Vector processing feature request

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
Hangnail
Mitglied

Vector processing feature request

Beitrag von Hangnail »

Greets,

First off, some shameless admiration. Really love version 11 of photoline. Really has squashed some little rough edges on the mac version as well as a lot of new cool capability.

Ok now to the meat of this. I'm starting to play more and more with the vector functions. My primary experience with vector applications have been on the PC side with a wonderful package called Xara. Photoline actually has a lot of the same capabilities except one crucial one. This is advanced transparancy management. You can make a layer uniformly transparant but without working with alpha channels you can't easily do a linear, circular, eliptical, 4 corner, etc transparancy.
Michael Roek-Ramirez
Betatester
??

Beitrag von Michael Roek-Ramirez »

Hello Hangnail:

I do not understand completely, how do you join the
transparency issue with vector drawing?

BTW: You can generate any transparency pattern you want to:
Generate a new Layer, change the layer's caracteristic to "with transparency" (double clic on layer in the layers list) and the draw with the rubber any shape you want! So you generate partial transparency.

You can use blended transparency as well, only if you convert blended transpareny layers into Vector Layers they will change to non-blended.

Regards

Michael
Hangnail
Mitglied

Beitrag von Hangnail »

Well, in Xara, transparency effects are applied exactly like fill effects. So I can select a circle vector object and apply a circular transparancy and the application controls are similar to applying a circular fill (blend).

I'll give your tips a try and see if they give me what I need. Thanks for the help!
Hangnail
Mitglied

Re: ??

Beitrag von Hangnail »

Michael Rök-Ramirez hat geschrieben:Hello Hangnail:

I do not understand completely, how do you join the
transparency issue with vector drawing?

BTW: You can generate any transparency pattern you want to:
Generate a new Layer, change the layer's caracteristic to "with transparency" (double clic on layer in the layers list) and the draw with the rubber any shape you want! So you generate partial transparency.

You can use blended transparency as well, only if you convert blended transpareny layers into Vector Layers they will change to non-blended.

Regards

Michael

I think you can edit the mask channel and add it to the alpha for transparancy effects as well. I am really after transparancy effects for vector objects as vector objects (Without converting them to raster). This might be asking for much as this type of capability seems prelevant in high end illustration programs (corel draw, zara, illustrator). I think one might think of it as adding an alpha channel to a vector object.

Also please understand that I am rather new to raster editing. Most of my experience is with vector applications in which the final product is rasteriszed so working with alpha channels and such is very new to me :)

I'll try to generate a visual example of a simple I can generate natively in Xara. I was able to all the steps in Photoline except the transparancy ones.

It may take a bit as I use a Mac at home and Xara runs on PCs.
Harry
Mitglied

Beitrag von Harry »

Have you tried to use a transparent gradation (e.g. Ball1 or 2) as fill or line color of the vector object? Maybe that solve your problem.

Harry
Hangnail
Mitglied

Beitrag von Hangnail »

Harry hat geschrieben:Have you tried to use a transparent gradation (e.g. Ball1 or 2) as fill or line color of the vector object? Maybe that solve your problem.

Harry
Yes but it is more of an approximation than true transparency. You can approximate the effect but it takes a lot of 'eyeballing'.
Hangnail
Mitglied

I am a complete idiot

Beitrag von Hangnail »

Hangnail hat geschrieben:
Harry hat geschrieben:Have you tried to use a transparent gradation (e.g. Ball1 or 2) as fill or line color of the vector object? Maybe that solve your problem.

Harry
Harry, you are right! I just wasn't paying attention. That is exactly what I was looking for. Photoline has a slightly different way of operating with the dialog boxes from applications I am used to so often things are right in front of me and I don't see them :)

Apologies for creating such a long thread for me to just look closer at the fill dialogs ...
Hangnail
Mitglied

Here's an example of the effect I am looking for

Beitrag von Hangnail »

http://mysite.verizon.net/hangnail/test/hot.png

Note: This is an alpha channeled png so IE on the PC can't normally display the transparency correctly (all other browsers will display it fine). There is a javascript fix for this but the url above is just pointing to the picture at this time. I wanted the transpency effect for the 'hot' text.

The image is actually extremely simple to create in Xara and only a tiny bit more work on Photoline (had to convert the text to a vector layer for the circular distortion to work correctly).

Photoline is freaking awesome!

Thanks for the tips and patience.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Here's an example of the effect I am looking for

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

I like it.
hangnail hat geschrieben:The image is actually extremely simple to create in Xara and only a tiny bit more work on Photoline (had to convert the text to a vector layer for the circular distortion to work correctly).
It's not good, that you had to convert the text to vector. We will change that.

Martin
Gast

Re: Here's an example of the effect I am looking for

Beitrag von Gast »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
I like it.
hangnail hat geschrieben:The image is actually extremely simple to create in Xara and only a tiny bit more work on Photoline (had to convert the text to a vector layer for the circular distortion to work correctly).
It's not good, that you had to convert the text to vector. We will change that.

Martin
The effect of using a text layer seems to have issues becuse of the baseline of the text object itself. I think it is actually distorting correctly if you were to reflect it on a spherical shape. The effect I did I don't think is physically possible in nature but it does look cool. ;)
Hangnail
Mitglied

Beitrag von Hangnail »

Forgot to log in so the above came up as guest ... sigh
Antworten