Distort

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Distort

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Is there a way to use the Distort tool on multiple layers?
I have a multiple layer file. I want to apply distort to all layers however I can only get it to work on the active layer. Is there something I'm missing?

bruce
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Distort

Beitrag von Hoogo »

It also works on a group, so you could first group everything you want to distort.
It behaves a little odd when you move the content of the group afterwards, but that can easily be fixed by touching the distortion again.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Hoogo I tried to Group. But when I select a layer in that group only that layer distorts. The other layers remain unchanged. If I select the Group/top layer then fine. But I can't ungroup without losing the distortions. So if I keep the group then fine. But if at any time I want to add to those layers I run into more trouble!!
What I'm trying to do is apply a distortion that will be applied to all layers at the same time.

Or am I missing something? But as you point out. I'm getting some crazy results!!

bruce
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Two alternative solutions:

1) create a virtual layer of your group, and distort the virtual layer instead.
2) convert your layers to a placeholder layer, and distort the placeholder layer.

In both cases the original layers can be easily edited later. Using placeholder layers would clean up the layer stack as well, and improve performance.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Eurgail
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eurgail »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Sa 13 Jan 2018 12:35 Two alternative solutions
Does this really work for you? As far as i know, Distortion doesn't work either with virtual layers or with placeholder layers.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Do 11 Jan 2018 06:03Hoogo I tried to Group. But when I select a layer in that group only that layer distorts. The other layers remain unchanged. If I select the Group/top layer then fine. But I can't ungroup without losing the distortions. So if I keep the group then fine.
If you want to distort several layers the same way, a group is the correct solution.
bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Do 11 Jan 2018 06:03But if at any time I want to add to those layers I run into more trouble!!
I don't know the trouble you are having, but maybe temporarily turning off the distortion using the Layer Attributes is a solution.

Martin
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Eurgail hat geschrieben: Sa 13 Jan 2018 16:16
Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Sa 13 Jan 2018 12:35 Two alternative solutions
Does this really work for you? As far as i know, Distortion doesn't work either with virtual layers or with placeholder layers.
What! You're correct - I just assumed it would. I checked this, and the distort is applied to a placeholder layer, but doesn't affect it. That seems like a bug to me.
I hope this will be corrected.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I've tried a few 'solutions' yet none of them seem to be able to distort more than one layer unless in a group. Then if that group needs to be modified, ie more or less layers, then the distortion becomes a problem one way or another.

I would like a simple option to apply to Distortion. A check box that asks if the Distortion is to apply to all layers or not. If YES then the distortion applies to ALL layers. If NO then the distortion tool stays as it is.

bruce
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Di 16 Jan 2018 00:48...Then if that group needs to be modified, ie more or less layers, then the distortion becomes a problem one way or another.
But what exactly is that problem for you?
For me it was odd to see that the distortion was "fixed" to the containing layers. Rotating and moving a layer to other positions didn't change its shape according to the different distortion at the new place. But that was easily fixed when I selected the group again and made a change to the distortion. Or when I disabled the distortion-attribute in the layer properties.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Hoogo I'm not in front of my editing computer at the moment so I may fire a few blanks here!!

But if I have a PL file of 3 layers. I can Distort the top layer and only the top layer distorts. Not good for me because I want the subject to be distorted. Now if I Group them and do a distort then all the layers in the group will distort. No worries. But I'm forever restricted to working within that group. If I want to add another layer, say copy and paste a new layer of another image, that also has to be pasted in that group. This may be ok for some users. But I would like the flexibility of choosing which layers to apply the distort to with the need for a group.

I also note that external plugins won't work on a group. Just layers within a group.

bruce