[REQ] Label layer color to child layer

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Juan
Mitglied

[REQ] Label layer color to child layer

Beitrag von Juan »

Hi all,

When working with big amount of layers and groups the things start getting complicated to follow in the Layer panel, even though we can assign any color label to the layers, frequently the need of "propagating" the label color to the child layers helps to make the navigation even easier. Therefore, I would like to ask if it is possible to add certain command that let us select the parent layer and from there Copy Color Label to Sub-layers.

Currently, we can not select all the layers inside a group plus the parent child and layer mask nested to some child layers, so having to do this manually affects the workflow. Additionally, I would like to remark that this feature is not intended to be by "default" hence the proposal of a new entry in the right click over the Layer visibility icon.

This is an example of layer hierarchy which do not allow to select all the layers that belong to a group.
Child layers.jpg
What do you think?

Cheers,
Juan
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: [REQ] Label layer color to child layer

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Juan hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Jul 2018 08:14...Additionally, I would like to remark that this feature is not intended to be by "default"...
Why not? As long as you did not select a color for a layer, it could just get inherited.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Jul 2018 09:33 Why not? As long as you did not select a color for a layer, it could just get inherited.
Because there could be cases where a group can be dropped inside an existing one and do not want the label color to be inherited by it. Let me set an example, you have one group with a red label color, then you create a new group and drop the red label one inside the newly created group, now if this behaviour is automatic, when you change the color of the new group it will override the existing color of the red label one and their sub layers and this is what I want to avoid.

Of course you are right as well, so why not make it as an option in the preferences where the user choose between a "manual" inheritage labeling color as proposed in my workflow or an "automatic" method as you proposed which makes totally sense.

Cheers,
Juan
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Juan hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Jul 2018 09:55
Hoogo hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Jul 2018 09:33 Why not? As long as you did not select a color for a layer, it could just get inherited.
...Let me set an example, you have one group with a red label color, then you create a new group and drop the red label one inside the newly created group, now if this behaviour is automatic, when you change the color of the new group it will override the existing color of the red label one and their sub layers and this is what I want to avoid...
That's not what I have in mind.

1) Existing group: Red
2) New Group: without color.
3) Another Group: Green

You example was putting 1) into 2).
As 1 has a defined color, that color will be kept and not taken from the outer group.
It will also keep its color if it is put into 3)
Only 2) will change its color if it is placed into another group or removed from it. Move it into 1), it will be shown red, move it into 3), it will turn green, remove it from colored groups, and it will be without color again.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

Interesting idea, I like it, and all the layers inside the group will inherit the color as well. Additionally, if you change the color of a group it will automatically then change the label of all the elements inside that group but with the possibility to change the label of one specific layer inside the group. :?:

Cheers,
Juan