Extremely sensitive scroll in picture browser

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
asharpe
Mitglied

Extremely sensitive scroll in picture browser

Beitrag von asharpe »

Hi folks,

This is going to hard to explain, so please be patient with me. I'm using PL 20.00, and I've used it for quite some time. I have just upgraded to OSX High Sierra, though, and I've noticed something that is driving me crazy. I assume it's something about the way mouse events are presented to an application, but I don't know.

I use the photo browser to decide which images to process, and use the forward and backward arrows (on the photo browser) quite a bit. Occasionally, I might brush my finger on the top of the Apple Magic Mouse, which is scroll. In High Sierra, this causes the browse mode to get so many forward or backward picture events that the entire application is hung while it goes forward, immediately starts loading another image; loads it, and then immediately loads another one, and so on. This might go on for 5-10 *minutes*. And I know I didn't present that many scroll movements to the application. Anyway, I shoot in DNG raw format, so the loading does take perhaps 5 seconds even just for that, so you can see that this whole operation renders the application useless for me. I have never noticed this before High Sierra, so even though it might have happened, it never had the dire consequences that it does now.

So. First of all, has this been seen by anyone else? I can't imagine that it hasn't. Second, would a later version of PL alleviate the problem? Finally, if this hasn't been seen by anyone, is there any way in PL for me to tell the browse mode to ignore the mouse scroll as a way to move forward and backward? I never do this, except as an accident, and an accident that now has, as I've described, a very high price to pay.

Thanks.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Extremely sensitive scroll in picture browser

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

asharpe hat geschrieben: Do 01 Mär 2018 05:21(...) I'm using PL 20.00, and I've used it for quite some time. I have just upgraded to OSX High Sierra, (...)

I use the photo browser to decide which images to process, and use the forward and backward arrows (on the photo browser) quite a bit.
The Browse panel doesn't have forward or backward arrows. Are you maybe talking about "Show Image" accessible via the Browse panel?
asharpe hat geschrieben: Do 01 Mär 2018 05:21Occasionally, I might brush my finger on the top of the Apple Magic Mouse, which is scroll. In High Sierra, this causes the browse mode to get so many forward or backward picture events that the entire application is hung while it goes forward, immediately starts loading another image; loads it, and then immediately loads another one, and so on. This might go on for 5-10 *minutes*. And I know I didn't present that many scroll movements to the application. Anyway, I shoot in DNG raw format, so the loading does take perhaps 5 seconds even just for that, so you can see that this whole operation renders the application useless for me. I have never noticed this before High Sierra, so even though it might have happened, it never had the dire consequences that it does now.
I just tried that and you are right that the "mouse wheel" is behaving strange. However, I couldn't reproduce your extreme delays.
I will check that.
asharpe hat geschrieben: Do 01 Mär 2018 05:21So. First of all, has this been seen by anyone else? I can't imagine that it hasn't.
We haven't heard of this problem yet.
asharpe hat geschrieben: Do 01 Mär 2018 05:21Second, would a later version of PL alleviate the problem? Finally, if this hasn't been seen by anyone, is there any way in PL for me to tell the browse mode to ignore the mouse scroll as a way to move forward and backward?
If you use a gesture to switch to another file, the "mouse wheel" is turned off during the active session of the dialog. So doing a swipe left or right (on the magic mouse two fingers fast to the left/right), will temporarily disable it.

Martin
asharpe
Mitglied

Beitrag von asharpe »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 02 Mär 2018 17:21 The Browse panel doesn't have forward or backward arrows. Are you maybe talking about "Show Image" accessible via the Browse panel
Yes, precisely. Sorry I wasn't clear. I see the problem while I am in the Show Image mode of Browse.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 02 Mär 2018 17:21I just tried that and you are right that the "mouse wheel" is behaving strange. However, I couldn't reproduce your extreme delays.
Not really delays, but because, if I Show Image, and while there, if I touch the mouse scroll, I think that the application sees a whole lot of scroll events, which tells it to show the next (or previous) image. But immediately after loading that image, it sees another scroll event, so it goes on to load the next image, and the next, etc. And during this loading phase, no other input is allowed. I can't cancel the operation, or anything else. So, I have to wait for it to process all the scroll events it saw, which for me, in a folder of 100 or so raw DNG images, takes quite some time.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 02 Mär 2018 17:21 If you use a gesture to switch to another file, the "mouse wheel" is turned off during the active session of the dialog. So doing a swipe left or right (on the magic mouse two fingers fast to the left/right), will temporarily disable it.
If going to the next image was accomplished with a 2 finger swipe, that would solve my problem, because it is unlikely that I would do that by accident. But that gesture is what I use to change active desktops. I guess there are no preferences for changing the mouse gesture bindings in PL?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

asharpe hat geschrieben: Fr 02 Mär 2018 19:05
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 02 Mär 2018 17:21I just tried that and you are right that the "mouse wheel" is behaving strange. However, I couldn't reproduce your extreme delays.
Not really delays, but because, if I Show Image, and while there, if I touch the mouse scroll, I think that the application sees a whole lot of scroll events, which tells it to show the next (or previous) image. But immediately after loading that image, it sees another scroll event, so it goes on to load the next image, and the next, etc. And during this loading phase, no other input is allowed. I can't cancel the operation, or anything else. So, I have to wait for it to process all the scroll events it saw, which for me, in a folder of 100 or so raw DNG images, takes quite some time.
Yes, I understood that.
asharpe hat geschrieben: Fr 02 Mär 2018 19:05If going to the next image was accomplished with a 2 finger swipe, that would solve my problem, because it is unlikely that I would do that by accident. But that gesture is what I use to change active desktops. I guess there are no preferences for changing the mouse gesture bindings in PL?
Sadly, there isn't a preference, but we are going to fix the problem.

Martin
asharpe
Mitglied

Beitrag von asharpe »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Mo 05 Mär 2018 10:43 Sadly, there isn't a preference, but we are going to fix the problem.
Thanks! Do you have an idea in what release or beta test version the fix might appear?
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

try the latest Beta8.
asharpe
Mitglied

Beitrag von asharpe »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Mi 07 Mär 2018 06:32 try the latest Beta8.
Wow! Much better. A swipe (even a long swipe) at the mouse scroll in Show Image in Browse mode only moves one image forward or backward, and then stops. It may have done this in the past the same way, but I don't remember (actually, I still have copies of PL back to 18.01 and I could try it, but it doesn't matter). I like it the way you fixed it. Thank you, you have saved the remaining hair on my head.