was totally busted. Now it finally seems to work for all toolbars and panels. I dare not move any of them though for fear that it'll all go belly-up once again. I don't trust what got fixed.

I keep seeing that the "red-eye" tool keeps being listed as new or improved for the longest time, but I never see one bit of improvement in its performance or usage for the last 2 years. Either redo that tool from the beginning or just remove it entirely. Its existence just makes advanced editing software look like crap.

I see that a "Color Fields: Function to find 'harmonic' colors" function was added, but I've yet to see where that might be.

The "Variable blur" filter seems interesting but for the novice user it might not be apparent that it applies a variable-blur depending on the level of transparency of the mask. Needs more documentation or more descriptive adjustment labels. Intermediate transparency in the mask is what gets adjusted by the variable blur filter.

It appears that you still can't work on just one of the Lab layers by selecting one particular layer (one only L, a, or b, layer enabled) from the layer's panel.

Nice to see that the brush rotate adjustment now goes a full 180 degrees instead of 100.

Would be nice if filters/plugins could be renamed, it's difficult to find them by company name, and there's still an agonizing 1+ minute start-up delay every time it has to rescan all plugins every time that PL32 is loaded. Caching that list would be a huge improvement. I won't hold my breath for that ever being improved nor fixed.

I notice that any filters added to a customized toolbar no longer get a popup description (like what used to happen in pre v14.1 PL32 builds). Now my plugins on my custom toolbar are pretty much useless. There's no way to remember which one I am picking they all have the same "generic" icon with no description, so I revert to the painful method of selecting them from the filter menu (by the annoying un-editable company name instead of the plugin name). Still waiting to have a simple way to apply a new icon to custom toolbar additions and for all those PL32 tools that don't have a standard icon assigned to them. I edited the icon graphics file one time and then PL32 changed again and my extensive icon file became useless yet again. What a useless waste of time that was on my part.

And yet, with all these drawbacks and bugs, I still keep using PL32, because I haven't found a better program -- YET. But I keep looking for a different graphic edtior. Because I'm getting hopelessly tired of the bugs and the lack of useful descriptions and valid documentation.

The phrase "rough around the edges" doesn't even begin to describe how unfinished that PL32 has been and is becoming even more rough around the edges.

Please, don't add any more new functions until you FIX and DOCUMENT all the previous ones.

Which reminds me, was the HDR image alignment feature ever fixed? I didn't bother to test that again as it never worked right, so it became yet another useless new feature of PL32. Just like the red-eye tool that's never been useful.
Martin Stricker
Mitglied

Beitrag von Martin Stricker »

Koyaanis hat geschrieben:
I keep seeing that the "red-eye" tool keeps being listed as new or improved for the longest time, but I never see one bit of improvement in its performance or usage for the last 2 years. Either redo that tool from the beginning or just remove it entirely. Its existence just makes advanced editing software look like crap.
there is an new "red-eye" tool, you can find it in the toolbox by clicking on the "repairing brush".
Koyaanis hat geschrieben: I see that a "Color Fields: Function to find 'harmonic' colors" function was added, but I've yet to see where that might be.
right-click on the foreground/background color field, a list will appear where you can choose "harmony".

Martin
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Re: new test version 1490b8 - Odd error.

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

I found an odd bug.

Load any 8-bit jpg file.

On the Attributes > Layer options panel click enable 16-bit, then change to monochrome layer type. Weirdness happens.

Which reminds me of something. Shouldn't a monochrome selection allow you to select the cutoff dividing point between black and white in a photo? I would think a quick "cutoff" selection with preview should be presented whenever changing a layer to "monochrome". No?

Had another weirdity happen yesterday. When loading up an image and then clicking on "edit mask" I would then flood-fill that mask with black to then paint on it in white. I would always get an unrecoverable error that required I quite PL from the task-manager. I was able to get around it by doing a "select all" after clicking on "edit mask", then flood-filling with black on the mask. Can't seem to duplicate that today though.

Otherwise, PL32 is starting to look pretty good -- again. Now ... if only something could be done about that english help file. HDPhoto still doesn't show up in any search for that term. Among others.

p.s. Nice improvement on that red-eye tool, but it did nothing for the green, orange, and intense cyan eyes that I get in animal photos. :-) I never photograph people so it's never a problem with RED-eyes for me. Could there be an option in the "tool-settings" panel that allows you to sample the color that you want to repair? Maybe even a little panel that allows you to select where you want a catch-light to appear in the eye. Like on those 3-d lighting options where you just move the highlight over the surface of a ball to select the light's direction and hardness. That'd cover about all bases possible.
okapi
Mitglied
Re: new test version 1490b8 - Odd error.

Beitrag von okapi »

Koyaanis hat geschrieben:I found an odd bug.

Load any 8-bit jpg file.

On the Attributes > Layer options panel click enable 16-bit, then change to monochrome layer type. Weirdness happens.
I can confirm that. The problem occurs when 16-bit and monochrome layer type is enabled. When zooming the image after that, it disappears.
Antworten