Another question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Another question

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I apologize for filling up this forum with questions, but as I keep learning new things I keep finding more things I do not know. Here is another example.

I was processing a raw image from my camera and noticed that the water line in the image of the Texas Gulf Coast was curved due to lens distortion. What I wanted to do was to correct the distortion so I used the Distort Tool to drag one of the corners up and correct the horizon distortion. That worked properly, however it also distorted a rectangular sign further in the edge and I want to drag that back down to correct the secondary distortion. The problem is that the sign is about 1/3 of the way into the image from the edge and I do not see any way to drag that down. That is, the Distort Tool allows me to drag corners of the image to correct perspective or lens distortion but how do I correct distortion that is not at the edge of the image?

With other editors there is a Mesh Warp Tool of some kind and I am sure that functionality also exists in PL, but I could not find it and could not find any reference to it in the manual. I did find a Warp entry, but that does not seem to fit the kind of thing I need to do.
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Another question

Beitrag von photoken »

In the settings panel for the Distort tool, click on the hammer icon. Then you can click within the image to set as many "distortion control points" as you need. IOW, you're creating a custom mesh warp.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

photoken hat geschrieben: So 01 Okt 2017 01:47 In the settings panel for the Distort tool, click on the hammer icon. Then you can click within the image to set as many "distortion control points" as you need. IOW, you're creating a custom mesh warp.
Yes, thank you. I see it now. I was looking for a separate icon and did not look at the tool settings for Distort.

Once I have set the distortion as I want it how do I tell PL to accept the changes? I do not see any OK button and, if I change tools, the change does not take place. There is no dialog box for me to dismiss either.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: So 01 Okt 2017 02:10 Once I have set the distortion as I want it how do I tell PL to accept the changes? I do not see any OK button and, if I change tools, the change does not take place. There is no dialog box for me to dismiss either.
Works OK here. Switching to another tool keeps the distortion.

BTW, there is also the Filter...Digital Camera...Lens Correction which might work for your image.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

photoken hat geschrieben: So 01 Okt 2017 02:16 Works OK here. Switching to another tool keeps the distortion.

BTW, there is also the Filter...Digital Camera...Lens Correction which might work for your image.
I had tried the Filter before I posted, and it did correct most of the distortion, but not all, and that is why I posted.

I tried switching to another tool and yes, it kept the distortion. I am not sure why I thought it did not before.

Thank you for your help. I am finding the learning curve for PL to be a bit steep, not because I am unfamiliar with what I need to do, or how to do it, but because I am unfamiliar with how to do it with PL, and its approach differs from what I am used to. Still, the more I use it the more I learn and the more I like PL and what it does to my photos.

I have been using Affinity Photo for a couple of years now, and Photoshop before that, and I am having to re-learn how to do many things. Still, it keeps getting easier as I figure out what to do or as someone like you answers my questions when I can not figure it out. I appreciate all of the help I get on this forum.