Effects Filter: Lights -- Improvement Request

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Effects Filter: Lights -- Improvement Request

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

I normally don't have much use for a vignetting correction filter for my photography, but tonight I ran across one image where I had zoomed-out a little too much when using an adapter lens. Two of the corners in the photo, top and bottom right, are darker than they should be.

It surprised me when I went hunting for a vignetting-correction filter, and found none. Not having looked for that filter in Photoline all this time I never knew that this common photo correction-filter was missing from all the other amazing things that Photoline can do.

I used or tried various work-arounds. Like making a curves working-layer, setting it so it would over-correct for the corners light-falloff, then flooding it with a circular gradient to vary its intensity across the image, and other things like that. But I was never quite pleased with the results and it was really touchy to try to get the mask-gradient correct as well as matching it up with the amount of over-correction needed by the working-layer's properties itself.

Then I though about using the "Lights" filter in the Effects menu. This is almost exactly what I needed to fix this off-axis vignetting. But I couldn't change end-colors of the gradient used to create the amount of light correction needed. You can only have a white or colored light, and a dark end-point, the perimeter of the fake-light effect.

This tool could be really useful as a vignetting correction tool, especially for the asymmetric vignetting that I found in that photo tonight.

1. It would only need to allow for picking the center and edge colors so I could switch black for white on either end. It could also help with odd color vignetting that can sometimes happen with IR photography and specialty camera-filters if it allowed changing the end-points of the gradient to any colors. There's an odd case with the expensive Leica M8 camera too where they didn't filter the CCD properly and all those cameras suffer from a strange green vignetting when used with certain lenses. A tool with this feature could even repair the photos from those cameras.

2. It would also be very helpful to set an intensity curve to the gradient. So that you could make the gradient stronger at one end or the other. This would allow you to adjust for a rapid light-falloff or a mild one affecting only a small margin in the corners of a photo.

Could these 2 additions be put into the Light Effects filter? It would really benefit photographers, to use an English phrase: killing lots of birds with 2 stones.

In the meantime I had to resort to using a plugin that doesn't allow me to set where the center of the vignetting correction should be, so I couldn't exactly fix the image with its asymmetric vignetting. With the Lights Effect tool with the 2 requested additions, then I could fix a photo like that properly, better than any plugin or other vignetting-correction tool I have ever used in the past.

Now watch, someone's going to tell me ... "The vignetting correction tool with all the features you needed is on menu .... and it's always been there." :)
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Re: Effects Filter: Lights -- Improvement Request

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Excellent thoughts, Koyaanis. As a first step, simply invert this filter so it goes from dark to light using only the single light mode.

Your two suggested refinements are right on. Maybe they might be the second step in the development of this tool.

As an anti-vignetting tool, such a tool should be in the Digital Camera sub-menu.

The current "Lights" tool, preferably with the additional facilities you suggest, should stay in the Effects menu.

One other thing -- the coverage and centre point adjustment needs to be more refined than is currently possible, at least on the Mac. The image in the tool is too small and doesn't adjust up with the larger sizing of the palette. This makes using the tool a bit clumsy. The attachment demonstrates.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business" FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Amazon or http://www.worsleypress.com
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Ah, the image didn't load first time. Here it is.

Cheers, Geoff
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

While we're talking about extending and inverting existing filters in PL, what about the Blur > Shake filter?

We've been having a discussion on the Canvas forum about filters too, and one advanced bloke mentioned FocusMagic http://www.focusmagic.com. This is a plugin with two functions, Fix Motion Blur and Fix Out-Of-Focus Blur.

I trialled it a little, and the Fix Motion Blur particularly took my fancy. It is designed to eliminate or minimize camera shake.

Now, I wonder how the Blur > Shake filter in PL compares with this? Does it have the potential to be used as anti-shake if developed with options as Fix Motion Blur has?

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business" FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
greenmorpher
Mitglied

I didn't mention the price of FocusMagic -- it's US$45. I note that it is the same for both Mac and Windows ... but for Windows you get much better value, both the plugin and a stand-alone program that has several extra functions. Grrr~!

