A bug in v.20?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
greenmorpher
Mitglied

A bug in v.20?

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

I use PL on an MBP running OS X.6.8, and store my photos in iPhoto 09 (8.1.2).

I have numerous iPhoto libraries managed by iPhoto Library Manager.

I have had to re-identify my external editor in the iPhoto preferences for a couple of my libraries, but now PL v.20 is failing to open pictures from the libraries. I right-click on a photo in iPhoto, go to the External Editor choice in the contextual menu, that launches PL but it does not open the picture! The same thing happens if I drag a photo from iPhoto on to the PL icon. PL launches -- but does not show the picture!

Never any trouble of this nature before with PL -- it always played perfecty with iPhoto.

Naturally this is happening because I have a big job on and took around 1000 photos yesterday and now need to get editing a selection of them in a hurry! Sigh!

Looks as though I will have to reinstall v.19.

Cheers, Geoff
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Re: A bug in v.20?

On refection, I'm not sure it worked st all. That might have been v.19 launching and opening up the photo before I remember to uninstall it.

Cheers, Geoff
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Two things you might check:

1) do those images open in PL when you drag them out of a Finder window?

2) Do you get any system error messages in the Console app (Utilities folder, open the app, then try to open a photo and look if anything appears at the bottom of the main window).

3) Maybe you can open your pictures via "Open" in the PL menu? There's a "Media" entry on the lhs which lets you access files in the iPhoto library. (But I'm not sure if this exists back in OS X 10.6.8, and if it works with multiple libraries.)

Cheers

Burkhard.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Thanks for the thoughts, Burkhard. I've reinstalled v.19.51 and it is doing the job perfectly. So it must be v.20 bug.

Cheers, Geoff
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:Thanks for the thoughts, Burkhard.
You didn't answer Burkard's quite interesting questions:
bkh hat geschrieben:1) do those images open in PL when you drag them out of a Finder window?

2) Do you get any system error messages in the Console app (Utilities folder, open the app, then try to open a photo and look if anything appears at the bottom of the main window).
greenmorpher hat geschrieben:I've reinstalled v.19.51 and it is doing the job perfectly. So it must be v.20 bug.
I only have an older version of iPhoto (6.06), but with that it works fine (of course tested on 10.6.8).

Martin
greenmorpher
Mitglied

bkh hat geschrieben:Two things you might check:

1) do those images open in PL when you drag them out of a Finder window?

3) Maybe you can open your pictures via "Open" in the PL menu? There's a "Media" entry on the lhs which lets you access files in the iPhoto library. (But I'm not sure if this exists back in OS X 10.6.8, and if it works with multiple libraries.)

Cheers

Burkhard.
Okay, Martin, I can look at this now, since I have been able to get some preliminary editing done in v.19.51 and I have had a bit of sleep (but not quite enough yet ;)).

1. No, dragging these pix from the finder elicits the behavior is the same as dragging from the iPhoto window -- iPhoto c.20 launches but does not open the photo. Weird stuff!

2. No system error messages when trying to open via the context menu, when dragged from the iPhoto window, or when dragged from the finder. When I quit either v.20 or v.19.51, I get a message in Console like this:

4/12/16 5:01:35 AM SophosUIServer[844] SophosUIServer unloaded

(I am adding this to show you I have actually opened the window and am seeing something happening.)

3. lhs? Can’t see any "Media" entry.

BUT -- if I open a picture in PL v.19.51 then save it back to iPhoto, I can successfully launch PL v.20 and open the picture by either using the context menu in iPhoto (after making v.20 the external editor in the Preferences) or by dragging the picture from iPhoto to the PL v.20 icon. Same is true for a picture in the Finder.

Now enough of this messing around at this ridiculously early hour. Back to bed for a bit more sleep! :)

Cheers, Geoff
greenmorpher
Mitglied

FURTHER to the above.

I just used v.20 to batch convert bunch of pictures dragged from iPhoto to a folder on the desktop. v.20 converted them without any problems.

Cheers, Geoff
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:I just used v.20 to batch convert bunch of pictures dragged from iPhoto to a folder on the desktop. v.20 converted them without any problems.
The problem is not that PhotoLine cannot open the files, but that macOS doesn't tell PhotoLine to open them.

It is only surprising that it works fine here and doesn't work on your side. I did nothing special. I downloaded PhotoLine from our website, unzipped it and copied it to its current location (not "/Applications" in my case). Then I started it and opened a few files. After that I removed the old PhotoLine from the dock and inserted the new one. Then I turned the computer off.

