PDF X/-3 export options

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
iosoio
Mitglied

PDF X/-3 export options

Beitrag von iosoio »

Hello,

I can't find a way to take advantage of the PDF X/-3 (1.3 subset) peculiarity to support ICC profiles.
There isn't a place where to set the output profile: the one to which every profiles in the document are converted when it's time to export the PDF for printing.

I assume Photoline uses a unique document profile and thus that I have to convert all the content in advance. This is not a problem for the picture layers but what happens to vector shapes and non outlined fonts? Are they automatically converted to the, for example, CMYK profile of the (picture in) background, which I suppose to give the ICC profile to the whole document, or do I have to convert the vector layers as well?

Thank you very much.

G.
Papa, Papa, ich möchte ein Clown sein, wenn ich groß bin.
Bravo, sag deiner Mutter, sie soll dich nach Italien bringen, um als Richterin zu lernen!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: PDF X/-3 export options

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

iosoio hat geschrieben: Fr 25 Aug 2017 23:08I can't find a way to take advantage of the PDF X/-3 (1.3 subset) peculiarity to support ICC profiles.
There isn't a place where to set the output profile: the one to which every profiles in the document are converted when it's time to export the PDF for printing.
With PDF/X3 the data in the document aren't converted to the output profile, instead all data in the PDF have to be well-defined by using ICC profiles (which is ensured by PhotoLine).

I am citing the help:
Both formats (PDF/X1a and PDF/X3) have several things in common:
• They define for which CMYK color space they are created. PhotoLine uses the color profile assigned to the document. If no profile is assigned, the default CMYK profile (see chapter 7.10.1.37) is used. This profile is embedded in the generated PDF file, thus PDF/X1a and PDF/X3 files are often significantly larger than “normal” PDF files.
(...)
The main difference between the two formats is, that with PDF/X1a all color data is converted to CMYK. This does not happen with PDF/X3. Here, the original data is preserved, but an attached ICC profile ensures a well-defined appearance.
Martin
iosoio
Mitglied

Beitrag von iosoio »

OK. In PDF/X-3 ICCs are Just flags for the conversion that is performed by the RIP and in PL the profile is set at the document level, while the document derives its chatacterization from the background..

Consequently, given the impssibility to assign a profile while creating a new document, I still need to have/convert a background in the required space for the exported PDF; and if I have a picture with a (the correct) profile in the background every overlayed vector object and every text box get the document profile automatically. Am I wright?

Thank you
Bravo, sag deiner Mutter, sie soll dich nach Italien bringen, um als Richterin zu lernen!
iosoio
Mitglied

Beitrag von iosoio »

Sorry. I was in a train and answering by the phone; I couldn't check that, even if creating a new document it's only possible to choose the colour space, while creating a new pictures allows you to set also the ICC profile, clicking twice on the Document Attributes > ICC profiles lets you set the desired profile. This means that every pictures with a different colour profile and every vector layer is correctly signed with the document ICC profile, Doesn't it?

Thanks again.

G.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

iosoio hat geschrieben: Sa 26 Aug 2017 14:30 Sorry. I was in a train and answering by the phone; I couldn't check that, even if creating a new document it's only possible to choose the colour space, while creating a new pictures allows you to set also the ICC profile, clicking twice on the Document Attributes > ICC profiles lets you set the desired profile. This means that every pictures with a different colour profile and every vector layer is correctly signed with the document ICC profile, Doesn't it?
It is as the quoted help says: With PDF/X3 no color data is converted, neither images nor vector colors. Profiled images and vector layers keep their profile, otherwise the corresponding default profile is used.

Martin
iosoio
Mitglied

Beitrag von iosoio »

Martin, saying:
PhotoLine uses the color profile assigned to the document. If no profile is assigned, the default CMYK profile (see chapter 7.10.1.37) is used.
Is different from saying:
Profiled images and vector layers keep their profile, otherwise the corresponding default profile is used.
because a document can contain raster images with ICC profiles different from the one assigned to the document and vector shapes can be drawn inside photoline, case in which I suppose the document profile is used...

The only way I see to conbine the two sentences is thinking in terms of 'Source' and 'Output' where "Profiled images and vector layers keep their profile" refers to the 'Source' profiles and "PhotoLine uses the color profile assigned to the document" is about the destination, the 'Output'profile.

If my interpretation is correct, then the output profile I couldn't find how to set up is the document profile selected by the above mentioned Document Attribuite window and the problem is solved.

Thank you

G.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

iosoio hat geschrieben: Sa 26 Aug 2017 22:02 Martin, saying:
PhotoLine uses the color profile assigned to the document. If no profile is assigned, the default CMYK profile (see chapter 7.10.1.37) is used.
This means the output intent of the PDF.
iosoio hat geschrieben: Sa 26 Aug 2017 22:02Is different from saying:
Profiled images and vector layers keep their profile, otherwise the corresponding default profile is used.
because a document can contain raster images with ICC profiles different from the one assigned to the document and vector shapes can be drawn inside photoline, case in which I suppose the document profile is used...
I can just repeat: PDF/X3 doesn't convert images or color data:
- If an image has a different profile than the document, this different profile will be exported to the PDF
- If there is a vector layer with an unprofiled CMYK color or an unprofiled CMYK image, the document profile will be used.
- If a vector layer uses RGB/gray/Lab colors, an appropriate profile will be exported.

If it is still unclear, just create a simple test file, export it as PDF/X3, import it again in PhotoLine and you will see what happens.

If you want your color data to be converted to CMYK, use PDF/X1a.

Martin
iosoio
Mitglied

Beitrag von iosoio »

PhotoLine uses the color profile assigned to the document.
This means the output intent of the PDF
Thank you, the problem is resolved.