PL32 future features request

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Pékélé hat geschrieben:Well i'm a comic's book drawer and i'm using this fonction for adding color to my B&W drawing. The B&W drawing is on a layer and i'm adding color on another layer. filling with the Bucket on the new layer is a quick way for adding color.
Now I understand. You want the outlines and the colors to be on separate layers.
Pékélé hat geschrieben:Maybe you have a better way of doing this ?
At the moment I don't know a better way, but we will see what we can do.

Martin
Pékélé

Beitrag von Pékélé »

Now I understand. You want the outlines and the colors to be on separate layers.
Exactly, sorry for my bad english writing. It is hard to explain my point of view.
Thanks a lot for thinking about that.

Pékélé
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Pékélé hat geschrieben:Well i'm a comic's book drawer and i'm using this fonction for adding color to my B&W drawing. The B&W drawing is on a layer and i'm adding color on another layer. filling with the Bucket on the new layer is a quick way for adding color.
We are going to prepare a testing version. If you send a short mail to support @pl32.com we will give you a link to this version and you can see whether the enhanced flood fill tool fits your needs.

Gerhard
Pékélé

Beitrag von Pékélé »

Wonderfull !

thank you, i'm going to send you this right now
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

An option like in "clone brush"? I don't know how that one is called in english, sorry... But it looks very logical to me.
Pékélé
Mitglied
Some little things to request

Beitrag von Pékélé »

Hi all. I've been using PL32 every day since one year now. As i said before, it is a great software. I'm working as a professional with it. I'm very happy to bought it. I also make some advertize towards friends, but it is difficult to change their mind blinding by photoshop. But this is another topic ;)

Here are my request or questions :
-While making a document with several page it would be interesting to view it with two pages at the same times
-On my iMac G5 20" , when a drawing is coloured ( a layer with the ink, another with the colour ) and when it is displayed at 50, 25, 100%, mostly some white oulined lines appears. Just like the form are not filled completly. In fact they are. If i dysplay the drawing to 200% i can see that is it perfectly colored.
-when making action script, the software do nothing when i change from a layer to another.
-When i open a .psd file, the text are changed in image format ( pixellised format ). It would be great to keep the text layer as text or vector.
-It would be possible to import pdf file and to have the text entry into less layer text ? I mean without each letter on one layer. It made some huge document and it is more longer to edit it.
-Maybe you should think of a paypal way for purchasing the upgrade. i think It is more secured.

Well that's all what i noticed for my own use ;)
I hope you will think about it.
You are making a great job thank you very much. Keep going on like that.

Pékélé
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Some little things to request

Hi Pékélé,

nice to here from you
Pékélé hat geschrieben:While making a document with several page it would be interesting to view it with two pages at the same times
This will be a feature for one of the next versions of PL32.
Pékélé hat geschrieben:On my iMac G5 20" , when a drawing is coloured ( a layer with the ink, another with the colour ) and when it is displayed at 50, 25, 100%, mostly some white oulined lines appears. Just like the form are not filled completly. In fact they are. If i dysplay the drawing to 200% i can see that is it perfectly colored.
Try to don't use hairlines around vector graphics. Hair lines are lines with 0 pixel width.
Pékélé hat geschrieben:when making action script, the software do nothing when i change from a layer to another.
Try to use "Layer/Management/Activate Next Layer" to change the active layer. This function can be recorded.
Pékélé hat geschrieben:When i open a .psd file, the text are changed in image format ( pixellised format ). It would be great to keep the text layer as text or vector.
Text layers are very "complex" things in PSD files. That's the reason why we don't import them at the moment. Perhaps we should think about spending the effort to read them as text layers.
Pékélé hat geschrieben:It would be possible to import pdf file and to have the text entry into less layer text ? I mean without each letter on one layer. It made some huge document and it is more longer to edit it.
Some PDF-Writers store every letter as a single letter with it's own position. So it is very difficult to get them in one text layer. You can try to select all text layers and use "Tool/Text/Merge marked Text layers" to get one layer. But this will destroy the format of your text. A better way would be to use a better PDF write software :-)
Pékélé hat geschrieben:Maybe you should think of a paypal way for purchasing the upgrade. i think It is more secured.
We didn't have any problems with credit cards in the past. In the European Union (EU) bank transfer is also an easy way to pay for the registration. I am not shure if we should add paypal.