Did you restart your computer after installing PhotoLine and running it at least once? Do you have PhotoLine in your dock? Do you have other PhotoLines in your dock?

Martin
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:1. No, dragging these pix from the finder elicits the behavior is the same as dragging from the iPhoto window -- iPhoto c.20 launches but does not open the photo. Weird stuff!
What file types do you try to open? You could also right-click (or ctrl-click) one of the files and check what applications are listed under "Open with …". I recall seing old versions of PL appear in this list (and in this case, the only way I found to resolve this was to reset the launch database) – probably I managed to confuse the system by installing/uninstalling/using too many different versions of PL at the same time.

Btw., what happens if you drag the file onto the PL app (in a Finder window) instead of the PL icon in the dock?
greenmorpher hat geschrieben:
Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
greenmorpher hat geschrieben:I just used v.20 to batch convert bunch of pictures dragged from iPhoto to a folder on the desktop. v.20 converted them without any problems.
The problem is not that PhotoLine cannot open the files, but that macOS doesn't tell PhotoLine to open them.
It's strange, however, that PL is launched when a file is dragged to its icon.

Cheers

Burkhard.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

bkh hat geschrieben:
greenmorpher hat geschrieben:1. No, dragging these pix from the finder elicits the behavior is the same as dragging from the iPhoto window -- iPhoto c.20 launches but does not open the photo. Weird stuff!
What file types do you try to open? You could also right-click (or ctrl-click) one of the files and check what applications are listed under "Open with …". I recall seing old versions of PL appear in this list (and in this case, the only way I found to resolve this was to reset the launch database) – probably I managed to confuse the system by installing/uninstalling/using too many different versions of PL at the same time.
Files are exclusively JPEG.

No version numbers are shown n the "Open With" menu, but right now, I have only one version of PL -- v.20 -- installed since I have uninstalled PL 19.51.
bkh hat geschrieben:Btw., what happens if you drag the file onto the PL app (in a Finder window) instead of the PL icon in the dock?
Same as if I drag to the icon in the dock.
bkh hat geschrieben:
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: The problem is not that PhotoLine cannot open the files, but that macOS doesn't tell PhotoLine to open them.
What is stranger is that PL 20 is launched with the Lists window showing the empty Patterns list. I have never used the Lists that I can remember -- or t least, never used the Lists window. I have closed the list window, quit PL 20, then launched PL 20 and it launches without the List window showing. When it launches from a photo previously edited in PL, the List window does not open.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

bkh hat geschrieben:
Files are exclusively JPEG.

No version numbers are shown n the "Open With" menu, but right now, I have only one version of PL -- v.20 -- installed since I have uninstalled PL 19.51.

I have rebuilt Launch Services in the database section of Cocktail, including reverting to default.
bkh hat geschrieben:Btw., what happens if you drag the file onto the PL app (in a Finder window) instead of the PL icon in the dock?
Same as if I drag to the icon in the dock -- PL 20 launches with he Lists window showing the empty Patterns list.
bkh hat geschrieben:
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: The problem is not that PhotoLine cannot open the files, but that macOS doesn't tell PhotoLine to open them.
What is stranger is that PL 20 is launched with the Lists window showing the empty Patterns list. I have never used the Lists that I can remember -- or at least, never used the Lists window. I have closed the list window, quit PL 20, then launched PL 20 and it launches without the List window showing. When it launches from a photo previously edited in PL, the List window does not open.

Cheers, Geoff
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:What is stranger is that PL 20 is launched with the Lists window showing the empty Patterns list. I have never used the Lists that I can remember -- or t least, never used the Lists window.
Well, that is interesting. I remember a bug in one of our test versions, that had the same effect. You are sure that you are starting the official version 20? Can you send us one of those JPEGs to support@pl32.com?

Martin
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Follow up: The problem is reproducible. We don't need a sample file.

Martin
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Hello Martin

Any chance of the bug being fixed before 2017? it is not acual crucial to my life, but it means I can fully move to v.20 instead of oscillating between v.20 and v.19.51 which I have to use for auto-opening of pix from iPhoto. :)

Cheers, Geoff
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:Any chance of the bug being fixed before 2017? it is not acual crucial to my life, but it means I can fully move to v.20 instead of oscillating between v.20 and v.19.51 which I have to use for auto-opening of pix from iPhoto. :)
This should work in version 20.01 (available for about one week now). Doesn't it work for you? If so, please send as a sample file to reproduce the problem.

Martin