Plugin question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Plugin question

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

A quick one!!
I have 4 plugins and want to add another one. I cant seem to figure out how to add a 5th plugin.
Filter/Manage Plugins/Plug In Modules. I have 4 listed. How can I add more?

Edit - I found a work around that solves the 'problem'. But PL? Please allow us to have more than 4 plugins.
Work around - PSP allows lots of plugins. (Hint). So I list my 4 more used plugins in PL. Then use the external editor function to pop over to PSP. Use the plug in and pop back to PL. Not ideal but it works.

bruce
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Plugin question

Beitrag von photoken »

I made two general plugin directories:
D:\Program Files (x86)\Bitmap Plugins
D:\Program Files\Bitmap Plugins x64
and I throw the plugin files into the appropriate one.

When some plugins have a lot of files, and it makes sense to keep things organized, I simply create a directory under one of the previous ones -- for example:
D:\Program Files (x86)\Bitmap Plugins\KPT Collection

So, my settings in PL looks like this:
plugins setting.png
(I have those Nik Collection plugins in their own directory because I don't use them very much and they really slow down the loading of PL when it starts up.)
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Excelletn workaround, Ken, but as Bruce asks -- why only four?

Cheers, Geoff
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben: Fr 26 Mai 2017 23:49 Excelletn workaround, Ken, but as Bruce asks -- why only four?
I don't know.

When I first started using PL, I also objected to the "limitation" of only four entry fields. But now, I understand that more entry fields are unnecessary -- that "Search in Folders" option takes care of everything....

Come to think of it, for the English text, "Search SubDirectories" would be more descriptive and understandable.

P.S., Having only those two general plugin directories has the unintended benefit of making backup and restore ridiculously easy. :)
Ken
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Nice work around Ken.

BUT!! :wink: But. But I have Topaz Denoise 6, Impressions 2, Detail 3 and Clean 3. Denoise 6 and Impressions 2 are in the Programs file director. Detail 3 and Clean 3 are in the Programs (x86) directory. So you see I need 2 entries to cover 4 Topaz plugins. With Nik in another entry I've used 3 out of the 4 of my options. Hmmm better than nothing but still not ideal. But I still have other plugins and only one more entry point!!!!

I created a new folder. Copied and pasted all the Topaz plugins into that folder. That works. But. Still but! But No matter how you arrange them eventually you hit the 4 options limits. And with the amount of plugins on the market that 4 starts to become an issue very fast.

Bruce
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Sa 27 Mai 2017 05:34 I created a new folder. Copied and pasted all the Topaz plugins into that folder. That works. But. Still but! But No matter how you arrange them eventually you hit the 4 options limits.
???

I've got a total of 50 plugins installed (counting 32-bit and 64-bit), and you see from my screenshot that I haven't hit the "4 options limit".

Just keep creating subdirectories under those two "main" plugin directories, or simply dump everything into the "main" directories.

It doesn't mean diddley squat how sloppy those two "main" plugin directories are. The important thing is that PL sorts everything out when it starts up and shows you everything nicely organized....

P.S., Don't forget that you've also got PL's own Plugins directory under its program directory, so you've got even more directories and subdirectories that PL will search when launched. I don't use the PL Plugins directory because I'm uninstalling the old beta and installing the new beta every 2-3 weeks and it makes more sense for me to keep my plugins separate.
Ken
Christopher
Mitglied

Beitrag von Christopher »

I use only one list in Photoline as a PlugIn directory.
In this I put on for every Plugin a Symbolic Links
mklink /J PluginName "c:\Program Files\PluginName"

mklink /J PTLens "c:\Program Files\ePaperPress\PTLens"
Gruss Christopher

IMatch zur Bilderverwaltung, Capture One und DxO PhotoLab
als RAW-Converter und PhotoLine (x64) zur Bildbearbeitung.
Es geht auch sehr gut ohne Abobe Produkte und Adobe's Abomodell.
Betriebssystem Windows 11 22H2
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Guys the point is the 'only 4 options'.

I started with computers way back in the early 80's when 32k of rom and ram were big time. Studied for a certificate, diploma and degree in computer programing and data management etc etc. Learn to program in several languages. Used DOS, CPM and Concurrent CPM. So I can figure out most things. You guys found and pointed me to a work around. Great. But I haven't the time to figure these things out. Thus many of my 'dumb' questions.
The thing is that new users 'expect' these editors/programs to work for them without the need for a 'clever' work around. Most haven't the time or knowledge to figure it out. And thus jump ship to another editor.

So the solution shouldn't be the work around. It should either be more than 4 slots in the program or clearly outlined in the manual. A new comer may well not even know where their plugins are installed. Let alone have the ability or confidence to create folders and copy and paste folders without getting into serious trouble.

Given the abundance of plugins out there I wonder how PL's developers justify the 4 plugin slots.

bruce
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: So 28 Mai 2017 00:04 A new comer may well not even know where their plugins are installed.
The plugins can be installed in PL's default plugins directory. That directory even includes a text file saying "Install plugins here". This is the same method used by every other image editor on the planet. So, there's nothing obscure or difficult. (If a newcomer doesn't "have the ability or confidence to create folders and copy and paste folders without getting into serious trouble.", he really shouldn't be using a computer, let alone an image editor.)

I realize that I need to emphasize that my use of those two external plugin directories is because of my unique situation: I keep two separate installations of PL -- the current General Release version and the latest beta version. Every 2-3 weeks I uninstall the old beta and install the new beta. It makes great sense for me to have all my plugins safely in their own external directories and simply point the two versions of PL (as well as other image editors I test or use) to those external directories.

The average user can simply dump all his plugins into PL's Plugins directory and be happy....
Ken
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Ken if you go over to the PSP forum you can bring up many 'where's my plugin' questions. So my bet is that the majority of users have no idea where they are installed. Then if you are like me you don't want directories full of the same plugins. So having the ability to 'point' your editor to them is a great help. And I'll wager you that there are thousands of folks using photo editors who have no idea how to 'manipulate' folders.

With PSP you just point to the plugins in the Preferences section. No limits. However if you do that with PL you hit the 4 barrier. So with PL you have to use something similar to your work around. It all gets to confusing for the average user. "This is the same method used by every other image editor on the planet". No PSP lets you use many more plugins with no limits to my knowledge.

bruce
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Bruce, we'll have to agree to disagree about this.

Until you can show me that PSP does not have its own default plugins directory, I'll stand by my previous statement.

I think you're confusing the number of directories that can be listed with the number of plugins that can be used.
Ken
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Don't get me wrong Ken. Your idea of all the plugins in one folder works. And works well.
My main concern is for the 90% of users who 'assume' that the 4 options are all there is. I can't see it mentioned anywhere in the documentation.

I do take task with your assumption though that everyone knows how to dig into their folders and move 'stuff' around. The mere fact that zillions of users are blindly blundering down the Adobe road is testament enough to prove my point. :shock:

bruce