Gerhard
Pékélé
Mitglied
Beitrag von Pékélé »

Hi Pékélé,

nice to here from you
you too Gerhard :)
try to don't use hairlines around vector graphics. Hair lines are lines with 0 pixel width.
ok thanks, i will pay attention in future drawings.
Try to use "Layer/Management/Activate Next Layer" to change the active layer. This function can be recorded
you are right, i should have searched more about it. It works well thank you.
Text layers are very "complex" things in PSD files. That's the reason why we don't import them at the moment. Perhaps we should think about spending the effort to read them as text layers.
Or maybe change the imported bitmap text in vector layer. This is a wish less important for me since i gave up photoshop from ages. But if i need to load some old work, it would be nice.
some PDF-Writers store every letter as a single letter with it's own position. So it is very difficult to get them in one text layer. You can try to select all text layers and use "Tool/Text/Merge marked Text layers" to get one layer. But this will destroy the format of your text. A better way would be to use a better PDF write software
i did not know about this single letter storage. I tried the merge layer text command and it worked well for what i need.
We didn't have any problems with credit cards in the past. In the European Union (EU) bank transfer is also an easy way to pay for the registration. I am not shure if we should add paypal.
My request was because it seems to me that the CB code was sending to a person in your company. But i must be wrong. I bought pl32 and an update without any problems but i was wondering if this support was secure enough.
Thanks for all the reply and i will post again if i think about cool request :)

keep going on like that. PL32 is really a great software.
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Spell-checking?

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

First off, let me congratulate you on your amazing programming. To be able to put as many features as you have in such a small package is phenomenal. It seems programmers get paid for bloat these days rather than trying for speed, eloquence, and efficiency. You should get an international programming award for what you've managed to accomplish.

I've only been using a demo version so far, but am thoroughly impressed. I was a long-time Paint Shop Pro user, but it appears that Corel has decided to dumb-down Paint Shop Pro in their last 2 releases. Your program goes above and beyond what their latest version does. You will probably be seeing an influx of people looking for a new program to replace PSP.

Having said all that, your text overlay editor is great, but is there any way you can implement some spell-checking feature into it? That's about the only thing I see as lacking so far. There's an open-source spell-check routine called "ASpell" that is used in my Opera browser, is there any easy way to piggy-back that into PL32?

I also miss a very few features that I had in PSP, like converting text to vector graphics. It made it easy to resize and reshape the text, as well as breaking up the letters into individual vector shapes. Or maybe that option is already in the program, there's so much to explore yet, I may not have found it.

Again, THANK YOU for producing such a wonderful program.

As the weeks go on, I'll see if there's more things I miss from my PSP days and see if you can do something similar, but so far I've found very few things that your program is lacking. I'm simply amazed that you can do all that in a 7meg download package. It's just phenomenal!

Oh, one other small suggestion. I know that "rubber" is commonly used in European countries to describe a small chunk of rubber used to delete writing, but in the USA ... "rubber" automatically means condom to everyone. :-) It's a little awkward telling someone to select the "condom" (rubber) to do something in PhotoLine. In the USA, people use an eraser to rub-out text or drawings. (to erase something)

You might want to change that little oddity for the english text in your program and help files. Just a suggestion. It might make it easier for some sex-starved prudes and right-wingers to use your program if they weren't continually reminded of condoms in everything they see and do.

:-)
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Spell-checking?

