How does Layer List: "Protected underlying tranparency" switch work?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Simon
Mitglied

How does Layer List: "Protected underlying tranparency" switch work?

Beitrag von Simon »

Hi,

Do you know how does Layer List: "Protected underlying tranparency" switch work?
If I click it a "ban" icon appears on it, but I am able to modify the transparency with no restrictions.

Thank you

PD I may also comment that even when I have used PL by years, it is annoying the lack of explanation in the manual as well as video tutorials. You should not contact support to know how a feature in regular conditions work.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: How does Layer List: "Protected underlying tranparency" switch work?

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 04:45Do you know how does Layer List: "Protected underlying tranparency" switch work?
If I click it a "ban" icon appears on it, but I am able to modify the transparency with no restrictions.
If you have a transparent document (checkerboard background), then a layer with that option will not add additional opacity. It will just change the color of the pixels that are already opaque.
Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 04:45PD I may also comment that even when I have used PL by years, it is annoying the lack of explanation in the manual as well as video tutorials. You should not contact support to know how a feature in regular conditions work.
The documentation says:
If Protect Underlying Transparency is activated, the active layer will not modify the transparency built-up by the preceding layers.
What is missing in this explanation? If someone has a proposal for a better explanation, I can add it to the manual.

Martin
Simon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Simon »

What is missing in this explanation? If someone has a proposal for a better explanation, I can add it to the manual.
I may add a way to reproduce the behaviour, as I said (even now) I do not see how it works.
If Protect Underlying Transparency is activated, the active layer will not modify the transparency built-up by the preceding layers.
What does it mean?:
1. I create a layer 1.
2 I create layer 2 and I turn the protection on.
3. I modify the first layer and the second will keep its opacity.
However, it does not work this way. I can freely change the transparency.

I also did this.
1. Create Layer 1
2. Create Layer 2 and turn protection on.
3. Delete the background.
Layer 2 is transparent while it is over the background, it recovers its opacity when is over Layer 1.

I am sorry, but I do not see the purpose for this.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 19:02I also did this.
1. Create Layer 1
2. Create Layer 2 and turn protection on.
3. Delete the background.
Layer 2 is transparent while it is over the background, it recovers its opacity when is over Layer 1.
Basically, that's it, only that layer 2 doesn't recover its opacity, but uses the opacity of layer 1 in your situation. Generally speaking it uses the opacity of its background.
Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 19:02I am sorry, but I do not see the purpose for this.
Not everyone needs every function.

Martin
Simon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Simon »

Thank you again Martin.
Please consider my suggestion regarding the documentation, having how to's with each functionality would be amazing.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 19:02 I am sorry, but I do not see the purpose for this.
Transparency lock is nigh-on essential for complex compositing work and for digital drawing/painting, or even pixel art. Simple example would be colouring comics (line art).
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait