Tutorial: An Introduction to Photo Editing with PhotoLine

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Re: Tutorial: An Introduction to Photo Editing with PhotoLine

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

One more comment.

I just picked up from where I left off in the tutorial and, again, right-clicked the thumbnail.

It was immediately apparent that you meant to right-click the mask thumbnail and not the image thumbnail and, doing that, the correct context menu showed up. I apparently right-clicked the wrong thumbnail and that was my mistake. I apologize for the inconvenience - you were referring to the mask thumbnail throughout, but it might help if you mention that clicking the wrong thumbnail will generate the wrong context menu.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mo 18 Sep 2017 15:01(...)
1) Toolbox page

The Brush Editor dialog box is somewhat different in the tutorial than in the tool itself. (...)

2) L Curves page

(...)

The Curves dialog boxes are different. The tools entry shown in the tutorial does not seem to exist in my copy.
There are the same controls in these dialogs, but there are minor layout differences between the macOS and the Windows version.

Martin
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

> There are the same controls in these dialogs, but there are minor layout differences between the macOS and the Windows version.

Yes. I tried to say that. However there are no tools, as shown, on the Curves dialog box.

The page on raw processing includes the following statement:

Ideally, you should use an ICC profile specific to your camera, specified via Edit – Options – Color Management – Devices.

I can not find such an entry. I can, of course, use the Preferences to assign the color profile, but I assume you are talking about the top line commands and I can not find Edit -> Options.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mo 18 Sep 2017 16:47(...) However there are no tools, as shown, on the Curves dialog box.
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I don't see missing tools. The tools or on both OSses at the left side of the curve, on Windows in 2 rows in a box, on macOs as a single row.
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mo 18 Sep 2017 16:47The page on raw processing includes the following statement:

Ideally, you should use an ICC profile specific to your camera, specified via Edit – Options – Color Management – Devices.

I can not find such an entry. I can, of course, use the Preferences to assign the color profile,
The tutorial was made by a Windows user, and on windows the preferences are accessed via "Edit > Options", but of course on macOS they are at the usual macOS place.

Martin
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mo 18 Sep 2017 15:13 (You may also right-click the thumbnail and select Use Adjustment Mask, or Show Mask.)
Works for me, with PL 20.02. (But these menu items only show if the layer in question is an adjustment layer.)

The other differences might well be Windows vs Mac version. Sometimes, the dialogue layouts vary a bit.

Anyhow, it might be useful to mention which PL version the tutorial refers to, just to warn readers using a different version.

Cheers

Burkhard.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

I had noted on the first page that the version used was 20.02 (the current one), but did not specify the operating system; it is now included. Also, on the setup page: “Set up color management via Edit – Options – Color Management (on a Macintosh the menu is PhotoLine – Preferences).” Is this not correct? I do not routinely use Mac but I have a Mac Mini that I consult for this kind of thing.

Off-topic: concerning Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk previously discussed, Ilford had some trouble for awhile but the manufacturer is still making the paper, and it is apparently now sold under several different labels. I just uploaded http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/Ba ... arison.htm, a comparison between this, Arista-II Baryta Photo, and Simply Elegant Gold Fiber.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Mo 02 Okt 2017 06:44 Tips and tricks:

http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/PhotoLine/tips.htm
Some comments:
When you paste a layer, layer handles are displayed by default. To hide them, click View – Show Layer Handles. (You can add it as a button to the toolbar.) Unfortunately there is no way to change the default behavior.
This not quite correct. "Show Layer Handles" is a "per document" option. Once you turn it off, it remains off for all layers in that document (and stays off if you save the document as a pld file or with a pld sidecar file and reopen it). However, "Show Layer Handles" is on by default for every new document.
To view an image with fewer distractions, click View – Hide Panels/Show Panels. (You can add it as a button to the toolbar, but you can’t use it after you hide it; the keyboard shortcut is F11.)
F11 may be the default key, it's also customisable.
The tool and adjustment layer panels are not resizable;
This is a bit unclear. You are probably referring to the modal versions of the panels for the various adjustment layers.

The (nonmodal) adjustment layer panel is resizable (so you can change the width of the various adjustments but not their height). Still, this is often useful.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

bkh hat geschrieben: Mo 02 Okt 2017 11:11
The tool and adjustment layer panels are not resizable;
This is a bit unclear. You are probably referring to the modal versions of the panels for the various adjustment layers.
And the modal dialogs are resizable, too, but resizing them only changes the size of the dialog preview. So if you hide the dialog preview, the dialog becomes not resizable.

Martin
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Thank you for the feedback; I think everything is clarified now.

Is there a way to save a toolbar? Or could they be saved as part of the panel layouts?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Mo 02 Okt 2017 17:51Is there a way to save a toolbar? Or could they be saved as part of the panel layouts?
No, the content of an icon bar is currently not saved along with a dialog layout, only its size.

Martin
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Tutorial is updated for 21.01.
http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/Ph ... /index.asp
Comments welcome . . . .
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

A big thank you for the work you have done.

Now for my request.
I have limited bandwidth and can't keep assessing your tutorial/information online. I tried to convert it to a PDF by downloading and copying the pages but that never worked. So is it possible for you to convert it to a PDF so I can save it and read it on my tablet?

bruce
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Does it work to just save the html files?
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

The issue is complicated by your mouse over images.

I found by right clicking and selecting 'Select all' then right clicking again and copy I can paste the results into an Open Office document. (Then I export as a PDF. This give me the opportunity to do some editing/tidying up).

I get all the text ok. Just that the images often fail to download to the Open Office document. I can repeat it a number of times and get different results. As a last resort I can click on and copy each image individually and then paste it into the Open Office document. But being basically lazy I'm looking for less work!!! I have 95% of it now saved to a PDF.

It may be worth looking at providing a PDF download option. I think that many users are like me and want to use Photoline while being able to read your tutorials in some form while not having to be online.

Edit - I tried the HTML complete option of saving as well as the Web page complete option. Once you go offline the images disappear!!

thanks.
Bruce