Feature Request for the new Variable Blur filter

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Feature Request for the new Variable Blur filter

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

I really like the addition of this new filter. It allows you to create very realistic DOF in images by using the depth mask. However, I have a plugin from many years ago, which does something similar, but it goes a step further.

Not only can you apply a gaussian blur by a depth mask, but you can also design your own lens aperture shapes for that DOF effect.

Would it be possible to expand on Photoline's Variable Blur filter by allowing you to use brush shapes to define the way the gaussian blur is applied? (Or also as an option for the regular Guassian Blur filter where you don't need the much slower and more CPU intensive depth map effect too.)

Attached is a simple example of an image with a 6-sided (hexagon) ring aperture blur applied. Too strongly applied to give you a clearer idea of what I'm talking about. The plugin goes by the name of "Lenscare by Frischluft", if you can find it anymore. Any concentric shapes of lens apertures can be designed with this plugin.

I see Photoline's Variable Blur (and standard Gaussian Blur) feature going even further than that. By using the brush shapes you could use any shape-mask to create the blur effect. If you want the sparkling highlights from water in the sun looking like little blurry holiday-trees, blurring further as they go off into the distance, you could even do that. If you want to create a star-filter, that would be easy. Applied to only the highlights. Etc.

One of the camera hardware-filter companies does this, by allowing you to drop mask-shapes into a filter holder in front of the lens to create these shaped blur effects. Adding this feature to the Variable Blur filter would create the ultimate DOF lens emulator.

Another adjustment slider where the effect would be applied only to a cutoff intensity level in the image would be nice too. Further adding to its uses. (Adding a blurred star, for example, only to the candle flames on a cake.) Then you wouldn't have to muck-about by creating masks to define those highlights to apply it to.

Adding this extra feature to the blur filters would allow me to get rid of about 5 different plugins that I've used at different times. :D

How much do you want to bet that Hoogo or Gerhard are going to stop by and tell me that that possibility is already built into Photoline, and that I just haven't found it yet. I hate when that happens. :lol:
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Feature Request for the new Variable Blur filter

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I have do disappoint you ;) But I asked for blurring using brushes for weighting, maybe its on some wishlist already.