My wishes (alpha channel)

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
prx4
Mitglied

My wishes (alpha channel)

Beitrag von prx4 »

Hi! I tried Photoline and it is excellent but I miss something - alpha channel. For example I am rendering isometric and pseudoisometric sprites in tiff and then I can open in PS, select alpha channel, copy, then paste and the background is removed. In Photoline that is impossible because the picture is actually without alpha.
P.S. Here is a tiff for testing, zipped.
tifvetrohod.zip
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Re: My wishes (alpha channel)

Beitrag von bkh »

Not sure why PL opens the alpha channel as a separate layer. Maybe the developers can have a look.

In any case, you can easily work around this problem: open the layer panel and change the top layer to a clipping layer, e.g. by shift-clicking into the leftmost box beside its icon. A small pair of scissors should appear in that box:
layer panel.png
Cheers

Burkhard.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
prx4
Mitglied

Beitrag von prx4 »

That is better, thank you. But the shadow is lighter.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bkh hat geschrieben: Mi 20 Dez 2017 02:41 Not sure why PL opens the alpha channel as a separate layer. Maybe the developers can have a look.
The file contains 4 samples per pixel, but doesn't declare the meaning of the 4th sample, so this sample can be premultiplied alpha, "normal" alpha or something different, and therefore PhotoLine doesn't know its meaning.

Martin
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

prx4 hat geschrieben: Mi 20 Dez 2017 02:54 That is better, thank you. But the shadow is lighter.
On macOS (which apparently treats the additional layer as alpha), the shadows are the same as with the clipping layer in PL (using sRGB as the default colour space in both). Of course, since the image has no colour profile, this may be different in different programs.

The layer does not look like premultiplied alpha, but if you need PL to interpret it as such, then you'd need to copy the extra layer and set it to "divide" mode:
layer panel.png
Cheers

Burkhard.
prx4
Mitglied

Beitrag von prx4 »

Yes, that helps. I am exporting them to png. If I just put that alpha with the scissor it looks ok but actually the alpha mask is not only the ship and its shadow. That is visible when I import it into the game and try to crop it. If I do what you suggest with divide it is ok. Actually I am selecting the "background, then control-click on the "alpha" then copy-paste and another paste-divide. Without that second paste the shadow is lighter.
Thank you for your help.