Suggested Improvements

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Suggested Improvements

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

When using PhotoLine, I find it frustrating that text insertion cannot be included in an action and neither can the use of the Stamp tool. Nor can I find a way to save text from one use of the Text tool the next time it's used.

I often process images from a photo shoot and have the need to insert both a watermark (as a stamp) and a brief text identification. It would be helpful to be able to apply these through an action during the batch converting process.

I hope I'm not the only one who sees potential for these changes.

Bob
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
akeller
Mitglied

Re: Suggested Improvements

Beitrag von akeller »

Hi Bob,
OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben:When using PhotoLine, I find it frustrating that text insertion cannot be included in an action and neither can the use of the Stamp tool. Nor can I find a way to save text from one use of the Text tool the next time it's used.
1. Stamp:
Create a pld-file with the text you want to add to your picture.
Save this file in Photoline-Folder/Defaults/Stamp.
Choose the stamp-tool and as stamp your saved file.
But you are not able to edit text after you stamp it to the picture.

2. Text-Shortcut:
Search TextShortcuts.txt in Photoline-Folder/Defaults.
Open it with text-editor and add your desired text, for example:
"watermark1"="This photo is taken by Bob - copyright 2010 by OldRadioGuy. No Animals Were Harmed During the Making of This Photo";
Click with the text-tool on your photo and write "watermark1" push space and the text will appear.
For formating the text you can use the pallet text-styles [Alt]-[Ctrl]-[Shift]-T.

3. Action:
Take a look at "Add Date", should be included in the standard-installation.
This action is using the function "Text to Picture".

Cheers
Andreas
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Andreas, thanks for the prompt reply.

I have been making stamps for some time now and have a logo or watermark which I can add to individual images as needed.

I found the Text Shortcuts via Layout>Text>Edit Text Shortcuts...
It is a handy and time-saving utility. And the Add Date action is great, too. (I just tried it, and it listed the date as 02.02.2010?)

However, it's still impossible to record an action that:
1. Places formatted text on a new layer of an image at a specified location and holds that text for use on the next image to be processed.
2. Places a stamp on another new layer of the same image.

By using layers the original image would be preserved. The action could be used from the Browser batch operation on a group of similar images.

Bob
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

Hi Bob,
OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben:I found the Text Shortcuts via Layout>Text>Edit Text Shortcuts...
Thanks for this hint, I didn't know this possibility.

After playing a little, I guess PL has all functions to realize your request.
Because it is difficult to write here all necessary steps I produced a small screencast.
Please find it here: Sorry, no longer available (Flash, about 14 MB, 11 Minutes)
Sorry about my bad English :roll:

Andreas
Zuletzt geändert von akeller am Di 12 Okt 2010 20:43, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

akeller hat geschrieben: Because it is difficult to write here all necessary steps I produced a small screencast.
Andreas, this is exactly what I needed. Your screencast tutorial is extremely helpful. You are very kind, and I thank you. :D

I wish there were more tutorials like this that demonstrate the power of PL. In my opinion, they would increase the North American customer base among those desperately seeking an alternative to other over-priced and bloated photo editing software. I have searched YouTube and the Internet and found only tutorials on the basics of PL, and those appear to be very old.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Bob
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hiya Andreas

Many thanks for that too. Very helpful. Mind you -- it has a disadvantage; it demands being organized~! (And for me, that's a problem.)

As Bob says, there needs to be more of these more complex tutorials. PL is a great program but it suffers from a lack of reach out to and response to customers. Marketing, in short. 80+% of the cost of a Microsoft program is in marketing. No need to go as high as that, but there certainly is a need to spend more on it for PL.

Best regards, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business" FREE when you buy "Success in Store: how to start or buy a retail business, enjoy running it and make money: or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Buy at Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

Hi Bob & Geoff,

thanks for your nice feedback. :D
Maybe you're too friendly to mention the mistakes. I just watched the screencast again and found a lot of failures.
Not only the pronunciation (preset) but also such thinks like "right corner" but it was the left corner ... :(
It is not so easy to make such a tutorial and I did it in no time (maybe only 20 minutes)
If you would like to do it professional it will take much more time. To be perfect you have to prepare it very precise up to all sentences you want to say.
OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben:I wish there were more tutorials like this that demonstrate the power of PL. In my opinion, they would increase the North American customer base among those desperately seeking an alternative to other over-priced and bloated photo editing software. I have searched YouTube and the Internet and found only tutorials on the basics of PL, and those appear to be very old.
greenmorpher hat geschrieben:PL is a great program but it suffers from a lack of reach out to and response to customers. Marketing, in short. 80+% of the cost of a Microsoft program is in marketing. No need to go as high as that, but there certainly is a need to spend more on it for PL.
In my opinion you're both right. But it seems to be like the question: Who was first hen or egg?
I guess the Computerinsel has no time (money?) to produce professional screencasts.
But because there is no big request (amount) in the market, nobody else is interested to produce professional tutorials.
Norbert (nosi) and me started with some German screencast some while ago but we didn't have the time or energy to do it constantly.
He is running his own business and I do have a job which is taking a lot of my time.
If I take in count how much money I already spend (Camtasia Studio Software, Domain, web space) + my spare time some people would call me stupid. :?
But on the other hand it is somehow a hobby and you are always willing to spend money + time on it. :P

And finally it is very pleasant for me if I could help a little with this screencast.

Kind Regards,
Andreas
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

Hi again,

I forgot to answer this:
greenmorpher hat geschrieben:Mind you -- it has a disadvantage; it demands being organized~! (And for me, that's a problem.)
You know the saying: "Only stupid people take care about order, a genius is managing chaos."
Somehow this is also my credo, hence don't mind, you're not alone. :lol:

Andreas
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

akeller hat geschrieben:You know the saying: "Only stupid people take care about order, a genius is managing chaos."
That's a new one for me; thanks Andreas. I'll use is constantly.

Mind you, even my friends might suggest that it highlights a second problem -- I'm messy, not to say chaotic, but not a genius ... :lol:

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad Doctor Online

Win business with the recession-busting "How to make great ads for (sm)all business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". See http://www.worsleypress.com