Cropping to exact pixel size

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Cropping to exact pixel size

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

A search of the help file and here on this forum has failed to answer this question: How do I crop an image to an exact pixel size?

I selected the rectangular lasso tool, but the tool settings do not show a pixels option. The closest option I see is the proportional ratio, but I do not find the proportion ratio for the required size of 1280x1024 pixels.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
lutz
Mitglied

Re: Cropping to exact pixel size

Beitrag von lutz »

You could use the crop tool and set the units to pixel by right-clicking into the Tool Settings dimension boxes. Enter you pixel values and hit enter. Then move around the crop window and press the crop button (in Tool Settings).
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

Zuletzt geändert von akeller am Do 28 Okt 2010 19:40, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Another way would be "Tool > Lasso > Formlasso". Choose the red rectangle shape, enter your desired values and press OK. Then choose the usual lasso tool, move the lasso as you want and click on the crop-button.
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

Zuletzt geändert von akeller am Do 28 Okt 2010 19:40, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

The crop tool should be better renamed to Crop & Resample - it is really doing unexpected things otherwise.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

Thanks for the additional question and explanations here. To me, the solution seems a very round-about way to perform what is really a simple task.

Thanks.

OldRadioGuy
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

Well, my impression is that the "form lasso" is a simple tool for the simple task - however one will only ever find the right tool after help from the forum.
:?:
The crop tool is an über-engineered tool for a pretty complex task. Very useful, but not really intuitive - and it would need a far better explanation in the help files. Especially confusing is the pixel mode. It is discussed at the moment in the german language forum.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hello Old Radio Guy

Perhaps what you need is to work in a Pixel Mode. Now, PL32 has Menu Bar > View > Pixel Mode, but having consulted the "Help", I'm not sure whether this means you are WORKING in whole pixels or simply seeing things in pixels at the designated resolution of the image.

What I would LIKE it to be is to ensure that I was WORKING in whole pixels and that all measurements would default to pixels, but they would still be able to be changed to other units BUT limited by the fact that any measurements in the other units would default to the nearest pixel, i.e. they would work in pixel increments.

This is great when generating webpages or content for webpages. Being able to SEE in Pixel Mode tells you exactly what viewers will see in their browsers at normal zoom; being able to WORK in Pixel Mode ensures that we can size stuff accurately so that it can drop straight into designated holes in layouts.

---

Now -- your query about "crop to an exact pixel size". Do you want to:

(a) crop and re-size to a exact pixel dimensions, or

(B) crop out a portion of a picture which has precise dimensions in pixels?

IF THE FORMER, it's probably better to change the resolution to the desired final resolution first. I admit to being confused how to do this in PL32. Do you just change the figure in Menu Bar > Layer > Layer Properties or in Menu Bar > Layer > Scale Layer, or what? Shouldn't "Scale Layer" allow you to link resolution with length and width dimensions? Well, it seems not to. There's a check box there, but it seems there is no difference in what happens whether or not the box is checked. Next, choose the marquee (marching ants) selection tool, and select what you want. Next, double click on that tool, and the "Form Lassoo" dialog will appear and you can fine-tune your selection to your desired dimensions AND location by measurement.

IF THE LATTER, as above without setting the final resolution first.

QUESTIONS which arise which aren't covered in the "Help":

1) Setting the resolution as described above. Can anyone tell me how to set the resolution? I just don't understand what is going on. If the picture dimensions are in pixels, and I reduce the resolution from 144 to 72 pixels, the number of pixels to a side must change, surely, to maintain the same absolute size? But it doesn't. Note that PL32 has excellent tools for handling resolution changes, but if I just set a new rez in Layer Properties, I have no idea what tool has been used to handle it.

2) I queried the "Help" for "Scale Layer" and the Help came up with "Scale Document" and "Scale Page" -- but no reference to "Scale Layer" !!! Say what ? finally managed to bring up "Scale Layer" by asking for "New Layer", and then clicking on "Next" at the foot of the page (it wopuld be nice if these links were at the top of the page too). NOTE: THE NEW POINTERS from the help menu to the actual command in the menus is a great help in overcoming the idiosyncratic naming and arrangement of menu commands in PL32.

3) PIXEL MODE -- does it mean we are only seeing in pixel mode, but not actually working to exact pixels? If we aren't working in pixels, can we get that incorporated into the program?

4) In the "Form Lassoo" dialog there is a "Smooth" checkbox and a "Frame". These would appear to mean "Anti-aliasing" (a term which everyone knows) and "Pixels", the number of pixels over which anti-aliasing is extended. It would be really, really nice if industry terms were used. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- no image manipulation virgins are going to take on PL32, it is much too high a level of program for that. It will attract those who have used other programs and wish to take a step up -- itwould attract them much more if it used the terms to which they were accustomed.

So there you go, Old Radio Guy -- PL32 has excellent tools for doing this stuff, you just might not understand what's going on and at times, it might seem odd, not to say totally confusing. Or, in the case of Pixel Mode, it might appear to be doing stuff which it is not actually doing because you are only viewing in whole pixels, not working in them. Perhaps!

Let's hope for some elucidation.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

Get "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" to deliver your words with real zing; and "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter" to learn to step safely in the publishing minefield. Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »