Simon
Mitglied

How placeholders work?

Beitrag von Simon »

Hi,

Do you know how the placehorders works?
From the manual:
"6.2.11 Placeholder Layer
The Placeholder Layer tool is used to create placeholder layers (see chapter 2.3.7). In the Tool Settings the option Show File Panel allows you to choose whether a file is inserted directly after creation."

In chapter 2.3.7 is mentioned a "Placeholder Layer tool" but there is not a way to find it or how to use it but by going to chapter 6.2.11 that tells to search the "Tool Settings the option Show File Panel " but neither explains where is it.

Thank you.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: How placeholders work?

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

The Placeholder Layer tool is at the same place as the the vector shape tools. A long click opens a list and it is there at the bottom.
PlaceholderTool.png
Its position in indirectly given by its following tool: the text tool.

Martin
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Simon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Simon »

Thank you very much.

It would take me a few years to find it by myself, as I found the Measurement Tool from the Magnifier ones. :D
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Another method is to click the "New Layer" button at the bottom of the layer panel, and select "Placeholder layer" from the drop-down list.

Or switch to the Layer tool (Q), hold down the <CTRL> key, and click OR drag in the document/canvas: this creates a new layer, and the type of layer can be picked from that same drop-down list.

To convert a selection of one or more layers/groups to a placeholder layer, use the menu bar Layout-->Placeholder-->Create from Layer.
Which perhaps should be renamed to "Create From Selected Layer(s)" for more clarity.

I generally keep the Layer panel open at all times, and convert selected layers to Placeholder layers with the Type drop-down. Or use the Layer-->Convert Layer Type menu option.

To create linked placeholder layers, drag an image file or PhotoLine file into the document while holding down the <OPTION> key.

I would welcome an additional entry in the right-mouse click contextual menu when right-mouse clicking a selection of layers to convert to a Placeholder layer. To me Placeholder are pretty much identical to Photoshop's Smart Objects, and Placeholder layers have an important enough status to warrant that.

I agree that the Placeholder tool should be moved from the vector object list. A placeholder is not a vector object, in my opinion, and a unique important tool.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
christhanah274
Mitglied

Beitrag von christhanah274 »

Khám phá 2 loại kem mắt chất lượng tốt nhất tặng bạn gái 20/10

Kem mắt đã và đang trở thành những dòng sản phẩm được các bạn nữ đặc biệt săn đón và yêu thích ở thời điểm hiện tại. Đây là dòng sản phẩm có tác dụng làm đẹp rất lớn, nó giúp nàng giữ được vùng da dưới mắt luôn được căng mịn. Vậy thì các chàng trai chúng ta còn chờ đợi gì mà không mua ngay 3 dòng kem mắt dưới đây để làm quà tặng 20/10 ngay đi thôi! Xem thêm: https://muckrack.com/qua-tang-legonna
  • Kem mắt SK-II R.N.A Power Eye Cream Radical New Age
Đứng ở vị trí đầu tiên trong 3 gợi ý dòng kem mắt chất lượng tốt nhất hiện nay mà các chàng trai chúng ta có thể dành làm quà tặng đặc biệt cho bạn gái nhân ngày lễ 20/10 sắp tới đó chính là dòng sản phẩm kem mắt SK-II R.N.A Power Eye Cream Radical New Age.

Kem mắt SK-II R.N.A Power Eye Cream Radical New Age được đánh giá là một trong top những dòng kem mắt chất lượng tốt nhất ở thời điểm hiện tại.

Với chất lượng cực kỳ ấn tượng trong việc giúp cung cấp dưỡng ẩm cho vùng da quanh mắt, SK-II R.N.A Power Eye Cream Radical New Age giúp ngăn chặn quá trình lão hóa da ở vùng mắt vô cùng tốt.

Mẫu mã thiết kế của dòng kem SK-II R.N.A Power Eye Cream Radical New Age này cũng cực kỳ bắt mắt, cùng chất lượng nuôi dưỡng tái tạo vùng da mắt hiệu quả, đây xứng đáng là một món quà tặng ý nghĩa thiết thực nhất mà các chàng trai có thể chọn lựa làm quà tặng cho bạn gái nhân ngày 20/10. Xem chi tiết: quà tặng Legonna
  • Kem mắt Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Serum Synchronized Complex II
Tiếp theo, chúng ta không thể không nhắc đến dòng sản phẩm kem mắt đang được rất nhiều chị em phụ nữ săn đón và yêu thích, đó chính là dòng kem mắt cao cấp Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Serum Synchronized Complex II.

Thành phần dưỡng chất vô cùng tuyệt vời, kem mắt Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Serum Synchronized Complex II sẽ giúp chúng ta nuôi dưỡng và tái tạo cùng da mắt, ngăn ngừa quá trình lão hóa, chảy xệ ở vùng da này cực kỳ hiệu quả.

Khi chọn em kem mắt này để làm quà tặng cho bạn gái nhân ngày 20/10 sắp tới sẽ giúp nàng có thêm sản phẩm chăm sóc làm đẹp vô cùng chất lượng, và chắc rằng sẽ không có bạn gái nào có thể cưỡng lại sức hút của món quà tặng này. Tham khảo thêm: http://medium.com/@info.leorno

Tin chắc rằng, em kem mắt này là sẽ món quà tặng vô cùng ý nghĩa và thể hiện sự tâm lý của bạn, giúp bạn ghi điểm trong mắt bạn gái của mình hơn nữa đấy nhé!
Zuletzt geändert von christhanah274 am Do 18 Feb 2021 05:03, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 05:19 Do you know how the placeholders works?
But the answers given here don't really answer the original question. They explain how to find it and how to implement it.

But what does it do? What is the advantage of using it?
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben: Fr 29 Mai 2020 21:05
Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 05:19 Do you know how the placeholders works?
But the answers given here don't really answer the original question. They explain how to find it and how to implement it.

But what does it do? What is the advantage of using it?
Placeholders are similar in concept as Smart Objects in Photoshop, Comps in After Effects, or linked scenes in Blender (look it up if you have never heard of those):

1) PhotoLine allows for a mostly non-destructive workflow and instanced virtual layers. This is awesome, but comes with a caveat when a composition becomes complex with many live adjustment layers: processing goes up, and things slow down. Converting groups of layers to placeholders allow PhotoLine to render those parts only once, reducing processing.

2) While many effects are non-destructive, some are not. Likewise, external Photoshop compatible plugins are applied destructively. Converting a layer or layers to a placeholder layer allows many of these ordinarily destructive effects to be applied non-destructively.

3) Placeholders are great for organizational purposes: Instead of dealing with hundreds of layers in the same layer stack, placing related groups of layers in their own placeholder(s) frees up the main layer stack.

4) Files can be placed as links. When a PhotoLine, svg, psd, ai, etc. file is dragged into your document while holding down the ALT key, an external placeholder layer is placed instead. This is a huge advantage when working with documents. (The reasons are self-explanatory!)

5) Placeholders can be nested in other placeholders, allowing for a cascade of re-usable components. Save often-used components as PLD files, and place these as externally linked placeholders in your files. For example, a logo. If the client changes that logo, all the past client work is updated with the new version, without any manual intervention!

6) in case it wasn't made clear in (2): many external Photoshop compatible plugins become live adjustable effects when applied to a placeholder layer. This is quite unique, and I believe only Fireworks and Photoshop itself allow for this otherwise.

In short, placeholder are 'da bomb'.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Wow, that's a lot of really useful info. Placeholders always where some sort of unexplored area for me.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Sa 30 Mai 2020 18:28 4) Files can be placed as links. When a PhotoLine, svg, psd, ai, etc. file is dragged into your document while holding down the ALT key, an external placeholder layer is placed instead. This is a huge advantage when working with documents. (The reasons are self-explanatory!)
Can i somehow use external file inside placeholder inside PLD document as a link? So PLD document will contain only color corrections and link to image source, but not actual large sized image file?
Currently if i create Placeholder layer and put image inside it, it always affects PLD total file size.

Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

shijan hat geschrieben: Do 09 Jul 2020 19:06 Can i somehow use external file inside placeholder inside PLD document as a link? So PLD document will contain only color corrections and link to image source, but not actual large sized image file?
There are several ways:
- There is the menu command "File > Open As Placeholder" which will always create a link to the original file.
- If you drag a file onto a document while holding Cmd+Alt (on macOS), it will create a link.
- The Placeholder Tool has an option in the Tool Settings whether the created placeholder layer should embed a file or link to it.
- For raw files there is an option to create a file-based placeholder in the settings/preferences at "File > Raw".

Martin
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

"File > Open As Placeholder" works great! It helps a lot when i need create multiple color correction versions of same file and compare them side by side in separate windows. No more mess of multiple temporary copies of same file source.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Should it work like this?:

File -> Open as Placeholder
Switch to "Document mode"
Crop
Apply adjustment layer
---
Adjustment layer don't creates mask for itself based on cropped area.

(I just expect adjustments based on cropped area, but not based on hidden external document borders)
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

shijan hat geschrieben: Sa 11 Jul 2020 02:11 Should it work like this?:

File -> Open as Placeholder
Switch to "Document mode"
Crop
Apply adjustment layer
---
Adjustment layer don't creates mask for itself based on cropped area.
What is "Apply adjustment layer"?

Adjustment layers restricted to the active layer ("Group with previous layer") are created having the size of that layer. Document wide adjustment layers are created in document size.

If you create an adjustment layer via "Layer > New Adjustment Layer > ...", the adjustment dialog has a button in the lower left corner for "Group with active layer".
If you create the new adjustment layer via the Adjustment Layer panel, the menu you chose the adjustment from also has an entry "Group with previous layer".

Martin
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Yep, seems some things just worked not as i expected and this cause a little confusion. And it appears it was not related to Placeholder at all. Here is explanation:
- Document crop.
- Apply Adjustment filter inside layer.
- Move Adjustment filter to document.
- Adjustment filter mask keep using external document border, instead of "new" cropped document border.
Bild

But when i apply Adjustment filter from start to document - it works as expected. Filter mask use cropped document border.
Bild