another plugin/external question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

another plugin/external question

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Ok so I'm having issues trying to get Topaz Studio to work. I have found a work around by opening PSPx8 via the External Programs feature. Not ideal but as PSPx8 has no issues with Topaz Studio it's a compromise I'll accept.

Now I have a similar issue with Filter Forge. I can't get Photoline to cooperate with Filter Forge as either a Plugin, (Filter Forge 7.8bf), or as an external program. Either as 'Filter Forge' or 'Filter Forge x64'. PL/External Program/Filter Forge will open Filter Forge. But the image won't load in Filter Forge.

Same solution. Open image. Photoline/External Programs/PSPx8. Once in PSPx8 I can call up the Filter Forge plugin. Edit and send the image back to PL via PSPx8.

Any clues?

bruce
bruce1951
Mitglied

Re: another plugin/external question

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

One more comment that may be relevant.

When you download and install Filter Forge it looks for and finds compatible host editors. In my case it found PSPx8. (Both the 32 and 64 bit versions). I selected the 64 bit version of PSPx8. Filter Forge installs itself in your editor!

So I can use Filter Forge as a PSPx8 plugin in. I can use Filter Forge as a standalone program. But Photoline and Filter Forge don't get along together.

I hope the developers look at this and talk to Filter Forge to find a resolution. Filter Forge is a very powerful program and is well worth the effort for those doing work like me!

bruce
speedskater
Mitglied

Beitrag von speedskater »

Filter Forge should work as a plugin if you change the value <IndependentUI value="false"/> to true in the Filter Forge.config file. There are two config files - one for 32 and one for 64 bit programs. So you have to change both.

You have to search for the path of the config file yourself because I don't have installed Filter Forge right now.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks speedskater. I tried that but for whatever reason I keep getting an Administrator/permissions error.

Strange.

I'll try again later when I get more time.

bruce
speedskater
Mitglied

Hi Bruce,

there are two ways to change the config files.

1) Start the editor with administrator privileges (right click "run as admin") and you can directly change the files.

or

2) Copy the config file to your desktop, change them and copy them back to the Filter Forge plugin directories ("C:\Program Files\Filter Forge 7\Plugin\x64\Filter Forge.config" and "C:\Program Files\Filter Forge 7\Plugin\Filter Forge.config") Both config files are identical.

Maybe the editor tries to add a ".txt" extension like this: "Filter Forge.config.txt". If that is the case simply remove the ".txt" part.

Tried it now on my own PC and the plugin works like a charm from within PhotoLine.

Markus
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks speedskater.

I have tried everything. But I keep getting an administrator/access denied error.

I've done something stupid as now I can't get administrator rights for anything.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

EDIT - Bingo. No idea what was happening as administrator. It wouldn't let me change the .config file. But I copied the Filter Forge folder and pasted it into a Filter Forge Temp folder. Pointed Photoline to that folder and everything works after changing the config file. It works as a plugin but as an external editor is wont load the image. But hey I have the plugin working.

Thanks

bruce
speedskater
Mitglied

Hi Bruce,

I am sorry that it doesn't work for you but editing the config file is the only way to make the Filter Forge plugin compatible to PhotoLine for now.

Or ask the Filter Forge developers to officially support PhotoLine as host application because there is no reason not to do it. BTW Affinity had the same problems and they added offficial compatibilty to Filter Forge.

Markus

Oh, I didn't notice that you edited your last post but good to know that it works for you now.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks.

The Filter Forge plugin now works fine. However if I call up Filter Forge as an External Program Filter Forge will start but the file/layer/image from Photoline never appears.

The plugin will do me just fine.

bruce
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

- I wrote two emails to the support of Filter Forge, to see why the plugin doesn't work in "Standard" mode. Sorry, but I didn't get an answer until now.
- The fix of speedskater works fine here.
- PhotoLine calls external programs in a standard way (filename, file to open). This works for almost every program, I tested in the past. It does not work for Filter Forge. You can test it, drag an image to the Filter Forge icon in the Windows Explorer - doesn't work. So Filter Forge is not able to be used as an external program at the moment.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks for the feedback Gerhard. Your responses on this forum are much appreciated.

At least the plugin works. (Alternatively I can External Program/PainShopPro and from PSP call Filter Forge as a plugin. So there is the plugin and a work around. I'm happy).

bruce