Are PL32 Layers saved to PDF "PDF Layers"?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Are PL32 Layers saved to PDF "PDF Layers"?

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

The subject says it all.

They are layers, but does Acrobat recognize them as "PDF Layers".

PDF layers can be manipulated in Acrobat Pro, I believe, for some interesting effects.

cheers,geoff
lutz
Mitglied

Re: Are PL32 Layers saved to PDF "PDF Layers"?

Beitrag von lutz »

Hello Geoff,

I do not have Acrobat Pro. But bitmap layers and working layers open in PagePlus as bitmap layers and text as text from PhotoLine PDFs.

Lutz
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Thanks, Lutz. I asked because over on the Canvas forum they are discussing PDF layers with former Canvas programmer, Arnost Lobel (who did the PDF export filter, I believe) and it seems that relatively few graphics apps export layers in PDF or rather, layers that are "PDF layers" (whatever that means exactly). Canvas does, but the capability has never been exploited for marketing.

If PL32's PDF export layers qualify as "PDF layers" -- and if they are recognized on import by PagePlus they probably do -- then image/DTP/graphics professionals could be interested in that ... it could be a useful selling point.

cheers, geoff
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

Hi Geoff,

I did try it at work. The PDF from Photoline opens nicely in Acrobat and text is editable and highlightable, but the layers do not seem to be recognized as "Acrobat" layers. The layers are obviously there (I can see them in PagePlus) but do not show up in the layers view of Acrobat 8 professional.
NoSi
Betatester

Beitrag von NoSi »

Hi

As far as I understand, the "Acrobat layers" are «logical» groupings of elements, like CAD programs offer. This groups show/hide additional information or switch between different languages. This requires a "naming and combining" area, which is by default available in CAD programs. Therefore Adobe offers (afaik) an extended PDF-printer, that exports this ability into i.e. AutoCAD-PDFs.

Generally, Photoline may offer this, too. Layer are available and can be named and grouped. But they are not written in the required format into the pdf, if they do not show up. Perhaps it simply requires a technical description of the format, to implement. But I have no idea, where to find it.

But, btw., it should be mentioned, that this option is not accessible by standard Acrobat Reader (afaik). So, it is not quite shure, if it needs to be implemented. Keep in mind, that most PDFs are simply viewed. Most "pdf-users" almost don´t know, that a pdf may be searched for words. At least this is my impression of German users.

Greetings,
NoSi
Screencasts zu Photoline: http://www.buoa.de • Win 10x64 / PL64, immer und ausschließlich die aktuellste Beta-Version.