Koyaanis hat geschrieben:Having said all that, your text overlay editor is great, but is there any way you can implement some spell-checking feature into it? That's about the only thing I see as lacking so far. There's an open-source spell-check routine called "ASpell" that is used in my Opera browser, is there any easy way to piggy-back that into PL32?
We will have an Aspell interface in version 13 of PL32 that will be available soon.
Koyaanis hat geschrieben:I also miss a very few features that I had in PSP, like converting text to vector graphics. It made it easy to resize and reshape the text, as well as breaking up the letters into individual vector shapes. Or maybe that option is already in the program, there's so much to explore yet, I may not have found it.
Use the "Convert Layer" function for those things. You can convert layers in many directions. Text to Layer if one of the simpliest :-)
It is even possible to convert a raster graphic to vector graphic.
Koyaanis hat geschrieben:Oh, one other small suggestion. I know that "rubber" is commonly used in European countries to describe a small chunk of rubber used to delete writing, but in the USA ... "rubber" automatically means condom to everyone. :-) It's a little awkward telling someone to select the "condom" (rubber) to do something in PhotoLine. In the USA, people use an eraser to rub-out text or drawings. (to erase something)
I will change this in version 13.

Gerhard
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Re: Spell-checking?

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:We will have an Aspell interface in version 13 of PL32 that will be available soon.
NICE! Looking forward to see what amazing things you'll be doing next. I just wish I had found your program sooner!
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:Use the "Convert Layer" function for those things. You can convert layers in many directions. Text to Layer if one of the simpliest :-)
It is even possible to convert a raster graphic to vector graphic.
Yes, I found that last night when playing with it. It was simple to convert text to vectors. And then I converted a high-resolution photo to vector graphics. Again, I was astounded by all that your program can do. And I found the customizable export to web graphics. I thought I was missing out by not having a jpg/png/gif optimizer anymore (after leaving PSP), and here I find one that's even better in your program. With quick side-by-side comparisons of different filetypes and even being able to save favorite optimization presets. I love it.

(About the only other thing I'd like to see, is resizable windows for most of the tools and previews (so I could see more of the image enlarged), but I suppose that would take much more resources.)
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:
Koyaanis hat geschrieben:In the USA, people use an eraser to rub-out text or drawings. (to erase something)
I will change this in version 13.

Gerhard
:-) I'm sure that will ease the minds of many who giggled when they saw the use of that word in their graphics editor. :-)
DJJohnson
Mitglied

Beitrag von DJJohnson »

I too have been looking for better software after what Corel has done to Paint Shop Pro. I have been following some discussions about PhotoLine-32 on their own news-group server. Someone posted a long reply about what they found good in Paint Shop Pro and lacking in PhotoLine-32. It's a wordy reply but I'm going to quote it in full so you can see why some of these things might be desired. I hope you can use this list for future improvements to your already wonderful program. Any mention of that "other" program refers to PhotoLine-32. Corel is sensoring people from mentioning the "PhotoLine-32" name (and variations of it) on their news-group server.

Begin Quote

TryinToHelp wrote:

Listing the virtues of the "other" program that PSP lacks would take a long list. But what might be lacking, what I miss from PSP are:

A "scratch remover" brush, I found that handy at rare times to remove a power-line from a photo where doing the same with a clone-tool would have been just as easy, just not as much fun in testing out the new toys. But it was faster on straight-lines and other symmetric defects.

The "manual color-correction" palette. Sometimes that worked better than white-balance controls on unique lighting situations. But I have since found a plugin (ColorWasher) that does the same but much more eloquently with more controls over shadows and highlights (and tons of other options that it offers). So that is not really missed, but it was handy to use when trying out various options to see what would work best. (PSP's new "Smart Photo Fix" is a bit of a joke compared to what ColorWasher plugin can do.)

Wow ... I'm racking my brain here trying to think of a few others ... let me think ...

Others have found an easy red-eye remover lacking. I have no use for one and it can be easily duplicated by usual methods.

Ah, I know of one good one I miss. (I hope they put it in the next release of that "other" program, I might request it just to be sure). The brush adjustment dialogue *really* needs to be on its own palette and dock-able, always at the ready. PSP's original implementation of brush adjustment should still be admired. Others have mentioned (in their forums) that this is lacking so I suspect they'll do a rework of that in the next release.

