Mask Question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Mask Question

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

One of the perplexing challenges for me in learning PhotoLine is the mask concept -- It's much different than mask and selection in Photoshop Elements and PaintShop Pro.

For example, in this photo in Elements, I can easily blend two layers
1. Open a photo
2. Create a copy of the background layer
3. Create another layer beneath the background copy layer and flood it with a color.
4. Attach a mask to the background photo layer
5. Select the mask and apply a transparent gradient.

Bild

I know it should be just as simple in PhotoLine, but I have been unable to figure out. The Help file is no help at all here.

I create a layer mask with Ctrl+Shift+X. Selecting the mask layer does not allow me to apply a transparent gradient to blend the photo layer will a color layer below.

What am I missing here?
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
bkh
Betatester

Re: Mask Question

Beitrag von bkh »

OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben:I create a layer mask with Ctrl+Shift+X. Selecting the mask layer does not allow me to apply a transparent gradient to blend the photo layer will a color layer below.

What am I missing here?
In PL, a layer mask is a greyscale image, usually with no transparency. White means that the corresponding layer is totally opaque, black means it is totally transparent, intermediate levels of grey give you partial transparency. Just select the layer mask in the layer dialog and fill it with a black-to-white gradient, or use a painting tool. I have attached a small example file blending a red and a blue layer using a layer mask.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Re: Mask Question

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

Thanks, Burkhard, for your quick reply.

Before I saw your post, I finally stumbled into the correct way to apply the mask.

With my failures, I was getting RGB as the Channels setting and Screen as the Mode setting in Tools Setting section. These settings should have been Gray and Multiply.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what I did to get the incorrect Tool Settings.

Thanks, again!

Bob
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.