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad Doctor Online

Win business with the recession-busting "How to make great ads for (sm)all business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". See http://www.worsleypress.com
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Thanks for that idea about inverting the "Lights" effect on a layer. But again I'm left with trying to pre-guess how much vignetting correction to set it for. When correcting for vignetting you really do need a real-time preview of your adjustments. Especially in this off-axis situation.

At this point I'd even settle for a less capable vignetting-correction tool with similar features as the "Radial Blur" filter where you can set a center reference point, or on the Zoom Blur tool. Hey .... what happened to the Zoom Blur tool? I was sure Photoline used to have one. Is this what happens in harsh economic times? They have to cut back on the number of filters and tools available? :) Oops, never mind. That's an option on the Radial Blur filter. :D

As for the size of the Lights Effect tool. I agree it would have to be much larger. But I think there's a good reason for that much space around the image area so you can adjust the "light" better. By adjusting the size (hold shift to make it proportional), and using the "focus" adjustment, you're able to apply milder lighting effects across a whole image, not unlike how I think it needs an intensity curve adjustment. I like how it works, but it does need to have a larger preview area, and the previous mentioned additions for a very effective vignetting-correction tool.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Thanks for that idea about inverting the "Lights" effect on a layer.
That's basically what you were asking for, with refinements, I thought. I was thinking about a short cut for initial development -- like 15.56~! :)

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad Doctor Online

Win business with the recession-busting "How to make great ads for (sm)all business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". See http://www.worsleypress.com
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

You can actually do vignetting correction - or, indeed, any kind of local exposure correction - using PL's layer blending modes.

For me, the important point was to look for a possibility to locally adjust the exposure of the image, not brightness, to keep colours intact.

My idea was to add a greyscale layer with a suitable layer blending mode. Checking these modes, it turned out that "colour dodge" adjusts exposure. Black means no exposure correction, 50 % grey is one F stop, 75 % is two F stops. You can use a colour image to adjust the colour channels independently if necessary. (The counterpart for overexposure would be "Multiply", not colur burn.)

To compensate for vignetting, I have actually created a (vector) rectangle covering the entire image. Set the layer blend mode for that image to "colour dodge" and fill it with a radial colour gradient with black in the center (wrt. the vignetting) and ending in the most affected corner of the image. Adjust the corner colour to a grey level which compensates the vignetting. Then add more color control points to adjust intermediate values. Instead of doing this in the gradient editor, you can also select the rectangle in the main window and choose the curve point editing tool (looks like an arrowhead). You can then fine tune the gradient on top of the full sized picture, giving you maximum control. The screenshot below also includes the original photo (which I found at http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pent ... -body.html).
vignetting correction.jpg
Cheers

Burkhard.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Thanks for those valuable tips. Particularly the idea about using the curves adjustment on the gradient layer to fine tune the light drop-off rate correction needed. That's what I suggested needs to be in the "Lights" effects filter if the two changes were added to turn it into a powerful vignetting correction tool. I hadn't considered applying that curves-adjustment idea to the gradient layer overlay I was using at the time. Idea "A" never made it to application of method "B" in my mind for some reason. :)

But ... it really shouldn't take this many steps. :( Doable, but most editors these days include a nice vignetting correction tool dedicated to the process. One filter or adjustment layer with a couple sliders. Click, slide, slide, and you're done. In Photoline's case though, that "Lights" filter could gain so much more uses if modified to allow for vignetting correction too, as opposed to one for vignetting-correction only. Imagine a stage-lit scene with various colored floods that are really destroying some flesh-tones badly, then your lens adds in its own vignetting too. The "Lights" effect filter could tweak all of them.

Come to think of it, the "Lights" effect filter would need one more option, a drop-down menu of layer-blend types, wouldn't it? Or just apply it to a new layer and choose the blend-type from there, I guess that'd be just as simple with added benefits.

If PhotoLine ever gets a tool like this (with the ability to adjust for center too, like the "Lights" tool already has) then I'll be quite content. And it'll be nice to know that there are other ways with even more powerful control possible if ever required.

Thanks.