Another one that I would like to see it have, the Chromatic Aberration filter in PSP9 was great. It has its drawbacks in that it will do little to nothing to properly recover a photo from lateral-CA, but for normal digital-cam "sensor-bloom" it worked better than any other program or plugin I have tried. (Now that I remember this, I might just keep a copy of PSP9 around for the times I might need this, sacrificing 16-bit, it'll be a juggling act for that.) Btw: the "other" program has a CA filter for lateral-CA in it which works very well. That's something I wish PSP would have always added. I always had to depend on 3rd party plugins (PTLens doing it best so far). Macro/micro-photography is strife with lateral-CA problems at times. When you correct for lateral-CA you can increase the focus of an image at least 3-fold beyond what the physics of optics can accomplish. PSP was and always has been incapable of ameliorating that common optics defect.

The DCNR filter in PSP9 is very well done (better than in the "other program"), but as we all know, there are 3rd-party plugins and stand-alones that do it better today. (Without having to dumb-down your photos to 8-bit too.) I have 3 that I like using, depending which is handiest or installed at the time, so no sense going on about those.

Sorry, can't think of any more.

Do note that I've only been playing with the new and improved "other program" for a short while. For all I know, what I find missing just might be my inability to find comparable tools in it so far. Trying to figure out what a German to English translation might be for a specific tool's function and ... you just have to play with them all and see what they are for. So many options and capabilities are hidden behind right-clicks or just 1-click further away. There's also no telling what the new version will have. I'm looking forward to it, whatever they do.

End Quote
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

@DJJohnson: I will write the answers for you, not for "TryingToHelp", it's easier for me. Sorry for my German (Bavarian) English :-)
DJJohnson hat geschrieben:A "scratch remover" brush, I found that handy at rare times to remove a power-line from a photo where doing the same with a clone-tool would have been just as easy, just not as much fun in testing out the new toys. But it was faster on straight-lines and other symmetric defects.
Did you test the new "Healing Brush" in version 13 of PL32?
DJJohnson hat geschrieben:The "manual color-correction" palette. Sometimes that worked better than white-balance controls on unique lighting situations. But I have since found a plugin (ColorWasher) that does the same but much more eloquently with more controls over shadows and highlights (and tons of other options that it offers). So that is not really missed, but it was handy to use when trying out various options to see what would work best. (PSP's new "Smart Photo Fix" is a bit of a joke compared to what ColorWasher plugin can do.)
Sorry, but I don't know how ColorWasher works, but there are many color correction functions in PL32, like WhitePoint, ColorTemperature, Clut, ...
If you could give me an example that shows me what to have additionally, I will see how to solve the problem.
DJJohnson hat geschrieben:Ah, I know of one good one I miss. (I hope they put it in the next release of that "other" program, I might request it just to be sure). The brush adjustment dialogue *really* needs to be on its own palette and dock-able, always at the ready. PSP's original implementation of brush adjustment should still be admired. Others have mentioned (in their forums) that this is lacking so I suspect they'll do a rework of that in the next release.
We have a brush list dockable. But normally I only use round brushes and resize them by pressing the arrow keys on the keyboard.
DJJohnson hat geschrieben:Another one that I would like to see it have, the Chromatic Aberration filter in PSP9 was great.
There is such a filter in PL32. If it doesn't work good, please send me an example image.
DJJohnson hat geschrieben:The DCNR filter in PSP9 is very well done (better than in the "other program"), but as we all know, there are 3rd-party plugins and stand-alones that do it better today. (Without having to dumb-down your photos to 8-bit too.) I have 3 that I like using, depending which is handiest or installed at the time, so no sense going on about those.
If it means "Noise Reduction", we improved this filter in Version 13. Please test it again.

