Why using a raw converter when PL does it well?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Simon
Mitglied

Why using a raw converter when PL does it well?

Beitrag von Simon »

Hi,

Why using an additional program to make the RAW conversion when PhotoLine makes it great?

Recently I moved into the mirror less technology and I changed Nikon to Fujifilm. As a result I had to make the same with my SW because some products do not support it, specially DxO Optics Pro. After playing with very good programs as Photo Ninja, Capture One Pro, Acdsee Ultimate and Affinity Photo, I found they do not fit well with my workflow not to mention Adesee's and Affinity's products are buggy.

Then I figured the question I wanted to share with you, I know PL interphase is horrible but I already have to deal with it since it is my raster editor.

Thank you.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Re: Why using a raw converter when PL does it well?

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

Like I always say, if you get the results you want from a certain application, fine; but . . . there is a lot more to raw conversion than what most general photo editors are able to do. For example, with RawTherapee, you can apply .dcp color profiles specific to your camera, which make a huge difference; plus lens profiles, and many other adjustments. This may or may not make a difference in what you are trying to do, but I hope it answers your question.

And PL’s interface is not that horrible once you get used to it . . . . :wink:
Simon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Simon »

You gave a valuable clue to me: productivity. One remarkable reason to use RAW converter software is the chance to get faster results.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Simon hat geschrieben: So 24 Sep 2017 18:09 Why using an additional program to make the RAW conversion when PhotoLine makes it great?
Because the additional program might have features that are not in PL, and those features might be useful in some circumstances. For example, RawTherapee has an excellent colour fringe removal tool....
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

For us Nikon users the free NX-D is my pick of RAW converters. Yes it's a basic program. But it gives great results. And most importantly is can read the Nikon in camera settings. Something other converters can't do.

However this is one of those cases where the program you know best usually is the 'best'.

bruce