"Save as" in an action

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
PhilM
Mitglied

"Save as" in an action

Beitrag von PhilM »

A "Save as" step in an action does not work as expected/wished.

Scenario : automate a rework procedure with various steps (Adjustment layers, crop,resize...) and terminate it with a "Save as" .pld file.

When I record the action, the "Save as" step memorises the file name at the time of recording.

So when I execute the action on an other image/document, it is always saved with the same name, instead of using the image file name by default and just adding the .pld extension.

A normal "save as" defaults to current file name.

Is there a way to obtain the expected behavior ?

Phil
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: "Save as" in an action

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

I moved the topic to "Discussion about PhotoLine", because "Aktionen/Actions" is intended for user-created actions.
PhilM hat geschrieben: Mo 27 Aug 2018 20:03 A "Save as" step in an action does not work as expected/wished.

Scenario : automate a rework procedure with various steps (Adjustment layers, crop,resize...) and terminate it with a "Save as" .pld file.

When I record the action, the "Save as" step memorises the file name at the time of recording.

So when I execute the action on an other image/document, it is always saved with the same name, instead of using the image file name by default and just adding the .pld extension.
Well, it's a "Save As" and IMO ignoring the given filename wouldn't be correct either.
PhilM hat geschrieben: Mo 27 Aug 2018 20:03 A normal "save as" defaults to current file name.

Is there a way to obtain the expected behavior ?
No, currently there isn't. We might implement some special behavior that an empty filename which will be the standard "No name" in English is replaced by the document name, though.

Martin
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

PhilM wrote: ↑
Mon 27 Aug 2018 20:03
A "Save as" step in an action does not work as expected/wished.

Martin Huber wrote:
Well, it's a "Save As" and IMO ignoring the given filename wouldn't be correct either.
Yes, correct.
There are more use cases.
1. save as same file name and different extension
2. save as file name with append and extension : "picture.jpg" saved as "picture_reworked.jpg"
3. combination of 1 and 2 above
4. save as fixed file name (as it works now)

Regards

Phil
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

What if * gets a meaning in a filename used for saving? "*_new.jpg" could mean "Current_Filename_new.jpg"
Not exactly what I call "intuitive", and I'm also unsure if a normal dialog would allow such a filename.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

Hoogo, you got the idea !

But the "Save as" dialog does not accept such expression.

And PL action would have to store the action step before the windows dialog converts it to the interpreted file name.

Regards

Phil
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

I think scripting is the way to go.
Currently scripting can't execute actions, but I will add this.

Martin