Another question about layers

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
joe mama
Mitglied

Another question about layers

Beitrag von joe mama »

Let's say I have two images that are the same dimensions and I want to make one a layer of the other. Is that possible? For example, I like the BW conversion of IrfanView a lot. What I'd like to do is take an image and convert it to BW in IrfanView and save it as image-bw. Then, I want to load both images into PL32 and make image-bw a layer of image. Will this work?

Thanks!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Another question about layers

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

joe mama hat geschrieben:Let's say I have two images that are the same dimensions and I want to make one a layer of the other. Is that possible? For example, I like the BW conversion of IrfanView a lot. What I'd like to do is take an image and convert it to BW in IrfanView and save it as image-bw. Then, I want to load both images into PL32 and make image-bw a layer of image. Will this work?
There are several ways to solve your problem. One way is to:
- Load the first picture
- Use Layer/Management/Load Layer to load the second picture.

But I don't quite understand what you try to achieve because this way you won't see the background layer because the second layer is opaque. You either have to create transparency in the second layer or to choose a display mode like Multiply.

Btw. what kind of BW conversion does IrfanView offer that PL32 doesn't?

Martin
joe mama
Mitglied

Grayscale conversion

Beitrag von joe mama »

I guess I'm not sure how to perform a grayscale conversion in PL32. In the past, I've just desaturated the image. What is the better way to convert to a grayscale image?

Thanks again!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Grayscale conversion

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

joe mama hat geschrieben:I guess I'm not sure how to perform a grayscale conversion in PL32. In the past, I've just desaturated the image. What is the better way to convert to a grayscale image?

Thanks again!
The usual way is to use "Layer/Convert Layer Type". Here you can convert your RGB image to gray or to bw. If you convert to bw you can choose between several dither modes.

Martin
joe mama
Mitglied

convert to bw

Beitrag von joe mama »

I only have the options to convert to monochrome, gray, RGB, CMYK, and vector graphic. There is no BW option.
Michael Roek-Ramirez
Betatester

Absolutely

Beitrag von Michael Roek-Ramirez »

Hello Joe:
"Monochrome" IS "black and white"!
When you chosse that function, you will be offered different dithering methods.
That's what Martin was referring to!

CU

Michael
joe mama
Mitglied

Thanks!

Beitrag von joe mama »

OK, I'm stupid. But, let's move on! : )

Are there different ways to convert to grayscale? I know that PhotoShop has all these different plugins that convert to grayscale in various ways. Are there filters I can use as well, or is the conversion to grayscale the only option?

Thanks a lot!
Michael Roek-Ramirez
Betatester

Different ways

Beitrag von Michael Roek-Ramirez »

Hello Joe:
Nowbody is stupid..... just unexperienced ;-)

To greyscale there is one simple and dirty way:

Layer-Convert Layer Type-To Grey Picture

And another more sophisticated for advanced users....... that's were you already found it:
Tool-Color-Hue/Saturation
There you adjust the saturation slider to the left.
The big advantage of that option is, that you can generate different behaviour for different colors.
The resulting image is not really a grey conversion from the color image, but sometimes you like to generate special effects.

Regards

Michael
wmjordan
Mitglied

Re: Different ways

Beitrag von wmjordan »

Michael Rök-Ramirez hat geschrieben:Hello Joe:
Nowbody is stupid..... just unexperienced ;-)

To greyscale there is one simple and dirty way:

Layer-Convert Layer Type-To Grey Picture

And another more sophisticated for advanced users....... that's were you already found it:
Tool-Color-Hue/Saturation
There you adjust the saturation slider to the left.
The big advantage of that option is, that you can generate different behaviour for different colors.
The resulting image is not really a grey conversion from the color image, but sometimes you like to generate special effects.

Regards

Michael
A better appoach is to use Tools/Color/False Color. Quick ans accurate.
False color is a powerful thing too.
FR
Mitglied

Beitrag von FR »

This is how I convert photographic material from color to B+W ( used this in photoshop for years and should work with any decent Image editing )

On top of the image, place 2 Hue/Saturation Layer, the one neaest to the image control Hue only, adjust for different intensity in the RGB chjannel or better CYMK, use -100 Saturation and adjust brightness on the top layer to get the gray scale ( its not really gray scale, its still RGB but hey ... )

For option, between the 2 Hue/Saturation layer, can add Curve / Adjustment layer or gradiant etc ...

Flatten and convert to gray scale only on last step before saving the tiff or Jpeg.