Fast way to convert straight vector point into curve?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Tom Fulery
Mitglied

Fast way to convert straight vector point into curve?

Beitrag von Tom Fulery »

(Photoline V. 19.51)

What is the fastest & easiest way to convert a straight vector point or line into a curve, or add a curve point to a straight vector line?

The 'Convert Vector Point' & 'Curve Creation' tools are clunky & don't work half the time.

Thanks!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Fast way to convert straight vector point into curve?

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Do 01 Nov 2018 20:18The 'Convert Vector Point' & 'Curve Creation' tools are clunky & don't work half the time.
These two and "Edit Vector Points" are the tools of choice here.

What is clunky and in what situation don't they work?

Martin
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

I'd recommend using the "Convert Vector Point" tool, but rather use it to convert the connecting line to a curve. The tool will only add (or remove) the Bezier control points to the adjacent vector points. You'll have to adjust them manually to make the connecting line bend (using the "Edit Vector Points" tool). Note that you can also drag the connecting line with the "Edit Vector Points" tool.

But often, it's easier to create a curve right away – by dragging instead of clicking when adding points.

Cheers,

Burkhard.
Tom Fulery
Mitglied

Beitrag von Tom Fulery »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Do 01 Nov 2018 23:08
Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Do 01 Nov 2018 20:18The 'Convert Vector Point' & 'Curve Creation' tools are clunky & don't work half the time.
These two and "Edit Vector Points" are the tools of choice here.

What is clunky and in what situation don't they work?

Martin
When I try to use the 'Convert Vector Point' tool, nothing usually happens. But I finally discovered that if I simply double-click + Command on the vector line it adds a curve point which is then easy to edit. That's the fastest & easiest way, but it took a lot of work to figure it out.

I like Photoline a lot & it works very well, but often it's difficult to figure out how to use it because the User Guide & terminology are very unclear in English.

Thanks
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Sa 03 Nov 2018 00:28When I try to use the 'Convert Vector Point' tool, nothing usually happens. But I finally discovered that if I simply double-click + Command on the vector line it adds a curve point which is then easy to edit...
It also took me quite a while to find that this "..point" tool asks to click onto the lines, not onto the points.

I did not get the "double-click + Command" thing. To me it seems that neither double click nor Ctrl key have any meaning for the 'Convert Vector Point' tool
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Sa 03 Nov 2018 00:28When I try to use the 'Convert Vector Point' tool, nothing usually happens.
I don't understand this. It works fine here. The type of operation is indicated by the shape of the mouse cursor (as in most/all tools of PhotoLine). If the mouse cursor shows both a line and a curve, it won't do anything. If it shows a line, it will convert a curve to line. If it shows a curve, it will convert a line to a curve. The last operation (curve to line) has no visual effect, because a line converted to a curve is still straight, but it will have two auxiliary points to control its shape.
Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Sa 03 Nov 2018 00:28But I finally discovered that if I simply double-click + Command on the vector line it adds a curve point which is then easy to edit. That's the fastest & easiest way, but it took a lot of work to figure it out.
I am not sure what tool you are using, but: Both "Curve Creation" and "Edit Vector Points" allow to insert points by double-clicking (no additional key needed). It will insert a line in lines and a curve in curves.
Again, this is indicated by the shape of the mouse cursor (a small hammer in the lower right of the mouse cursor). Additionally the text in the status bar should tell you about the possibility to insert a point by double clicking.
Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Sa 03 Nov 2018 00:28I like Photoline a lot & it works very well, but often it's difficult to figure out how to use it because the User Guide & terminology are very unclear in English.
Enhancements to the documentation are welcome.

Martin
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Hoogo hat geschrieben: So 04 Nov 2018 11:25
Tom Fulery hat geschrieben: Sa 03 Nov 2018 00:28When I try to use the 'Convert Vector Point' tool, nothing usually happens. But I finally discovered that if I simply double-click + Command on the vector line it adds a curve point which is then easy to edit...
It also took me quite a while to find that this "..point" tool asks to click onto the lines, not onto the points.
You can click on both, the path or the point. If you are clicking on the point, it will convert the part of the path before the clicked point.

Martin