Strange Error, my fault, but how do I fix it?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Strange Error, my fault, but how do I fix it?

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

I recently used an XP TweakUI utility to change my default "My Documents" folder to a new location. I want to keep it that way. But now when I boot up PL32, I get this message:

"A severe error has occurred. You should try to save your changed documents with a different name and restart the application."

Now, here's more clues to what's going on. Because I like running PL32 from a camera memory-card, I also made a "UserSettings" folder right in my PhotoLine32 installed-to folder. This way I just have to copy that folder to my camera's card any time I want to update my work-space on the camera memory-card.

If I rename that folder to something different, and let PL32 use the default system "UserSettings" folder, then everything is okay. No error message. If I make the "UserSettings" folder in the PL32 folder available again by naming it back to that, then I get the error again.

Can someone tell me which file in the UserSettings folder might be causing this error? I'd hate to have to reconfigure my whole work-space from the beginning again. Or let me know what string in one of the files that might cause this error? I could just hand edit it if its something simple, using a text search & replace utility.

Thanks!
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Strange Error, my fault, but how do I fix it?

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Koyaanis hat geschrieben:I recently used an XP TweakUI utility to change my default "My Documents" folder to a new location. I want to keep it that way. But now when I boot up PL32, I get this message:
"A severe error has occurred. You should try to save your changed documents with a different name and restart the application."
Normally it's no problem to move "My Documents". Perhaps you stored something "special" in it.
Koyaanis hat geschrieben:Can someone tell me which file in the UserSettings folder might be causing this error? I'd hate to have to reconfigure my whole work-space from the beginning again. Or let me know what string in one of the files that might cause this error? I could just hand edit it if its something simple, using a text search & replace utility.
I would first of all try "PhotoLine.inf" to rename. I think it will work after this, but most of your settings will be gone. If it works, please send me the file and I will see, where the problem is.

Gerhard
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Thanks. I tried renaming the photoline.inf file, and the photoline.INI file. It didn't help. So then I moved the files in my "UserSettings" folder (in the PL32 folder), to a backup folder, a few files at a time, to try to narrow down which file might be causing the error. I still couldn't find the problem that way. :-)

So, I went ahead and copied all the files from my "...\Application Data\Photoline\" folder to my "UserSettings" folder as I had first done long ago, and it runs just fine again. I lost a few workspace settings, but nothing that I can't change as I find them.

How odd. Perhaps one of the *.bru or *.plu files became corrupted in that "UserSettings" directory at some point, and it was totally unrelated to anything I had changed? I have some bad RAM that causes bizarre lock-ups on occasion, it might have done that.

In any case, I'll live with the "fix" I did, but it sure was an odd one. I just wanted to be sure this wasn't some known error because of my changing the default "My Documents" location or something.

Thanks for trying to help me sort it out. I sure do run into some odd situations sometimes, trying new things where others rarely go. :-)
MVGL
Mitglied

Strange Error

Beitrag von MVGL »

Some time ago PL32 showed a similar malfunction on Win98SE.
I found out that the file "UserSettings\ActiveBrush.bru" was shortened by a former crash of PL32 to about 10 or 0 Bytes. PL32 couldn't be started afterwards at all. Because I couldn't find out what this file is saved for I simply delete it occasionally. PL32 will create it again.

Greetings, Martin.