auto-align?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
massmanute
Mitglied

auto-align?

Beitrag von massmanute »

Is there a way to auto-align images in PhotoLine? Photoshop has that function.

My ultimate goal is to scan several images on film with a very slight random difference in registration and combine them in a way to increase the resolution.

In more detail, scan several images, interpolate to a higher bit density, auto-align, average, and sharpen.

A similar work flow on images from a digital camera can increase resolution of the combined picture and decrease noise.

Thanks.
massmanute
Mitglied

Re: auto-align?

Beitrag von massmanute »

Anyone want to answer?
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Sorry, but I don't understand, what you want.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

No, there is no such auto-align of layers.You have to move, rotate and skew a layer until it matches the background.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
massmanute
Mitglied

Beitrag von massmanute »

Hoogo, thanks. I think that answers my question.

Gerhard, Imagine I have taken two photos of the same scene, and I want to combine them in some fashion. (For the purposes of this discussion it is not too important to know the purpose of combining the images, but it could be to form a panorama, or to form a high dynamic range image, or to do noise reduction via median stacking, etc.) To combine the images it is necessary to get one image aligned with the other, so the images are in perfect registration with respect to each other. (There could be more than two images to align, but it's easier to talk about it if there are only two images.)

As Hoogo mentioned, you can do this manually. However, photoshop has a feature to do this automatically. Hugin also allows you to do this using the align_image_stack command-line tool. It would be nice if PL32 also had this option.
massmanute
Mitglied

Beitrag von massmanute »

Any additional thoughts on this. I am really interested auto-align capability, with a special interest aligning images in preparation to do median stacking in order to reduce noise in several independent images of the same scene.

I mentioned several other programs that. Supposedly GIMP can do this as well using the G'MIC plugin, but I would rather do it with photoline so as to limit the number of programs I use when working on an image.

Here are some links to web pages that discuss median stacking, and they also include discussions of the need to align images, along with software approaches to doing all of this.

http://pat-david.blogspot.com/2013/05/n ... ian_6.html

https://blog.keepcoding.ch/?p=2324

https://petapixel.com/2013/05/29/a-look ... -blending/