Yet another simple question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Yet another simple question

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I want to crop an image and retain the original proportions. My poor brain is stalling out trying to figure out how to achieve this simple task in PL. (PSP has a 'retain original proportions' option).

Help!!!!!!

(I have an excuse. I've just come off 14 weeks of chemo and the cogs in my brain are yet to mesh correctly. Heh heh heh. I keep falling asleep!!!! I'm struggling to catch up with a large consignments. So I'm looking for help rather than spend time figuring it out myself).

regards
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Yet another simple question

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben:I want to crop an image and retain the original proportions. My poor brain is stalling out trying to figure out how to achieve this simple task in PL.
If the Crop tool is the active tool, just use the command "Edit > Select All". This will "select" the whole document and add its proportions in the tool settings. Now you can adjust the position and size of the cropping rectangle proportionally.

If you no longer want to resize the cropping rectangle proportionally, either clear the proportions in the tool settings or - more easily - just hold the Shift key while resizing. Shift is the general constrain key in PhotoLine and is used for scaling/resizing (un)proportionally, rotating in 45° steps, ....

Martin
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Brilliant. Thanks Martin.

I knew there had to be a way.

regards
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Martin

I am a bit confused here. When I tried this, I didn't get a proportion, I got a crop that became the same <I>size</i> as the original.

When I crop, I am mostly looking for a smaller pictures for a variety of reasons, not least IQ.

What about giving us proportions, e.g. 4:3, 3:2, 15:9, 1:1.

And have the crop tool and the selection tool operate in essentially the same way kin stting boundaries?

Cheers, Geoff
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:I am a bit confused here. When I tried this, I didn't get a proportion, I got a crop that became the same <I>size</i> as the original.
Yes, but if you resize the crop using the corner handles, it will retain the proportions (unless you press "Shift")
greenmorpher hat geschrieben: What about giving us proportions, e.g. 4:3, 3:2, 15:9, 1:1.
Sometimes, one needs proportions only, sometimes one has to crop/rescale to a given size. It's difficult to build a GUI that works in both cases (I remember that this was widely discussed when the crop tool was introduced). At the moment, if I need 4:3 (say). I enter 4000 x 3000 and resize proportionally. It would be nice to have presets, though.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

you do have presets with the little arrow.
cropPresets.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I need the 'retain proportion' option for a client who sells a lot of my mounted prints. Every one needs to fit a set matboard with set proportions. As long as I start out with the correct proportions I know that any cropping, using 'retain proportions' will fit those matboards.

regards