Gerhard
DJJohnson
Mitglied

Beitrag von DJJohnson »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:@DJJohnson: I will write the answers for you, not for "TryingToHelp", it's easier for me. Sorry for my German (Bavarian) English :-)
No problem, I just wish I could type in German so I could explain things clearer. I'll try to explain clearly, if possible.
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:Did you test the new "Healing Brush" in version 13 of PL32?
NO! :-) I didn't even know v13 was out yet, I followed a link right to the forum frame. NICE!! I'll have to get it and see! Thanks!! :-)
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Sorry, but I don't know how ColorWasher works, but there are many color correction functions in PL32, like WhitePoint, ColorTemperature, Clut, ...
If you could give me an example that shows me what to have additionally, I will see how to solve the problem.
ColorWasher is a 3rd-party Plugin, from the people at http://thepluginsite.com ColorWasher, and Paint Shop Pro's "Manual Color Correction" have one thing that's similar. You select an area of your photograph that you want to be a certain shade or color, and then select the color that you want that first color to be. It shifts the hue and white-balance of a photo so that you can get a better white-balance. Some examples might be: you can scan an old yellowed newspaper printing, select part of the yellowed paper, then select a white or gray color to make that paper white again. Or, if a person's skin is too pink, and you want them more tan, you can select (sample) a patch of their skin and then select a "tan skin" color from a color palette. (If you had a copy of Paint Shop Pro to play with, this filter's function would become clear to you.) It's similar to how a normal white-point or color-temperature works, but it takes a larger sample area and tries to match a new color to that whole area, not just a single color sample.

If my explanation is still confusing, I could try to explain again. It's a handy method to shift the colors of a wider range of hues in a photograph without disrupting too much of the other colors.
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:We have a brush list dockable. But normally I only use round brushes and resize them by pressing the arrow keys on the keyboard.
I didn't know you could use the arrow keys to change the brush size, NICE! I'll have to try that. What I really liked about Paint Shop Pro's brush change panel, was that you could use slider adjustments or spinner adjustments (up/down arrows like you have on many tools in PL32) but it was always visible, just as if you had your brush adjustment panel as a dockable window. Another nice feature is if you clicked on the number input box for size of brush, you could then just use your mouse-wheel to enlarge or shrink the brush. That was very handy. Then you could adjust the brush size while you were on top of the image. (Like you do with the arrow keys.)
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:re: Chromatic Aberration Filter -- There is such a filter in PL32. If it doesn't work good, please send me an example image.
Yes, it works very nice. This is something that Paint Shop Pro should have always had, but didn't. The one in Paint Shop Pro worked differently though. If your photo had "sensor bloom", where high-contrast edges in digital photography had strong halos of magenta or purple, this filter in Paint Shop Pro would fix those. You would select JUST the halo colors with little selection boxes, and then set the filter for how many pixels wide that halo was in your image. It could remove magenta, green, puple, red, etc. halos all at once through the whole image.

Your CA Filter is wonderful for "Lateral Chromatic Aberration", but this filter worked on (I think they call it) "Radial Chromatic Aberration". It didn't seem to only desaturate those halos (the normal way it it fixed), it seemed to also pull in the colors alongside those halos to fill up the gap where the wrong-color halo used to be, replacing the halo color completely. It's a pretty unique filter, but worked excellent on photos from digital cameras that had a lot of "sensor bloom". Most other editors call this "color fringing" I think.
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:If it means "Noise Reduction", we improved this filter in Version 13. Please test it again.
Yes, the DCNR stood for "Digital Camera Noise Reduction". I'm looking forward to see what you have changed!! :-) I'm going to go download it RIGHT NOW!!

Thanks!
DJJohnson
Mitglied

Beitrag von DJJohnson »

I think I found an improvement I'd like to see. :-)

In your Chromatic Aberration Filter: The sliders don't allow for enough adjustment the first time. Some macro-photography that I've taken with simple close-up filters introduce a lot of CA at the corners and edges. Sometimes I have to apply your CA Filter at the strongest settings to the photo 2 to 4 times before I can adjust the color layers where they should be.

I like how accurate it is to fine-tune the layers with such fine adjustment, and to increase the range would defeat this. But maybe you could have 1 or 2 check-boxes where it could have 1X, 2X, 3X adjustment level? This way I could get it to make the color layers match up more closely in only 1 or 2 passes instead of 3 or 4? Or maybe 2 sliders, one for "coarse" and one for "fine" adjustments for each color layer? Maybe it could be done with a SHIFT, CTRL, or ALT key-press instead, on just one slider? (Maybe it does this already and I missed finding it? :-) )
Antworten