Layer Select Paths/Vectors - Workflow Issues

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
kevjon
Mitglied

Layer Select Paths/Vectors - Workflow Issues

Beitrag von kevjon »

I'm finding that when trying to layer select paths so you can move them around it is all too easy to accidently move layers around instead. So you have to go through and "lock selecting document" on each layer to prevent this. Its kind of painful process when working with many layers and layers in groups.

I assume this is the reason Photoshop & Gimp probably separated layers from paths with separate tabs.

I'm thinking that vectors in PL should probably have their own layer manipulation tool.
Anybody else have any thoughts on this ? Agree/Disagree ?
Zuletzt geändert von kevjon am Di 29 Sep 2015 10:51, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: Layer Select Paths/Vectors - Workflow Issues

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I think a simple solution would be to have (1) path high-lighting when hovering over a vector layer, and/or 2) a path selection mode for the current layer tool.

By the way, Photoshop's rigid separation between vector shapes and bitmap layers drives me insane: why have two separate colour selection systems, for example? In Photoline this is nicely consolidated into one colour selection option.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: I think a simple solution would be to have (1) path high-lighting when hovering over a vector layer
If you mean for the Edit Vector Points tool, I don't think that would be harmful, but won't really add anything useful, either. I know other apps like Illustrator do path highlighting, but that simply gives a visual confirmation for what one should already know.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:2) a path selection mode for the current layer tool.
I disagree. It's a good idea to keep the distinction between the Layer tool and the Edit Vector Points tool, IMO, and by holding down the Alt key when using the EVP tool entire subpaths can be selected.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
kevjon
Mitglied

Beitrag von kevjon »

Not sure if you guys know exactly what I mean.

On the drawing I am working on below, I have hundreds of vector layers put into layer groups.

I also have quite a few normal raster layers also organised into groups.

The problem I am encountering in PL is that when trying to select any one of those individual vector layers with the layer tool (so I can manipulate or edit it) it nearly always selects a raster layer instead and I end up inadvertently moving the raster layer.

The only way I can solve this problem is to "lock selected" on each of my raster layers prior to working with vectors which is quite a time consuming process to go through just to manipulate a single vector.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
laienspieler
Mitglied

Beitrag von laienspieler »

And how about a 'filter by layer type' option?
kevjon
Mitglied

Beitrag von kevjon »

laienspieler hat geschrieben:And how about a 'filter by layer type' option?
I'm not sure what you mean. How would that work ?
laienspieler
Mitglied

Beitrag von laienspieler »

kevjon hat geschrieben:
I'm not sure what you mean. How would that work ?
It would hide all layers except the selected type(s), eg. vector, bitmap, text...
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

YES. I second that request (one which I have suggested before to the devs as well) - with hundreds of layers of different types, the only sane way of dealing with that many layers is a filter function in the layer panel. Other image editors and design applications have already implemented such a search/filter option in their layer panels (Photoshop, for example).

It should allow for filter by type, and a search box.

I also work with documents which consist of hundreds of layers at a time - a way to filter masks, bitmap layers, text layers, vector layers, etc. would be awesome. And combine this with a search box that allows for wildcards.
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Other image editors and design applications have already implemented such a search/filter option in their layer panels
do you have a screenshot, that shows the way it works?
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Photoshop has the best implementation:
layer1.png
At any time the filter can be toggled on and off. When a category in the dropdown is selected, the options on the right change:
l2.png
Or search by name:
l3.png
  • You can hit Cmd-Opt-Shift-F to put focus on the Layers panel’s new search field. Start typing and Photoshop will start displaying only the layers whose names match.
  • Hitting the same command highlights the text in the field, letting you start typing again to filter with a new string.
  • Hitting Delete clears the field, making Layers display all layers again.
  • Hitting Return/Enter will put keyboard focus back onto PS proper (consistent with how other text fields work in the app). Esc does the same but also cancels whatever change you just made.
The user can filter:
  • by type (bitmap, adjustment layer, text, shape (vector), smart objects).
  • by name (search field, simple shortcut to quickly search layers by name, see above)
  • by layer effect (drop down list with layer effect names)
  • by layer blend mode (drop down list with layer blend modes)
  • by various layer attributes (see screenshot above)
  • by layer color (providing a drop down list with the layer label colours in use)
  • by smart object (quick filter icons for missing links, embedded, local ones, etc.)
  • by selected (no options, see post below with screenshot)
All in all, really convenient, and indispensable when working with complex files.

If you would implement a similar (or even an improved) version, I think many users here would be very, very thankful. I know I would be!
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

By selected will keep track of a list of layers the user selected since the filter was activated by the user. Really very handy too, because often you work with a limited subset of items. Having those readily available in the layer panel speeds up the workflow.
l4.png
The button on the far right will turn toggle the filter on and off, btw.

This layer filter function has been part of Photoshop since version CS6.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

By the way, one simple way to improve upon Photoshop's version: currently it is not possible to combine these filters. So, let's say I first wish to filter by layer name. And then it comes up with forty hits, and I wish to then apply a second filter.

That will not work in Photoshop. Filter types cannot be combined.

The second issue is that sometimes a very specific filter can take time to setup - a preset option to quickly switch to an often-used filter would then be handy. Also not possible in Photoshop.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

kevjon hat geschrieben:On the drawing I am working on below, I have hundreds of vector layers put into layer groups.

I also have quite a few normal raster layers also organised into groups.

The problem I am encountering in PL is that when trying to select any one of those individual vector layers with the layer tool (so I can manipulate or edit it) it nearly always selects a raster layer instead and I end up inadvertently moving the raster layer.
I still have problems fully understanding this situation. You want to move a vector layer by click&drag, but the click selects the wrong layer?

Basically PhotoLine should always (at least most of the time) select the layer at the mouse location by clicking. But your vector graphics seems to have a lot of thin lines, so maybe the hit tolerance is just too small?

Martin
kevjon
Mitglied

Beitrag von kevjon »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: I still have problems fully understanding this situation. You want to move a vector layer by click&drag, but the click selects the wrong layer?

When I was creating hundreds of vector layers for the panel and rivet lines of my 3d aircraft textures, it would normally always select the raster layers instead of the vector layers and I would accidentally end up moving the raster layer. I solved the issue by locking all the raster layers.

Now that work is completed selection of vectors seems to be working fine. I don't know what caused the issue but if I can repeat it on future textures I will let you know. I could be something simple like having to restart PL after created several hundred vectors.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Basically PhotoLine should always (at least most of the time) select the layer at the mouse location by clicking. But your vector graphics seems to have a lot of thin lines, so maybe the hit tolerance is just too small?

Maybe, is there a place where you can change the hit tolerance ?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

kevjon hat geschrieben:
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Basically PhotoLine should always (at least most of the time) select the layer at the mouse location by clicking. But your vector graphics seems to have a lot of thin lines, so maybe the hit tolerance is just too small?

Maybe, is there a place where you can change the hit tolerance ?
No, currently not. I just wanted to know whether we might need one or if we perhaps should increase it.

Martin