Paste image 'into' a lasso selection.

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
TTLExpired
Mitglied

Paste image 'into' a lasso selection.

Beitrag von TTLExpired »

Hi guys,

I searched but I don't seem to have an answer. Let's say I have two images: Image A of a scene, image B of a bloke wearing glasses. I copy image A (Ctrl+C) then with lasso I select the bloke sunnies from image B. How do then paste image A 'into' the lasso selection in image B? this way, the glasses actually have the scene from image A instead of just black.

I tried all various pasting techniques but all I get is either another layer, another document etc.. I must be missing something here?
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Paste image 'into' a lasso selection.

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I would choose "convert to clipping layer" from the context menu in the picture. Then paste the new layer and drag the clipping layer to this pasted layer in the layer list.

Or paste and turn off the new layer before creating the selection. Then you could just activate the pasted layer and create a layer mask using the selection.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Basically, I'd "cut out" the glasses in image B and paste A behind it so that A is visible through the holes. The only slight problem is that B must remain the background image (at least when working in image mode), so you'll have to punch the holes into a (virtual) copy of B.

So this is how I would proceed.

1) Open image B.
2) Open the Layer Dialog (and keep it open, you'll need it later on) and select the background layer (containing image B)
3) Make a copy of the background layer, e. g. by pressing the "x 2" button in the layer dialog (or, even better, create a virtual copy using Layer -> Management -> Duplicate Layer Virtually)
4) Select the top layer (i. e., the copy of B)
5) Select glasses
6) Invert the selection (Tool -> Mask -> Invert Mask)
7) Create a layer mask from the mask (Layer -> Layer Mask -> Create from Mask)

Now you have a copy of B with holes in it. If you switch off the bg layer (using the eye symbol in the layer dialog), you can actually see the holes.

8) Paste (or drag and drop) image A into your document
9) In the layer dialog, make sure the layer corresponding to image A is between B and its copy.

Now you should see parts of image A through the holes in the copy of B.

10) Select image A in the layer dialog and use the layer tool to move A into place and scale it as needed.

Fine tuning:

- Try adjusting the intensity of the layer containing image A - in this way, the original glasses (in particular, reflections) come through, which might look more realistic.

- improve the mask by using the paint tools (e.g., create a softer edge, …)

Please don't hesitate to ask if I've been too terse, and apologies if I bored you with too many details.

Cheers

Burkhard.
TTLExpired
Mitglied

Beitrag von TTLExpired »

Appreciate the reply guys. Certainly helped.

Bkh, I followed your directions and you're not boring me at all. I had an inkling that's the way to go but I couldn't do it right and it was great to see it layed out in human format :D

The only observation I might add is in instruction (8), in dragging and dropping, PL didn't just copy image A but it overwrote the top layer of Image B? (could be me though, not sure)

For future reference, this is how I achieved copying image A between the two layers of image B:
8- Click on Image A and copy (CTRL+C)
9 -Click on Image B background layer in the layer dialogue
10 - Edit -> Paste as Layer (CTRL+V)

then the rest of bkh instructions " Now you should see parts of image A through the holes in the copy of B"
etc.

The rest was spot on. Love the fine tuning options too bkh.

Many thanks guys. You're always here for help.
Tom Fulery
Mitglied

Beitrag von Tom Fulery »

This is a ridiculously complex method of simply pasting an image into a selection, which most image editors can do instantly in one step.

It's one of those infuriating flaws that keeps Photoline an amateur image editor.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Couldn't you just duplicate the BGL, then paste your scene as a layer and place it between the two, then add transparency to the top layer (pity you can't do that at the top menu level, LOL, but seriously, this is the only messy little bit of the thing), and cut out the glasses to see the scene underneath? Then command-option-control-L to flatten.
Toy n flower.jpg
Or is that what you said, more or less, Burkhard? I just didn't say "go to the panel and" so it looks like a lot fewer steps. Ah, dash, it, caught cheating again! :P

Cheers, Geoff
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Zuletzt geändert von greenmorpher am Fr 19 Mai 2017 02:28, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Fr 19 Mai 2017 00:57 This is a ridiculously complex method of simply pasting an image into a selection, which most image editors can do instantly in one step.

It's one of those infuriating flaws that keeps Photoline an amateur image editor.
Define "most image editors" Tom.

You might have a point but then you have to start talking about what you mean by pasting an image into a selection. Does the selection crop the image? Can the image be moved after pasting to get the desired framing? Does the image reshape/resize to fit the selection?

The other point is that "most image editors" are not "professional" which is I why I, for one, use PL. It's the layers, mate. :)

Cheers, Geoff
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Fr 19 Mai 2017 00:57 This is a ridiculously complex method of simply pasting an image into a selection
Use Hoogo's suggestion of using a clipping layer.

It's very simple, quick, straightforward, and the current version of PL let's you simply invert the clipping to get the desired result.

There are huge advantages to doing this:
  • It's non-destructive.
  • It's very efficient -- no need to foolishly have to duplicate image pixels.
  • Everything can be re-adjusted, refined, moved: the background image, the clipping layer and the foreground image.
"Pasting into a selection" is a horribly old-fashioned way of working.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Good grief, I just looked at when this thread started and finished -- before Tom Fulery revived it to make a acid and silly comment.

He went back 6 years looking for something to vent his spleen about?

What a fascinating life he must lead.

Anyway, I had a bit of fun finding my solution -- albeit 6 years too late! LOL.

Cheers, Geoff